Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska announces rapid COVID testing for Hawaii-bound passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...i-bound-guests

Tech-enabled health care provider Carbon Health will make rapid COVID-19 testing available at its pop-up clinic located in downtown Seattle at 220 6th Avenue North. Guests will be able to make an appointment with Carbon Health starting Oct. 8, with priority testing for Alaska Airlines flyers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. PDT, starting on Oct. 12. Test results will be ready within two hours at a discounted cost of $135. More information, including how to schedule an appointment, will be available after Oct. 5 at alaskaair.com/hawaii-bound.

At this time, testing will be offered in Seattle, as the airline has focused the full return of twice-daily flights to all four major Hawaiian Islands from its largest hub starting Oct. 15. Additionally, on Nov. 1, nonstop service to Hawaii will resume from Portland, Oregon; San Jose, California; and San Diego, California. Hawaii service will begin from Anchorage, Alaska, and Los Angeles on Nov. 20. Carbon Health is planning additional pop-up and full-service clinics for rapid COVID-19 testing in those Lower 48 cities in the coming weeks.
jaloola, Zeeb and anteater like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Yes
Awesome!

I hope Alaska is able to make the process and details for this as clear as their normal business operations.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Considering Alaska has similar testing requirements for entry, you’d think an airline named “Alaska” would do something similar for people going there.
TravelGirl322 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Would like to see the testing at the airport eventually. With a 15 min. turnaround. Am I asking for too much?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If it were free I might consider it, but not for $135 when I can get results from Kaiser in less than 24 hours for no charge.
ijkh, CO-PLAT and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If it were free I might consider it, but not for $135 when I can get results from Kaiser in less than 24 hours for no charge.
Well....nothing is "free"....testing equipment, reagents, personnel, etc need to be paid for somehow. Kaiser is a closed panel HMO and either you or your employer are paying the premium but I am glad they have made that service available to you without charge. I think my insurance would cover testing or maybe have a small co-pay. I think it is a nice option that Alaska has for people who cannot obtain testing easily from other places. Now what about this; if it is required that all passengers be tested within 72 hours, does that mean that AS can fill the seats (no open middle row)? I guess the answer would be no as someone could be exposed to the virus within the 72 hours and I doubt the flight crew have to be tested prior to each flight. Just a thought.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
No doubt. But it is a start, better than UA's $250 SFO scheme, and soon enough, there will likely be quick and inexpensive clinics in airports all over, which may be the only way to get on a plane to much of the world over the next year or so.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Gary over at View From The Wing is unimpressed https://viewfromthewing.com/alaska-a...id-19-testing/

Alaska needed to announce something, I suppose, and they’ve announce something. But rapid tests that are administered downtown, take two hours for results, and cost $135 isn’t the sort of advance we’re seeing elsewhere. It’s not the convenience or price that holds the potential to really re-open travel, the way other airlines are promoting efforts might. Someone in Seattle missed the memo. Of course Southwest and Delta haven’t announced anything yet. Maybe that’s better and they’ll do it right.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:38 pm

I truly don't understand why anyone would opt for any airline testing option at all (alaska's or otherwise) when covid tests are free for every single US insurance under the CARES act. People just like to pay for things you can otherwise get for free?

I've gotten covid tested in the US about ten times in the last couple months, across different clinics and labs, all free (either through a typical US insurance with high deductible but the copay covered under CARES act, or because the popup-covid test site doesn't take any money or info at all other than an email to send results). All results back under 2 days, same as private clinics since the processing labs are generally the same (LabCorp etc). Had I gone to these airline or private clinics fleecing people over something available next door for free it would've cost over $1k.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I truly don't understand why anyone would opt for any airline testing option at all (alaska's or otherwise) when covid tests are free for every single US insurance under the CARES act. People just like to pay for things you can otherwise get for free?

I've gotten covid tested in the US about ten times in the last couple months, across different clinics and labs, all free (either through a typical US insurance with high deductible but the copay covered under CARES act, or because the popup-covid test site doesn't take any money or info at all other than an email to send results).
Many people don't have insurance. Many people aren't "guaranteed" a fast result. Many people don't live near a pop-up site. Many people will pay for convenience. Note that these aren't necessarily the same "many people."
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

I've gotten covid tested in the US about ten times in the last couple months, across different clinics and labs, all free (either through a typical US insurance with high deductible but the copay covered under CARES act, or because the popup-covid test site doesn't take any money or info at all other than an email to send results).
It is not as simple as this. I too have gotten COVID tested, each time it's taken longer than 72 hours for results. Hawaii has disallowed self-administered tests, requires that the sample collection time be listed on the test result form (not all labs do this), and they are currently being cagy about what tests have been blessed, and which have not. The two options that the Hawaiian government have blessed so far -- Kaiser and CVS, are not options for me as I'm not a Kaiser customer and CVS has barely any pharmacies and zero test locations here in the PNW.

I want an idiot-proof, guaranteed option that will be accepted by Hawaiian authorities without me being stuck in my hotel for 10 days. After nearly losing thousands in reservations over a trip to Spain this last May that didn't happen, I am more than willing to spend the $135 to get results quickly that will be accepted by authorities for our upcoming November trip to Kauai.
zs58 and jaloola like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Many people don't have insurance. Many people aren't "guaranteed" a fast result. Many people don't live near a pop-up site. Many people will pay for convenience. Note that these aren't necessarily the same "many people."
Maybe we aren’t all, you know, American? And since Hawaii hasn’t said they will accept anything other than US based tests at this point, looks like this might be my only option.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
The "free" rapid tests available at Walgreens, etc are not the NAAT/PCR tests required by the State of Hawaii. Sensitivity of those tests is low, so wisely Hawaii has opted for the more accurate test.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by missamo80
Gary over at View From The Wing is unimpressed https://viewfromthewing.com/alaska-a...id-19-testing/
It isn't a final solution, but I see it as a step in the right direction.
chollie likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by philemer
Would like to see the testing at the airport eventually. With a 15 min. turnaround. Am I asking for too much?
Does Hawaii accept the rapid results COVID test? I thought they required a PCR test result.
QT31415 and CO-PLAT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.