Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zero "U" Upgrade Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
Agreed. 6 open F seats, few elites flying to HNL - not to mention I purchased an O fare.
Also interesting that Y+ is booked full.
Received upgrade to F T+48.5 - much earlier than the recent 20 to 24.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
With all due respect, I find this statement to be far-fetched. AA F is no better than AS premium? Really? AA’s premium cabin pricing has been so reasonable that I’ve been strategically booking flights on AA widebody aircraft. DFW-MCO on a B77W and snagging seat 2J (F seat) or 3J (mini cabin) on MIA-LAX have been some of my go to routes. I’ll let the below pics speak for themselves, but suffice to say — I’ll requalify for 75K very comfortably and economically this year.

+1!
Alaska still getting away with smoked turkey sandwiches, cans of white or red wine (no alcohol) in first on sold out flights to/from Hawaii.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
+1!
Alaska still getting away with smoked turkey sandwiches, cans of white or red wine (no alcohol) in first on sold out flights to/from Hawaii.
And how many of those voluptuous birds does AA fly to/from SEA and various Hawaiian islands? How many to/from the SF Bay Area and various Hawaiian islands? If AA had that pictured aircraft, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, on SFO/HNL at similar pricing to what I've paid AS for my upcoming trip, I'd have chosen AA and credited the trip to the AS MP.
anteater and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And how many of those voluptuous birds does AA fly to/from SEA and various Hawaiian islands? How many to/from the SF Bay Area and various Hawaiian islands? If AA had that pictured aircraft, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, on SFO/HNL at similar pricing to what I've paid AS for my upcoming trip, I'd have chosen AA and credited the trip to the AS MP.
AS is currently raking it in, should continue doing so through at least the summer, with all of the pent up demand to Hawaii, time to throw us a bone - restore alcohol at least.
Combined with the near criminal car rental rates, I plan to scale back as much business travel as possible, until things settle down a bit - despite receiving my second Covid vaccination.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
AS is currently raking it in, should continue doing so through at least the summer, with all of the pent up demand to Hawaii, time to throw us a bone - restore alcohol at least.
Combined with the near criminal car rental rates, I plan to scale back as much business travel as possible, until things settle down a bit - despite receiving my second Covid vaccination.
Hard liquor returns next week.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
I’ve been watching U space for HNL flights and it seems AS is holding it until at least T-24, hoping to sell the seats.
Perhaps availability has opened up a bit in the month since anteater made this observation. I was just looking for U space on upcoming SEA-HNL flights and there seems to be availability here and there for the next 6 weeks, most often on the AS129 evening flight. Latest I found was 7U on 6/16/2021 on the aforementioned AS129.
I was actually hunting for availability much later in the year (November), but it's encouraging to see that they now appear to be releasing U space at least a few months in advance.
PDXPremier and Flying for Fun like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
Perhaps availability has opened up a bit in the month since anteater made this observation. I was just looking for U space on upcoming SEA-HNL flights and there seems to be availability here and there for the next 6 weeks, most often on the AS129 evening flight. Latest I found was 7U on 6/16/2021 on the aforementioned AS129.
I was actually hunting for availability much later in the year (November), but it's encouraging to see that they now appear to be releasing U space at least a few months in advance.
Yes, it has gotten better. 🤙🏻
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
To be fair, the real "needle in the haystack" has been trying to find U space to east coast cities like EWR, PHL, DCA, etc. more than a month out. About the only long-haul flights I've seen for June/July and beyond has been some random Hawaii flights.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
To be fair, the real "needle in the haystack" has been trying to find U space to east coast cities like EWR, PHL, DCA, etc. more than a month out. About the only long-haul flights I've seen for June/July and beyond has been some random Hawaii flights.
I played this game the other day in a different thread, but the real change has been with mid-con and HI for 6+ weeks out. Maybe you should do a data analysis for advance t-cons!

ps: I'd also say one of the reasons they aren't worried about the t-cons, is a very large % of those flights will never even operate...
PDXPremier likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:21 am

I don't have ExpertFlyer so I'm not sure how to interpret what is going on with AS 2599. There is no box with either a filled or unfilled "F". I assume this is because there are no main cabin fares to sell so a GGU couldn't be applied either way. There is still F availability though, so my question is how do I find out if there is U space? I'm just curious if I do an SDC whether I would immediately clear into F.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I don't have ExpertFlyer so I'm not sure how to interpret what is going on with AS 2599. There is no box with either a filled or unfilled "F". I assume this is because there are no main cabin fares to sell so a GGU couldn't be applied either way. There is still F availability though, so my question is how do I find out if there is U space? I'm just curious if I do an SDC whether I would immediately clear into F.
I believe you would. I don’t believe SDC rely on U space. If you’re on a paid FC ticket you should immediately be able to switch. If you’re on a flight and we’re upgraded into U then you’d be on the FC upgrade list.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by anteater
I believe you would. I don’t believe SDC rely on U space. If you’re on a paid FC ticket you should immediately be able to switch. If you’re on a flight and we’re upgraded into U then you’d be on the FC upgrade list.
I should have clarified, this is in fact a flight where I was upgraded to U. In the past, I could do an SDC and I will immediately be upgraded to F if U space is there and if not, I will be on the upgrade list as you suggested. I guess I'm wondering if there is an easy way to figure out which it will be (i.e. see if there is U space) before doing it.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:51 am

I should have clarified, this is in fact a flight where I was upgraded to U. In the past, I could do an SDC and I will immediately be upgraded to F if U space is there and if not, I will be on the upgrade list as you suggested. I guess I'm wondering if there is an easy way to figure out which it will be (i.e. see if there is U space) before doing it.
That flight looks nearly sold out and no U space as of this moment (see picture for flights that day). I presume since there are no main cabin fares available on that flight, the AS system does not display the F symbol.

RAD_PDX likes this.

Last edited by anteater; May 5, 2021 at 11:08 am
Old May 5, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If this is for tomorrow, 5/6, there is J2 and everything else is zero.

James
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Wow, I think AS may have finally re-opened the floodgates. I have been monitoring U availability for SEA-HNL fairly closely for many months now. And when I checked yesterday, there was still only a smattering of availability, all within the next few weeks and none after the end of this month. Today when I woke up, I saw a bunch of EF alerts I set up months ago finally fire, and sure enough, looking on both EF and the Alaska site, they're now showing tons of U availability for SEA-HNL well into next year (June, at least).

I further confirmed by calling in and modifying an upcoming SEA-HNL flight I had for mid-November. I had booked seats in G using a companion cert for my wife and myself, and we're both just lowly MVP's so we were waitlisted for F and PC. But I called in to up-fare to B, and though the rep indicated she saw the U availability, the system didn't allow her to be able to grab it for us as part of the up-fare transaction. However, within about 30 seconds of her submitting the transaction, we were both auto-upgraded into F.

Anyway, not sure about transcon or other routes, but you may want to check...
mildfrequence and FlyerDigits like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.