Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska announces rapid COVID testing for Hawaii-bound passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska announces rapid COVID testing for Hawaii-bound passengers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:01 am

I tested through city of Seattle and it took just about 68 hours to get the results back. womp. Previous testing through them took less than 24 so I was a bit surprised, but I know there's a big backlog due to the holiday. I would expect turnaround times to be similarly poor approaching Christmas.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
When did you make your appointment? On the AS website, it specifically states that your AS itinerary is required to get the discounted rate of $170 and that results will be available by 2:00 pm the next day. 2 hour rapid testing is only available in PDX.

I wonder if those that had appointments booked by a specific date are still being accommodated with rapid testing at the $135 rate while new appointments are adhering to the new guidelines.

James
I made the appointment less than 24 hours in advance. The website showed the $170 price but $135 hit my card so I'm not sure when that changed. Also, the website said results would be available at 2 PM the following day but the doctor said 2 hours (and that's when I received them). No one asked to see my Alaska itinerary at any point in the process.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
I made the appointment less than 24 hours in advance. The website showed the $170 price but $135 hit my card so I'm not sure when that changed. Also, the website said results would be available at 2 PM the following day but the doctor said 2 hours (and that's when I received them). No one asked to see my Alaska itinerary at any point in the process.
Thank you for the datapoint. I am not sure I would trust flying into SEA from PHX for same day testing with the conflicting information. Trying to call them was fruitless.

As a back-up, I booked a Partner award on AA for a non-stop PHX-HNL flight on the 772 with lie-flat for 40K miles. If getting a test in PHX becomes a challenge, I will just cancel everything. My original itinerary is eligible for a refund.

James
BryanIAH and anteater like this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:17 pm

Thank you for the datapoint. I am not sure I would trust flying into SEA from PHX for same day testing with the conflicting information. Trying to call them was fruitless.
I can confirm that Carbon Health is definitely back to doing rapid tests at their pop-up in downtown Seattle. I drove over this afternoon and had my results 55 minutes later.

Also, when they have cancellations they appear to post them immediately for rebooking, so last-minute appointments are definitely possible.

Huge thanks to BryanIAH for reporting back on FlyerTalk! Thanks to you, I'm on a flight to OGG tonight.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by TheInternationalLine
I can confirm that Carbon Health is definitely back to doing rapid tests at their pop-up in downtown Seattle. I drove over this afternoon and had my results 55 minutes later.

Also, when they have cancellations they appear to post them immediately for rebooking, so last-minute appointments are definitely possible.

Huge thanks to BryanIAH for reporting back on FlyerTalk! Thanks to you, I'm on a flight to OGG tonight.
I hope you enjoy your time in Maui. Too much uncertainty for my liking. I unwound all my HI reservations today. Kauai is officially opting out of the Safe Travel program meaning no bypassing quarentine & Oahu is leaning towards a 5 day quarentine with a retest if you arrive with a negative COVID-19 test result. If you test negative after 5 days of quarentine, you are released from quarentine. Perfect for a week long stay in the Islands. The ultimate "slap-in-the-face" would be issuing a stay-at-home order while you are in quarentine awaiting you second test.

Hawaii really doesn't want anyone to come and is throwing up a lot of hoops to jump through.

James
Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: Yes
I hope you enjoy your time in Maui. Too much uncertainty for my liking. I unwound all my HI reservations today. Kauai is officially opting out of the Safe Travel program meaning no bypassing quarentine & Oahu is leaning towards a 5 day quarentine with a retest if you arrive with a negative COVID-19 test result. If you test negative after 5 days of quarentine, you are released from quarentine. Perfect for a week long stay in the Islands. The ultimate "slap-in-the-face" would be issuing a stay-at-home order while you are in quarentine awaiting you second test.

Hawaii really doesn't want anyone to come and is throwing up a lot of hoops to jump through.

James
Source for the Oahu details? :/
Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Source for the Oahu details? :/
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...em-is-working/

Mayor Derek Kawakami of Kauai is awaiting approval* from Gov. David Ige on his request to withdraw from the state’s Safe Travels program entirely, opting instead to return to mandatory 14-day quarantines for all passengers arriving on the island.

A previous request, to mandate arriving passengers take a second coronavirus test while on Kauai, was denied.

Earlier this week, Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell proposed a similar idea as an alternative to an initiative announced by Gov. Ige last week that requires all travelers to have negative COVID-19 tests in hand prior to arriving in Hawaii in order to avoid quarantine.

* now approved
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And now the Big Island may be following Kauai’s lead.
https://bigislandgazette.com/all-pas...W69STeEGPXvNEA

Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim signed another Emergency Proclamation today.

Pursuant to the 16th Emergency Proclamation, all persons traveling to Hawaiʻi Island are subject to the State of Hawaiʻi’s mandatory 14 day self-quarantine unless an exemption or modification applies. The period of self-quarantine shall begin from the date of entry onto Hawaiʻi Island and shall last 14 days or the duration of the person’s presence on the island, whichever is shorter.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; Nov 28, 2020 at 1:39 am
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Yes
Oahu is leaning towards a 5 day quarentine with a retest if you arrive with a negative COVID-19 test result. If you test negative after 5 days of quarentine, you are released from quarentine.
Originally Posted by Finkface
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...em-is-working/

Mayor Derek Kawakami of Kauai is awaiting approval* from Gov. David Ige on his request to withdraw from the state’s Safe Travels program entirely, opting instead to return to mandatory 14-day quarantines for all passengers arriving on the island.
A previous request, to mandate arriving passengers take a second coronavirus test while on Kauai, was denied. Earlier this week, Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell proposed a similar idea as an alternative to an initiative announced by Gov. Ige last week that requires all travelers to have negative COVID-19 tests in hand prior to arriving in Hawaii in order to avoid quarantine.
* now approved
Pursuant to the 16th Emergency Proclamation, all persons traveling to Hawaiʻi Island are subject to the State of Hawaiʻi’s mandatory 14 day self-quarantine unless an exemption or modification applies. The period of self-quarantine shall begin from the date of entry onto Hawaiʻi Island and shall last 14 days or the duration of the person’s presence on the island, whichever is shorter.
Finkface AFAIK neither of those articles contain information regarding James' original statement on Oahu proposing to or having already implemented a 5 day mandatory quarantine. That is what I am looking for a source for, so I can read more about it.

I tried a quick Google Search and could not come up with anything. Please and thank you.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Finkface AFAIK neither of those articles contain information regarding James' original statement on Oahu proposing to or having already implemented a 5 day mandatory quarantine. That is what I am looking for a source for, so I can read more about it.

I tried a quick Google Search and could not come up with anything. Please and thank you.
All speculation, no such order exists currently for Oahu.

But their points are valid, if anyone's traveling for leisure on AS to a warm destination, head to MX or CR.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
All speculation, no such order exists currently for Oahu.
Correct, there is no order for Oahu right now, but discussion & desire. I "speculated" when the Safe Travel program commenced that we would see it rescinded by Thanksgiving. Kauai & Hawai’i have done so & I don't see Maui and Oahu far behind or at least implementing further restictions. The withdrawal of "quarentine" until test results arrive is already a step in that direction.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
But their points are valid, if anyone's traveling for leisure on AS to a warm destination, head to MX or CR.
For me, HI is chopped, MX & CR are still on the agenda.

James
NoLaGent and anteater like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

As noted by Doppy in the Hawaii forum replying to a similar post by Finkface, the emergency proclamation cited in the article does not affect the transpacific travel exemption.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32848766-post1291.html

https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/Home/Co.../News/2733/720
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
So, to clarify, if flying to Kauai after Dec 1, I shouldn't even bother to get pretesting because it will be quarantine no matter what, correct? I won't be denied boarding without a test result?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 5:50 pm

It was on our local news last night. There is no order on Oahu as of now but the report said that Caldwell is asking for a period of quarantine (5 days?) with a test-out option after that.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
It was on our local news last night. There is no order on Oahu as of now but the report said that Caldwell is asking for a period of quarantine (5 days?) with a test-out option after that.
I read an article about this, and my interpretation was that the request for the 5 day quarantine in Honolulu, after a second Covid PCR test four days after arrival, would apply only to visitors that didn't have their results before boarding the flight to Hawaii, not for everyone across the board. It is an attempt to be more flexible, not more restrictive.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...fic-travelers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.