Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zero "U" Upgrade Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Another option is to just get rid of or modify the GGU program....I've never had much trouble maximizing the value of GGUs in the past, but it's become nearly impossible. I would be willing to have fewer GGUs (like 2 instead of 4) if they were able to be used on any available F seat in the cabin but I realize that would never happen.
This would be fantastic. I have 8 of them sitting in my account and I can’t find any use for them unless I want a 6am flight to LA on a Saturday, which would be an easy upgrade anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999
This would be fantastic. I have 8 of them sitting in my account and I can’t find any use for them unless I want a 6am flight to LA on a Saturday, which would be an easy upgrade anyway.
Yes, I found a few PDX-OGG flights with U space in August but other than that, it's mostly flights up and down the west coast like SEA-LAX or SEA-PDX....I just wonder if they aren't releasing it at all for longer flights or if it all got snapped up when we weren't looking...lol.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yes, I found a few PDX-OGG flights with U space in August but other than that, it's mostly flights up and down the west coast like SEA-LAX or SEA-PDX....I just wonder if they aren't releasing it at all for longer flights or if it all got snapped up when we weren't looking...lol.
I'm pretty certain it's the latter, especially with the miniscule delta these days between main and I fares.

To clarify, not the latter, but not releasing in advance. It's definitely available on the West Coast, where it's clearly not as important.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 5, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Right now it appears there's Zero "U" Upgrade Availability. I can't look up any award travel at all on the website.

Added: Ignore the above. I have no idea what made me mix up the two.
(Award travel on the AS website resumed working about an hour later.)

Last edited by vanillabean; Apr 5, 2021 at 5:13 pm Reason: Out of my regular brand of coffee
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Right now it appears there's Zero "U" Upgrade Availability. I can't look up any award travel at all on the website.
My first search (SEA-SAN on 5/15) returned flights with U availability, although it was over 2x the cost of the discount F fare.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Either way, U space availability has nothing to do with awards unless you are purchasing a full-pop refundable Main Cabin award. I don't think you will find much value there.

James
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
My first search (SEA-SAN on 5/15) returned flights with U availability, although it was over 2x the cost of the discount F fare.
Yeah, we established that there seems to be plenty of U space up and down the west coast....anything to the east coast?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now it appears there's Zero "U" Upgrade Availability. 😛 I can't look up any award travel at all on the website.
A bit OT, but you're right--there is nothing available for award travel in any cabin on the AS website right now.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:24 pm

Yeah, we established that there seems to be plenty of U space up and down the west coast....anything to the east coast?
That doesn’t really have anything to do with what I commented on. I responded to someone saying that there wasn’t any U space.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn’t really have anything to do with what I commented on. I responded to someone saying that there wasn’t any U space.
They said U space, but they meant there was any award space available to book online.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now it appears there's Zero "U" Upgrade Availability. 😛 I can't look up any award travel at all on the website.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlin...ar-to-be-down/
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:30 pm

They said U space, but they meant there was any award space available to book online.
Yes, I wasn’t speaking to that. I was simply stating that there was in fact U space when they thought there possibly wasn’t.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I dont know if you have flows AA domestic recently but in my opinion AA F is no better than AS premium.
With all due respect, I find this statement to be far-fetched. AA F is no better than AS premium? Really? AA’s premium cabin pricing has been so reasonable that I’ve been strategically booking flights on AA widebody aircraft. DFW-MCO on a B77W and snagging seat 2J (F seat) or 3J (mini cabin) on MIA-LAX have been some of my go to routes. I’ll let the below pics speak for themselves, but suffice to say — I’ll requalify for 75K very comfortably and economically this year.

Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
With all due respect, I find this statement to be far-fetched. AA F is no better than AS premium? Really? AA’s premium cabin pricing has been so reasonable that I’ve been strategically booking flights on AA widebody aircraft. DFW-MCO on a B77W and snagging seat 2J (F seat) or 3J (mini cabin) on MIA-LAX have been some of my go to routes. I’ll let the below pics speak for themselves, but suffice to say — I’ll requalify for 75K very comfortably and economically this year.
I’m assuming they were referring to the 99%+ of domestic American Airlines first class experiences which consist of poor seat pitch, grumpy flight attendants, possible lack of power outlets, complemented with a couple of minis to get you through your pain.
jsguyrus and navydevildoc like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:09 pm

I’m assuming they were referring to the 99%+ of domestic American Airlines first class experiences which consist of poor seat pitch, grumpy flight attendants, possible lack of power outlets, complemented with a couple of minis to get you through your pain.
When I fly DCA — LAX (operated by an A321 on both AS & AA) I’d choose AS over AA any day of the week for the more comfortable F cabin, better service, etc. but can’t think of a situation where I would choose AS premium class (even with a blocked middle seat) over AA F. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose...
navydevildoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.