Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Black Friday Deals (2020) + 6x Visa Spend Bonus

Black Friday Deals (2020) + 6x Visa Spend Bonus

Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I wonder if the yearly Cyber Monday sale (starting next week) will overlap with the next Seahawks home game...that would be sweet
Boraxo and NoLaGent like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:51 pm

SJC to HNL/OGG in F for $309 OW. That’s pretty good.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by olouie
SJC to HNL/OGG in F for $309 OW. That’s pretty good.
I agree. And the SFO/LAX-EWR for sub $300 (F, OW) are a steal.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I agree. And the SFO/LAX-EWR for sub $300 (F, OW) are a steal.
As is SEA-FLL for $279. At 2712 miles it is only 9 miles shorter than LAX-SJO. 4,746 EQM assuming normal accrual in the new year.

James
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agreed. Nothing yet for the dates or destinations I need. Of course my multitude of BofA certs expire at end of December, so I'm not expecting many fare sales before Jan 1. I expect there are millions of the certs that will expire worthless as people are still hesitant to book anything in absence of the vaccine timing and other COVID factors.
Off Topic, but an important consideration & strategy for those with expiring companion certificates that aren't feeling the love of Black Friday, Cyber Monday Specials.

If the BF specials aren't doing you any favours and you have Companion Certificates expiring, why let them go to waste? Remember that the expiry date is the last date that the certificate can be attached to an itinerary, not the date it must be consumed by. In late December, you can use the companion certificates for itineraries through EOS which will be mid/late November 2021.

Since there are no change fees, you could book something, anything now and change it to what you want later. Once seat-blocking winds down & the "prospect" of U space returning, you could even move into F on an appropriate fare (which you are only paying for once) if you have GGUs to apply.

For the minimal out of pocket, you could purchase a cheap itinerary say $125 +/- and companion with a certificate for $99 + taxes & fees. Sure, the savings looks like $26 but you have locked in the companion at $99. Lets say you later change your itinerary and the primary passenger fare is $500. You would pay an additional $375 for yourself (already paid $125) & the $99 companion is already taken care of outside any additional fees & taxes. Your savings for the companion is now $401.

The change feature online is pretty robust and you can easily change itineraries with an attached companion certificate. I had an itinerary to HNL, booked with a companion certificate with an extended December 2020 expiry date for travel this week, which I unwound. Instead of canceling the itinerary, I just went online and changed it to an itinerary to FLL in January preserving the companion certificate. There was a $300 decrease in fare which was processed immediately to my wallet. If you still can't utilize the itinerary, a worse case scenario would be having a few hundred dollars in your wallet.

On topic! While the BF/CM specials aren't much to write home about, there has been a deluge of specials and excellent fares leading up to Thanksgiving and I anticipate there will be many more forthcoming. Secure your companion certificates now and take advantage of specials in the New Year.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 30, 2020 at 9:00 am
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:50 am

Sfo to ORD $151 OW or $303 RT in F. That’s pretty great. Technically cyber Monday sale?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:21 am

Sfo to ORD $151 OW or $303 RT in F. That’s pretty great. Technically cyber Monday sale?
Fantastic fare but unfortunately ORD currently has travel restrictions requiring a negative COVID-19 test results or 14-day quarentine for people arriving from CA. It would be okay for an immediate/next day turn but not so good for a visit. The restrictions are likely a component of the low fare.

Emergency Travel Order

Updated as of 11/17/2020

In response to increased and high rates of COVID-19 transmission across the United States, and to add to Chicago’s efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the City is issuing a Travel Order applicable to anyone coming into the City of Chicago from designated states with a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19. Anyone traveling from a state on the Orange list is directed to obtain a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Chicago or quarantine for a 14-day period (or the duration of their time in Chicago, whichever is shorter). Anyone traveling from a state on the Red list must quarantine for a 14-day period or the duration of their time in Chicago, whichever is shorter...

CA is currently Orange on the list.

James
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The sale today is the same one from Friday... right? Everything looks the same to me Fares ex-NYC still suck.

-J.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Fantastic fare but unfortunately ORD currently has travel restrictions requiring a negative COVID-19 test results or 14-day quarentine for people arriving from CA. It would be okay for an immediate/next day turn but not so good for a visit. The restrictions are likely a component of the low fare.

Emergency Travel Order

Updated as of 11/17/2020

In response to increased and high rates of COVID-19 transmission across the United States, and to add to Chicago’s efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the City is issuing a Travel Order applicable to anyone coming into the City of Chicago from designated states with a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19. Anyone traveling from a state on the Orange list is directed to obtain a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Chicago or quarantine for a 14-day period (or the duration of their time in Chicago, whichever is shorter). Anyone traveling from a state on the Red list must quarantine for a 14-day period or the duration of their time in Chicago, whichever is shorter...

CA is currently Orange on the list.

James
yeah seems like many more restrictions to come. Also good for flying into ORD if needing to go to area but no chicago itself.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
yeah seems like many more restrictions to come. Also good for flying into ORD if needing to go to area but no chicago itself.
On the flip side, things could be somewhat better by March (I'm trying to be optimistic here) and it's actually $149 for travel on TU/WE/SA through mid-March ($249 in April) so this is something I'm considering as my best friend is in Chicago.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wonder if the yearly Cyber Monday sale (starting next week) will overlap with the next Seahawks home game...that would be sweet
The Hawks are in PHL tonight.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by owflyer
The Hawks are in PHL tonight.
Yep. We have to wait until next weeks game against the giants to see if we get any more discounts.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
On the flip side, things could be somewhat better by March (I'm trying to be optimistic here) and it's actually $149 for travel on TU/WE/SA through mid-March ($249 in April) so this is something I'm considering as my best friend is in Chicago.
Alaska has been great with schedule changes too. They basically changed all my Jan and Feb flights and let me move anywhere within +/- 7 days so turned midweek trips into weekend and week long trips with no fee difference. So might as well book now and ask questions later. Worst case is change it or put funds back into wallet.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:44 pm

That is a valid point. I should have qualified that. Thanks. It was last updated 13 days ago, if they are updating every 2 weeks, tomorrow may see a lot more red.

James
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by FloridaFlyers
Yep. We have to wait until next weeks game against the giants to see if we get any more discounts.
I will go out on a limb and predict 30% off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.