Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Will AS Provide COVID-19 Tests for Hawaii Flights (Like UA)?

Will AS Provide COVID-19 Tests for Hawaii Flights (Like UA)?

Old Sep 25, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Hotels.com Rewards
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Your insurance should cover just about any test available at no cost to you. I've found the Pixel by Labcorp tests by mail (well, FedEx) to be helpful, especially if you're away from home where you may have a go-to testing source. Pretty quick and easy, though you may need to have at least a mild symptom and/or be in a high risk category to qualify due to limited supply (not sure they do much verification though). For me, each step in the process (ordering online to receiving the test kit, taking your sample and returning to the lab, receiving results) took about 1 day, so should be able to meet 72 hr requirements so long as you're not flying on a Mon or Tues (Fedex doesn't pickup on Sat or Sun). Test is billed to your insurance with no direct cost to you.
FWIW, I did a Pixel before a trip about two weeks ago. Zero symptoms and not in a high-risk group. Still got the test over night, and results in about 30 hours after mailing it back. Test received Fri, shipped back Mon, results early Wed. Will likely try to do the same before another trip in a few weeks, super easy process and free (with insurance).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Did you tell them you were asymptomatic, or did you feign some symptom? At least in SoCal they are *not* testing asymptomatic members, full stop.
Nope, I just told him I was getting ready to travel to Alaska and they required a negative COVID test upon arrival.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Nope, I just told him I was getting ready to travel to Alaska and they required a negative COVID test upon arrival.
Glad to hear it. Sadly, I had the exact same conversation in early July with my PCP, and ended up having to go elsewhere to get the test as KP refused to budge. Alaska was definitely worth it, though!
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Look up at projectbaseline here in california....they are now saying you can get your result in 1-2 days. my last test was on Tuesday morning - i had the result back in 12 hours. A record all pandemic.

You can get free tests that are now coming back in 1-2 days now in California.....so save your money and risk the free testing....
Tried Project Baseline (via RiteAid) in the beginning of August here in PDX, and although they said your results will come back within 3-7 days, it didn't appear until 10 days later. It is probably not a reliable testing source for travel.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The UA program is a pilot program and available at SFO only at a cost of $250. UA does not administer, analyze, report or even keep a copy of the test.

It's not worth arguing about how testing works in each state, county & locality in the country. Some places it is easy and quick and in others it is hard (requires a MD order, scheduling) and can take 7+ days to come back, unless one is able to find an expensive lab to prioritize the test. Not all insurance will pay for a test without an identified medical reason. Thus, generalizations are not apt.

I suspect that other carriers will watch how this plays out. It may well be that pre-flight testing becomes the norm for most flights, not just HI and if that is the case, the HI pilot will be a quick baseline.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
One more data point for SEA based flyers, I needed to go to Alaska last month for a business meeting. I used UW Medicine’s testing center at Harborview. Scheduled my appointment ahead of time, went to testing site 15 min before my appointment, got tested within 30 min, and I received my results within 24 hours. My insurance paid for the test, even though my company would have reimbursed any out of pocket cost.

The nurse who checked me in did ask me the reason for taking the test, and I told her I had to go Alaska for business reasons. She even wished me safe travels!
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K
One of the fairly recent stories related to Hawaii travel mentioned Kaiser as well as CVS Pharmacy. There should be a lot more info coming in the next week or so.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Hawaiian Airlines is offering drive through testing in SFO and LAX
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flsusi
Hawaiian Airlines is offering drive through testing in SFO and LAX
Get a free poster with every test😀
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Get a free poster with every test😀
How long do you think it will be before airfares are quoted with a non-commissionable YC charge for Covid-19 Testing?

James
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Many of the drive-thru rapid tests are not NAAT/PCR tests required by the State of Hawaii for entry. Be sure to check with the lab to see what their test result will say. A simple "positive" or "negative" will not work for entry; hopefully if the test is done at an airline-recommended lab it will be the correct one.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Please continue the discussion here.

dayone, AS Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.