Wiki Posts
Search

I want to fly AS and gaze at mountains

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I want to fly AS and gaze at mountains

We loved our trip to Banff and Lake Louise, flying into Calgary. Spectacular scenery, and an easy flat drive to get there.

Where does AS fly in the lower 48 that would be an equivalent? Once we land, don't want to drive more than 2-3 hours to be able to sit on my balcony and gaze at the mountains.

I've never been to Montana, but not sure which AS city would fit my criteria.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Salt Lake City (and the Traverse Mountains, south of SLC, are oriented, unusually, east to west).

Last edited by dayone; Oct 27, 2020 at 2:39 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I took these on the way into Bozeman (May 2019)

north entrance of Yellowstone is less than 2 hours drive

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 27, 2020 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We loved our trip to Banff and Lake Louise, flying into Calgary. Spectacular scenery, and an easy flat drive to get there.

Where does AS fly in the lower 48 that would be an equivalent? Once we land, don't want to drive more than 2-3 hours to be able to sit on my balcony and gaze at the mountains.

I've never been to Montana, but not sure which AS city would fit my criteria.

Any suggestions?
DEN, obviously, but it's getting towards the wrong season to go there unless you don't mind driving a rental in snow.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to mention this won't be until next summer, so hopefully no driving in snow.

Getting some good ideas - the Tetons would be right up my alley so flying to Bozeman is not a bad start.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
the walk from the terminal to the rental car lot at BZN is comparable to the far reaches of long-term parking at EUG ... maybe 15-20 rows of vehicles
Thysk likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
MT is stunning, and we go there often to visit my husband's family. MSO or FCA are both great, even more so on the ground.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Montana. Fly to Kalispell.
NoLaGent and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dayone
Salt Lake City (and the Traverse Mountains, south of SLC, are oriented, unusually, east to west).
Having grown up in SLC, that would not be my first choice, sorry.
Traverse Mountains are called "Point of the mountain" locally. You drive around the point going south then enter the valley with Lehi and Provo. they have big Outlet Shopping Mall . I have family in Alpine and that is really beautiful at base of Timpanogos Mountains.
I would choose going up Parleys Canyon to Park City or Heber City. Heber City is more laid back and really beautiful. From there , you can take a day trip, around the back way and end up in Mt. Timpanogos and see bridal falls.
But, having spent many days in Big and Little Cottonwood canyons hiking , that could be a choice - get a place at the mouth of the canyon.
Hands down, my vote for number one is Montana. You cannot beat the area for wildlife, beautiful vistas and mountains.
We used to go to Yellowstone every year. Teton National Park is also amazing.
It is fun to think of possible places to travel now. Thanks for the mental vacation.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Well it looks like if I go north from Kalispell I can see Glacier National Park, and if I go south from Bozeman I can see the Tetons and Yellowstone, all places I've never been. I think I'll explore both options.

I have been to Colorado and Salt Lake/Park City so I really want to see Montana.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we drove thru Glacier on our cross-country trip in June 2017; spent two nights at St Marys Lodge by the east entrance, drove a clockwise loop via US 2 and eastbound Going-To-The-Sun Hwy the first day (it had *JUST OPENED* the day we arrived), then departed westbound on GTSH en route to Spokane the second day

ACBLtd, Finkface, tom911 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

jrl that is exactly the type of scenery I'm looking for. Interesting you should mention Spokane...never been there, either.

I love the tiniest hint of rainbow over the hotel.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by jrl767
we drove thru Glacier on our cross-country trip in June 2017; spent two nights at St Marys Lodge by the east entrance, drove a clockwise loop via US 2 and eastbound Going-To-The-Sun Hwy the first day (it had *JUST OPENED* the day we arrived), then departed westbound on GTSH en route to Spokane the second day

Beautiful Pictures! Thank you for posting. Enjoyed a moment of Beauty and tranquility.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well it looks like if I go north from Kalispell I can see Glacier National Park, and if I go south from Bozeman I can see the Tetons and Yellowstone, all places I've never been. I think I'll explore both options.

I have been to Colorado and Salt Lake/Park City so I really want to see Montana.
Consider an open jaw with a one-way car rental MSO-FCA, you won't regret it...

Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Consider an open jaw with a one-way car rental MSO-FCA, you won't regret it...

I will look into that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.