New PDX Lounge

Old Nov 23, 20, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

New PDX Lounge

Apologies if this is has been discussed here, but if it has, I can't find it. Over the next few years the main terminal at PDX will be rebuilt and expanded:

Enabling work for this is already underway, with gates C2 and D2 now permanently closed. In 2022 the new roof structure will be installed over the existing roof, with demolition of the existing roof following. The project as a whole is scheduled for completion in 2025. The rebuilt terminal will include a new Alaska Lounge between Concourses B and C. The current lounge is around 2,500 sq ft and will replaced with a 9,000 or 10,000 sq ft lounge.

Discussion specific to Alaska begins at 2:14:00 in this August presentation to the Port of Portland Board of Commissioners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJjdeIcKpk
Old Nov 24, 20, 10:45 am

Nice information, Thanks for posting
Old Nov 24, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Pt, AS 75k, HH Dia
Too bad they weren't able to come to an agreement to accelerate the new AS lounge opening; though, he hints that they're working with other options to expand the existing space in the interim...
From the location of the new AS space, its goodbye Capers Cafe. l wonder what 's coming for the "Common Use Lounge" on the floorplan ... a replacement PP option?
Old Nov 24, 20, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Williwaw previously posted about the Port of Portland's plans for the main terminal in this thread:
New PDX Main Terminal Design
williwaw likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by leroix View Post
Too bad they weren't able to come to an agreement to accelerate the new AS lounge opening; though, he hints that they're working with other options to expand the existing space in the interim...
From the location of the new AS space, its goodbye Capers Cafe. l wonder what 's coming for the "Common Use Lounge" on the floorplan ... a replacement PP option?
Just a guess, but these plans were likely drawn up when BA coming to PDX was still a thing. The intent may have been to have a space that similar to a “The Club at...” space that would give premium international travelers access to lounge space. Another thought is that DL and UA both have existing lounge space at PDX...perhaps one or both might move in to this new space.
Old Nov 24, 20, 4:58 pm

Skip to 2:14:07 to hear specifics about the lounge.

The current lounge is 2,500 sq/ft. Alaska is asking for 9,000-10,000 sq feet and for construction to be expedited. It sounds like the expedited construction is off the table.

They conclude by talking about working to "give them a little more space in their lounge". I'm hoping that is only referring to a temporary fix and not a change in the plan to construct the new, larger lounge.
Old Nov 24, 20, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
Skip to 2:14:07 to hear specifics about the lounge.

The current lounge is 2,500 sq/ft. Alaska is asking for 9,000-10,000 sq feet and for construction to be expedited. It sounds like the expedited construction is off the table.

They conclude by talking about working to "give them a little more space in their lounge". I'm hoping that is only referring to a temporary fix and not a change in the plan to construct the new, larger lounge.
I just listened to that again, and I'm pretty sure he's only saying that getting construction of the new lounge expedited did not prove to be feasible and that they're looking at options until 2025. The conversation immediately preceding was about whether it still made sense to move forward with the whole project, given what has happened this year. The answer from the airlines was "yes", with Alaska wondering whether it's possible to move more quickly.
Old Nov 24, 20, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I just listened to that again, and I'm pretty sure he's only saying that getting construction of the new lounge expedited did not prove to be feasible and that they're looking at options until 2025. The conversation immediately preceding was about whether it still made sense to move forward with the whole project, given what has happened this year. The answer from the airlines was "yes", with Alaska wondering whether it's possible to move more quickly.
That's good. My bad repeating what you already said. I wasn't paying attention.
Old Nov 24, 20, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is it April 1st already?

Interesting setup...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: