Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

December/January Schedule Changes Loaded 10/25/20

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

December/January Schedule Changes Loaded 10/25/20

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by SF1K
Not sure. Seems like at least January?

Actually just seems that days were cut. Again because of U space and them having protected us we are now flying SJC-SEA-HNL, since on our day SJC-HNL does not operate. Would have rather gone a day earlier and done nonstop, but oh well.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My late January SFO//HNL held so far.
It is interesting that AS isn't bringing more HI options back, especially in December. HA just announced that in December they're returning SFO-OGG and OAK-LIH service on their A321s.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Other than YVR, all Canadian destinations are being cancelled a month at a time upon the border closure extension. November flights SEA-YYC were long gone before this weekends changes. When the border closure is extended beyond November 21st, all December flights will be cancelled too.
With YYC being the new "rapid test, shortened quarantine" pilot airport I was holding out hope Alaska would run a flight up there Looks like the only option to get there is Alaska to DEN then United to YYC. Yuck.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
With YYC being the new "rapid test, shortened quarantine" pilot airport I was holding out hope Alaska would run a flight up there Looks like the only option to get there is Alaska to DEN then United to YYC. Yuck.
Or AS to YVR and AC/WS to YYC. The testing is a great start for returning Canadians who aren't exempt from Quarentine, but ultimately a SEA-YYC would still be a shuttle for Canadians.

If you had YYC on an itinerary that was later cancelled, AS would have got you there on WS or AC. At least that is what they offered me on a cancelled YLW segment. Cancelling all non YVR flights to Canada for the remainder of the year mitigates their risk of buying you a flight on WS/AC from YVR.

James
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Through when?
As noted upthread, the December schedule extends through Jan 4th. The Bay Area to Hawaii flights are still in the schedule from Jan 5th onwards. Of course, how many will actually remain is still up in the area. The updates to January schedule will likely be made around a month from now.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Or AS to YVR and AC/WS to YYC.
Unfortunately for the rapid testing pilot you have to arrive in YYC from the US, you can't connect inside Canada.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:43 pm

Unfortunately for the rapid testing pilot you have to arrive in YYC from the US, you can't connect inside Canada.
I understand that. There are options other than UA from DEN from AS cities with non-stop service into YYC if you are eligible to enter Canada. WS from LAX/LAS/PHX/PVR which AS is working with, for instance. Since foreign nationals entering Canada as essential workers are exempt from quarentine, the YYC Pilot is only useful for Canadians or permanent residence returning home. Just so everyone is clear, foreign nationals are still prohibited from entering Canada for non-essential purposes. The YYC pilot project doesn't change that.

James
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It is interesting that AS isn't bringing more HI options back, especially in December. HA just announced that in December they're returning SFO-OGG and OAK-LIH service on their A321s.
On the earnings call, they mentioned they were only bringing back about half the pre-COVID flights to Hawaii so I would expect the Bay Area flights to continue to be cut.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I have a Tuesday EWR-SFO flight in December that is gone. Not a single EWR-SFO flight operating that day. Have been rerouted JFK-SFO on the 6pm flight, the only SFO service operating from the NYC area on the same day.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Since foreign nationals entering Canada as essential workers are exempt from quarentine, the YYC Pilot is only useful for Canadians or permanent residence returning home.
It's also useful for dual-citizens/Canadians living in the US with family in Canada (my situation). I realize there aren't many of us and the flights from YYC are very much targeted at Canadians heading south to warm-ish areas. I can still dream/hope that Alaska brings back SEA-YYC
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
So once this kind of schedule change hits and it’s the schedule until January 4 does that mean that flights until January 4 are pretty safe at this stage? Or have there historically been additional schedule cuts/changes?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:22 am

It's also useful for dual-citizens/Canadians living in the US with family in Canada (my situation). I realize there aren't many of us and the flights from YYC are very much targeted at Canadians heading south to warm-ish areas. I can still dream/hope that Alaska brings back SEA-YYC
I feel your pain. AS will return to YYC, YEG, YLW & YYJ when the borders open but until then not really viable. YVR still gives AS a Canadian presence and useful for foreign nationals transiting to a third country. Flights are still pretty light despite seat blocking. There were 3 in F when I flew October 10th. I have been severed from the AS network since April. Little did I know in August 2019 when I needed to get from LAX to PHX and I flew LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-PHX to fulfill a UA status challenge for Premiére Platinum that my *G would be extended into 2022 and I would be flying AC.

I have SEA-YLW booked for January 5th. It likely will be cancelled too. The certainty of the uncertainty is that the puzzle picture keeps changing.

James
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by SF1K
So once this kind of schedule change hits and it’s the schedule until January 4 does that mean that flights until January 4 are pretty safe at this stage? Or have there historically been additional schedule cuts/changes?
Everything's a roll of the dice in this environment, but I would say the odds are in your favor at this point, especially w/holiday demand. In some markets, any further cuts would mean no service at all...
SF1K likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
I have a Tuesday EWR-SFO flight in December that is gone. Not a single EWR-SFO flight operating that day. Have been rerouted JFK-SFO on the 6pm flight, the only SFO service operating from the NYC area on the same day.
AS's service from the Bay Area to NYC area airports has been on life support for some time now. Probably about time to choose another carrier that has more than a few flights per week if you need flexibility in day/time of travel.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Probably about time to choose another carrier that has more than a few flights per week if you need flexibility in day/time of travel.
Not there yet as a leisure traveler. A $250 transcon on Alaska will bring in 11,000 miles or so at top tier. I have lifetime midtier status at both AA (Platinum) and UA (Gold), but buying the same ticket with them brings in about 1,600 miles. Going to hang in with Alaska as long as I can as I burn a lot of miles on international business and first (or did until March rolled in). I do buy the occasional AA and UA ticket still but only when the fare significantly trumps Alaska or the Alaska routing is so bad, or so late in the day, that I'm cornered into buying with AA or UA.
SF1K likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
So we got hit with a 7 hour 10 minutes change (from 2:30pm to 7:20am departure) and I am not interested in that timing. I should be able to get a full refund given that significant change right? I cannot recall with the change in time limits are now during COVID...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.