Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways (QR) Partners With AS and Adds SEA-DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways (QR) Partners With AS and Adds SEA-DOH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The 351 has the mini aft cabin with just 8 QSuites, which is probably the best of the 4 or so Q versions, but they're all great.
Mini QSuites cabin on A351 is nice, but worth noting that 777 has 4 lavs (two front, two at L2/R2) in J as opposed to only 3 on A351 (two front, one at L2) for roughly the same number of passengers.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’ve only ever flown the Qsuites on the 777. I will be flying it out of Seattle in January on the 777, assuming everything goes according to plan. Is it worth it to fly down out of LAX or SFO for the A350? Are the Qsuites that noticeably different?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Biggest difference is the lack of center overhead bins on the A350, cameras and noise. But no difference really on the QSuites themselves.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I’ve only ever flown the Qsuites on the 777. I will be flying it out of Seattle in January on the 777, assuming everything goes according to plan. Is it worth it to fly down out of LAX or SFO for the A350? Are the Qsuites that noticeably different?
It would be for me, but I'm already in SF. Nonstop is always preferred, and the difference is somewhat negligible, as noted below.

Originally Posted by ffman999
Biggest difference is the lack of center overhead bins on the A350, cameras and noise. But no difference really on the QSuites themselves.
I agree with this completely, but I've always preferred Airbii to the Boeings, plus the former still has a slightly new plane smell. (and is quieter, for sure)
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by ffman999
"An A350 XWB is nine decibels quieter than a Boeing 777-300ER, and it is six decibels quieter than the newer 787 Dreamliner,” Caudron said. “Decibels are not measured in a linear scale—it's an algorithmic scale—so three decibels is actually double the noise energy."
(Source: https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...0-first-flight)

Hmph... nine decibels is quite a lot, isn't it? o.O
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I booked SEA-SFO-DOH-FRA purely to try out the A350-1000. Not sure I'll get a chance to fly on that bird anytime soon. The only downside is we don't get access to ANY of the QR lounges, from the looks of it, unless in F/J. Paid access is $45 for the "steerage" lounge and $96 for the Business/First class lounge in Doha.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I booked SEA-SFO-DOH-FRA purely to try out the A350-1000. Not sure I'll get a chance to fly on that bird anytime soon. The only downside is we don't get access to ANY of the QR lounges, from the looks of it, unless in F/J. Paid access is $45 for the "steerage" lounge and $96 for the Business/First class lounge in Doha.
Just be advised there is only one bathroom or one less bathroom apparently on the A350-1000. For me the convenience of flying out of SEA directly to DOH out performs considering the hard products are identical.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Just be advised there is only one bathroom or one less bathroom apparently on the A350-1000. For me the convenience of flying out of SEA directly to DOH out performs considering the hard products are identical.
fyi, you're responding to a post about Y, not J, and it's one less bathroom, not one bathroom for J. It's also somewhat irrelevant if you end up in the mini-cabin (rows 11 or 12) as there's a lav at the front (behind the main J cabin) that effectively gives you 1 lav for 8 seats.

Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Has someone already reported this quirk? I want 2 business class tickets from LAX-DAR on Qatar.

Day 1 - 120K per ticket (business)
Day 2 - 280K per ticket (business)

I attempted to ticket Day 1 at 120K with no success. I called AS. The agent told me that there are two levels of business class fares on Qatar. Apparently the 280K tickets are getting issued but the 120K tickets are not. Needless to say, I have no interest in spending 560K AS miles for 2 one way seats.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has someone already reported this quirk? I want 2 business class tickets from LAX-DAR on Qatar.

Day 1 - 120K per ticket (business)
Day 2 - 280K per ticket (business)

I attempted to ticket Day 1 at 120K with no success. I called AS. The agent told me that there are two levels of business class fares on Qatar. Apparently the 280K tickets are getting issued but the 120K tickets are not. Needless to say, I have no interest in spending 560K AS miles for 2 one way seats.

Destinations to Africa can be as low as 85k one-way
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have booked three round trip tickets at the lower rate/redemption level in the last month.
SanDiego1K and NWplatinum like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
fyi, you're responding to a post about Y, not J, and it's one less bathroom, not one bathroom for J. It's also somewhat irrelevant if you end up in the mini-cabin (rows 11 or 12) as there's a lav at the front (behind the main J cabin) that effectively gives you 1 lav for 8 seats.

You don’t think the people in the forward cabin won’t use the rear lav?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Which is why I used the word "effectively".

Have you flown QR? Not so surprisingly, they're also quite effective at policing the cabins.

Edit: policing obviously applies to Y poachers. I should use "managing", as on my last flight in the forward cabin (SFO-DOH) they encouraged J pax to use the 2 front, kept them clean after each use and only closed 1 off for the crew for brief periods, not the entire flight.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Aug 19, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
“…keeping in mind that the closest lav may be behind you.”
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by dayone
“…keeping in mind that the closest lav may be behind you.”
And "behind you" takes on new meanings in Qsuites!
NWplatinum and ffman999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.