Third quarter 2020 results are out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:12 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Third quarter 2020 results are out

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...ts-along-covid

They've got cash burn down to $4m per day from $5m per day in the second quarter. Their goal is to get to $0 cash burn by the end of the year.

"We are gaining momentum as we climb our way out of this crisis," said Air Group CEO Brad Tilden. "Each of the last six months has been better than the month before in terms of flights offered and passengers carried, and to date, we've kept our net debt unchanged. Alaska has competitive advantages that continue to serve us well in this crisis, and we are fighting this battle with the most passionate and dedicated employees in the business."
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Seattle Times analysis: https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ters-airlines/
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by missamo80
https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...ts-along-covid

They've got cash burn down to $4m per day from $5m per day in the second quarter. Their goal is to get to $0 cash burn by the end of the year.
Notable on the call that they are bringing back capacity at SEA sooner yet there is still no way they can get down to 0 cash burn while they block middle seats. They did not give any guidance as to when they would be able to get down to zero cash burn.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
WN just announced they are unblocking middle seats 12/1, wonder if AS will follow suit after the very airline-friendly report on air particles in the cabin, but if fewer airlines are doing it, it is only a matter of time they do so.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
WN just announced they are unblocking middle seats 12/1, wonder if AS will follow suit after the very airline-friendly report on air particles in the cabin, but if fewer airlines are doing it, it is only a matter of time they do so.
Management said they would be open to do it immediately but will take the next couple months to "educate" the public to be able to do it by Q1 2021. Airlines will be grasping at any study that shows that packing people together as close as possible on a plane is not high risk. Whether with rising cases of COVID the public will feel comfortable with that is another story.
notquiteaff and ft543 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:39 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by safari ari
Alaska announced right in the earnings release they extended middle seat blocking through Jan 6, 2021.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Notable on the call that they are bringing back capacity at SEA sooner yet there is still no way they can get down to 0 cash burn while they block middle seats. They did not give any guidance as to when they would be able to get down to zero cash burn.
I found that part interesting too. The move from $5.5m to $4m daily cash burn in a single quarter strikes me as a sign that they've run out of places to cut. All the realistically could do is cut more capacity which leads to more layoffs for salary savings.

I wonder if they are backing away from trying to hit $0 cash burn by end of year given the somewhat upward trend in air travel? They have $3.8bn in cash and securities. At $4m burn per day that seems... not too concerning, especially if they claim things are on the upswing every day. Maybe just sit back and let increased flying by the public get you to $0 burn naturally?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Airlines will be grasping at any study that shows that packing people together as close as possible on a plane is not high risk. Whether with rising cases of COVID the public will feel comfortable with that is another story.
The recently released DOD study provides very compelling evidence that COVID transmission on planes (with HEPA filters and when masks are worn) is non-existent.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The recently released DOD study provides very compelling evidence that COVID transmission on planes (with HEPA filters and when masks are worn) is non-existent.
right but what about the other aspects? TSA line, shuttle bus, gate area etc. that’s where I worry most.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
right but what about the other aspects? TSA line, shuttle bus, gate area etc. that’s where I worry most.
Of course, but that's not the airlines story to tell, they can only focus on what they have control over.

And for the record, I agree with you, everything surrounding the flight is where the actual risk is.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
I found that part interesting too. The move from $5.5m to $4m daily cash burn in a single quarter strikes me as a sign that they've run out of places to cut. All the realistically could do is cut more capacity which leads to more layoffs for salary savings.

I wonder if they are backing away from trying to hit $0 cash burn by end of year given the somewhat upward trend in air travel? They have $3.8bn in cash and securities. At $4m burn per day that seems... not too concerning, especially if they claim things are on the upswing every day. Maybe just sit back and let increased flying by the public get you to $0 burn naturally?
They basically admitted that they can not break even unless they get back to flying full not matter how much they add or subtract. They also admitted that shifting state of Alaska routes to Embraer is because mainline is no longer a viable option for those flights right now. They also said they want to get down to a level of staffing that matches up with the number they actually need to run the airline. With no additional government bailout, that means they will likely have to encourage more unpaid leaves or have to lay more people off. They are not planning a full recovery for two years at the earliest now so they know it will be a slow and painful recovery. They have enough cash to get by but still haven't made much progress on a fleet plan and it is unclear where they will focus their network rebuild outside of Seattle. In some ways they are good--financially at least--but in other ways, they have been rudderless for several years now and it is difficult to know what their strategy is other than protecting Seattle and trying to save money. The earnings call once again did not provide any clarity on that front.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That’s great, but not necessarily a realistic flight experience. People eat and drink. I have seen people (in a grocery store) lower their mask so they can sneeze into their hand. The flights I personally am interested in are longer haul fights (beyond driving distance) where people are more likely to want or need to take their masks off. I did fly long haul in July, but it was in int’l business class and due to a family emergency. So while the DOD study is encouraging, it isn’t likely going to get me personally on an AS plane this year.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Which of course is not the current environment, since passengers are allowed to remove their masks to eat and drink.

A confounding factor that airlines are conveniently ignoring.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Presumably that's only in-flight when the filters and constant fresh air is happening, right? Otherwise during boarding and deplaning is not going to be much better than any other enclosed environment.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Which of course is not the current environment, since passengers are allowed to remove their masks to eat and drink.

A confounding factor that airlines are conveniently ignoring.
I'd take a look at the study before you make that assumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.