Pets in Cabin

Old Oct 19, 20, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Pets in Cabin

It's been many years since I've flown with a pet in the cabin. At the time, it was Delta, and I simply (as IRC) purchased an extra seat.

Next month, I'll be heading from SEA to LAX with a rescue/shelter dog. To be upfront, he is *not* a service or support animal, nor would I consider representing him as one.

He is approximately 45 lbs, and wouldn't fit in any of the approved carriers. That said, he is also quiet, well behaved, etc - and I'd have no trouble getting a vet certificate attesting to such.

I'd also be happy to buy a 2nd seat, in either cabin.

I'd prefer to fly AS or (possibly) DL, to not deal with the AA satellite terminal at LAX.

I'm guessing I'm out of luck, and can look forward to a nice drive to bond with my new buddy - but I thought I'd ask if anyone had creative ideas.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Old Oct 19, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
No carrier=No pet in cabin

The only way to avoid the drive in this scenario would be a private charter...
Presguy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 20, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Given his size and the fact that he's not an ESA or service animal, he'd need to fly down below (cargo hold) as a pet that way. Can't buy him an extra seat - even service animals and ESAs are not able to occupy a seat. Enjoy the drive down the 5, and congrats on the new fur baby!
Old Oct 19, 20, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

NoLaGent Thanks much - that's kind of what I figured. While I'm sure I'd enjoy a private charter, I think the road trip will be a nice time anyway, and I can use the charter costs to get the new pup off to a good start.

be_rettSEA Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. While I know it's not "the end of the world", I'd prefer not to go the cargo route, so it looks like a road trip it will be. Thanks also for the wishes on the new doggo. To keep this conversation travel/flyer related, my departed Keily, over the nearly 14 years I had her, got to travel with me to 27 states (albeit mostly by car). I always thought it was neat that she was able to "set paw" in both oceans and the Gulf of Mexico. One late evening at a hotel, the desk clerk actually called my room, let me know the pool was closed for the night, and asked if she'd like to run around the gated pool deck. I'm very lucky to have had her.
Old Oct 19, 20, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Awwwww, I love that clerk's kindness and your adventures.

Here's to many more with the new one! There's lots of fun stops for you and the new doggy on your trip to LA, safe travels and a hearty woof!
Old Oct 19, 20, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Presguy View Post
NoLaGent Thanks much - that's kind of what I figured. While I'm sure I'd enjoy a private charter, I think the road trip will be a nice time anyway, and I can use the charter costs to get the new pup off to a good start.

be_rettSEA Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. While I know it's not "the end of the world", I'd prefer not to go the cargo route, so it looks like a road trip it will be. Thanks also for the wishes on the new doggo. To keep this conversation travel/flyer related, my departed Keily, over the nearly 14 years I had her, got to travel with me to 27 states (albeit mostly by car). I always thought it was neat that she was able to "set paw" in both oceans and the Gulf of Mexico. One late evening at a hotel, the desk clerk actually called my room, let me know the pool was closed for the night, and asked if she'd like to run around the gated pool deck. I'm very lucky to have had her.
I have nothing useful to add but I just wanted to say that I found your dog stories incredibly heart warming and touching. Keily sounds like a very fortunate doggo. Best of luck with your travels and new companion.
lb8001, pcoll, Presguy and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 20, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
I have nothing useful to add but I just wanted to say that I found your dog stories incredibly heart warming and touching. Keily sounds like a very fortunate doggo. Best of luck with your travels and new companion.
Same. And please post a photo of the new pooch on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...=#post26465471 once you get him home. Or better yet, while en route.
lb8001, Presguy and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Oct 20, 20, 8:10 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hi, AS does a great job with dogs as excess baggage. I don't know if covid has changed their routine but basically check in in SEA and then take the dog and kennel to special handling and check them in. I've only ever done this LAX to SEA and SEA to ANC so can't tell you where the kennel "arrives" at LAX but it's usually somewhere close to the baggage carousel. I've moved my Irish Wolfhound puppies from their first home in So. Cal. up to Anchorage and really don't feel nervous about them on AS.. Ran into one little glitch when I considered going in and out of Ontario because th wolfies need a very large kennel in the hold and the 800's can't manage the large kennels.

I've also made the drive and found some great places to stay with a dog...there is one really great B&B in No. Calif. that allows dogs and, if htey are open, it's quite a treat for dog and human alike. It's Howard Creek Ranch in Westport. There were several along the Oregon coast as well with beach right out the door for great dog running.
i
Either way, have a great trip and best of luck with the new buddy!
Presguy likes this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Same. And please post a photo of the new pooch on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...=#post26465471 once you get him home. Or better yet, while en route.
Looks like I'm getting close to the requirment for OMNI (only took 3 years, lol), so I will soon.

He's been perfect so far.. took him one night home to "work out the excitement", and he's settled in 100%.

As an aside, I think the squirrels in my yard are holding emergency meetings. For the last few years they've been raiding the bird feeder with impunity - Keily was interested, but too old to do much about it. Now there's a teenage lab mix guarding things who is not only interested in - but probably capable of - catching a squirrel. My birdseed budget is falling already.

As followup to my original question, a bunch of "stuff" came up in my personal life, which made making the trip by car impractical. After talking to Alaska, as well as the words offered by kileysmom earlier in the thread, he went as cargo. I was really on the fence, and debated delaying the pickup - but he was too close to having to return to the the shelter. The AS staff at SEA was great, and he arrived happy at LAX, brought out to claim less than ten minutes after I made it.
Old Nov 18, 20, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
So glad it worked out in the end and pleased I was able to give you some peace of mind. I do think AS does a great job with pets and I don't hesitate if I can't do it in a car. Hope all continues to go well and tell those squirrels to find another buffet!
Presguy and Bellerina like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: