Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Will AS Provide COVID-19 Tests for Hawaii Flights (Like UA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

We have tried and tried to plan to go to Canada, but now opting for Hawaii, picked my favorite Domestic airline, but maybe should have picked UA?

https://hub.united.com/2020-09-24-un...647787602.html

What are others thoughts, will Alaska join?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
We have tried and tried to plan to go to Canada, but now opting for Hawaii, picked my favorite Domestic airline, but maybe should have picked UA?

https://hub.united.com/2020-09-24-un...647787602.html

What are others thoughts, will Alaska join?
I really have no intention of having my favorite airline be involved in my health care....when I went to Alaska this summer, I got the free COVID test from my insurance company with about a 15 min. wait and had the results back in less than 24 hours. I suppose if you're in a part of the country where testing is limited, this may be helpful, but I'll pass.
Eastbay1K and JacksonFlyer like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'd prefer to avoid these proprietary, airline-specific deals. Better if the State specifies the acceptable types of tests and then leaves it at that.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
....when I went to Alaska this summer, I got the free COVID test from my insurance company with about a 15 min. wait and had the results back in less than 24 hours. I suppose if you're in a part of the country where testing is limited, this may be helpful, but I'll pass.
Would you mind saying a bit more about the insurer and test logistics? I'd like to be able to visit my parents, and it's becoming clear what will be needed to return to Hawaii afterward, but what I don't know is how I might be able to get a test in Portland (or Seattle) to make sure I'm clean before seeing my aging, immune-compromised folks.

Edited to add: my health insurance is BC/BS, so should be Regence-equivalent, I think.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Look up at projectbaseline here in california....they are now saying you can get your result in 1-2 days. my last test was on Tuesday morning - i had the result back in 12 hours. A record all pandemic.

You can get free tests that are now coming back in 1-2 days now in California.....so save your money and risk the free testing....
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
SIde note - i think this October 15 date will finally stick.....if everyone now if finally rolling infrastructure around it.....its harder for Ige to back down on this date.....so i think me being in LIH the latter half of October.....
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The post title is a little misleading, and I don't think the article makes it clear either, but the rapid test will cost $250.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
SFO is the only airport in the country where this is an option, so UA has home-court advantage. Even there the current hours are not going to work for a large chunk of their flights. Kudos for doing what they can to fill the flights, though.

(And for all those trumpeting the CA free tests---I suspect you haven't tried to get your kid tested, have you?)
williwaw likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Why anyone would want to get tested at the airport over a clinic a couple days earlier is beyond me. I can't wait for the stories when people check their bags and then come up positive. lol
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Would you mind saying a bit more about the insurer and test logistics? I'd like to be able to visit my parents, and it's becoming clear what will be needed to return to Hawaii afterward, but what I don't know is how I might be able to get a test in Portland (or Seattle) to make sure I'm clean before seeing my aging, immune-compromised folks.

Edited to add: my health insurance is BC/BS, so should be Regence-equivalent, I think.
Your insurance should cover just about any test available at no cost to you. I've found the Pixel by Labcorp tests by mail (well, FedEx) to be helpful, especially if you're away from home where you may have a go-to testing source. Pretty quick and easy, though you may need to have at least a mild symptom and/or be in a high risk category to qualify due to limited supply (not sure they do much verification though). For me, each step in the process (ordering online to receiving the test kit, taking your sample and returning to the lab, receiving results) took about 1 day, so should be able to meet 72 hr requirements so long as you're not flying on a Mon or Tues (Fedex doesn't pickup on Sat or Sun). Test is billed to your insurance with no direct cost to you.
More info here: https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/covid-19
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We used pixel this past summer, and unfortunately, it took quite a long time. We sent in the kits on a Monday afternoon, they received them on Tuesday morning, and it wasn't until Saturday evening that we were notified of results.

Given this experience, I am a little leery to trust the online providers.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI

No problem...I have Kaiser so I just emailed my PCP who ordered the test for me (no specific appointment needed). I went to the clinic, checked-in, waited 10-15 min. for them to call me to tell me they were ready, then went to an outside tent next to the building to get tested. I had my results by the next morning at the latest for zero cost (to me).
WrightHI and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
No problem...I have Kaiser so I just emailed my PCP who ordered the test for me (no specific appointment needed). I went to the clinic, checked-in, waited 10-15 min. for them to call me to tell me they were ready, then went to an outside tent next to the building to get tested. I had my results by the next morning at the latest for zero cost (to me).
Did you tell them you were asymptomatic, or did you feign some symptom? At least in SoCal they are *not* testing asymptomatic members, full stop.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Did you tell them you were asymptomatic, or did you feign some symptom? At least in SoCal they are *not* testing asymptomatic members, full stop.
I wouldn't generalize it and say all of SoCal, when the LA area offers free testing to residents, even if you are asymptomatic. Not all of them are the nasal swab and may therefore not be eligible for clearance into Hawaii, but depending on the site you go to, they do offer the PCR NAAT nasal swabs sent to Quest, and I have gotten results back within 3 days.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
I wouldn't generalize it and say all of SoCal, when the LA area offers free testing to residents, even if you are asymptomatic. Not all of them are the nasal swab and may therefore not be eligible for clearance into Hawaii, but depending on the site you go to, they do offer the PCR NAAT nasal swabs sent to Quest, and I have gotten results back within 3 days.
I was responding to the prior poster's claim about KP, specifically. Yes, San Diego county will also test asympomatic (and, IME, use the Quest NAAT nasal swabs)---although they recently changed their policy to no longer test kids

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.