Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] AS Considering 10K Loyalty Tier

Old Sep 16, 20, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K

I received an invitation from AS to an online survey which included the following questions. The first two questions asked how many round-trip flights I took last year and how many of them were on AS. I do not have status with AS but did fly more than 10k miles with them last year. Perhaps "milestone reward" might be a more accurate term than "loyalty tier".

We are considering additional loyalty benefits for members who fly at least 10,000 miles per year on Alaska, and want to understand what types of benefits would be most valuable.

How much value do each of the following benefits provide you?
- Airport Lounge day passes
- Earning additional bonus miles
- Vouchers for complimentary in-flight alcoholic beverages
- One-time complimentary upgrade to Premium Class
- A 15% off discount on a future Alaska award flight
- Vouchers for complimentary in-flight food/snacks
- Early access to award sales and fare sales
- Vouchers for free in-flight WiFi

If you could choose just one benefit as an incentive for reaching 10,000 miles flown with Alaska, which would it be?
[Same list as above but in a different random order, plus a "none of the above" option.]

If Alaska were to offer your top preferred benefit for reaching 10,000 miles, how likely would you be to choose Alaska for more of your trips?
- Very likely
- Somewhat likely
- Somewhat unlikely
- Very unlikely
- I'm already flying Alaska for all trips possible
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess I would want vouchers for free food in Y, free wifi, and maybe the 15% discount code.....I already have a lounge membership so that's not really helpful.
JPat likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I guess I would want vouchers for free food in Y, free wifi, and maybe the 15% discount code.....I already have a lounge membership so that's not really helpful.
free Wi-Fi would be great!
Xrayman likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
If that 15% off code worked with first class, I would def pick that one. Otherwise I choose the wifi since there's no other way to earn free wifi on alaska as an elite.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
As long as it runs at a reasonable speed....after waiting and waiting and waiting when using the "free" AlaskaAir.com content, I have no desire to actually pay for slow wifi, but I can put up with it if it didn't cost anything. I honestly don't know how anyone would actually get any actual work done using inflight wifi to be honest....if it takes 5 min. to price a flight from PDX-LAX, there is no way I'm going to be able to even check simple emails in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
As long as it runs at a reasonable speed....after waiting and waiting and waiting when using the "free" AlaskaAir.com content, I have no desire to actually pay for slow wifi, but I can put up with it if it didn't cost anything. I honestly don't know how anyone would actually get any actual work done using inflight wifi to be honest....if it takes 5 min. to price a flight from PDX-LAX, there is no way I'm going to be able to even check simple emails in a reasonable amount of time.
Would a warmed cookie between queries be of comfort?

You don't need to pay for wifi access to visit www.alaskaair.com. I did a lot of AS queries inflight before I got unlimited wifi access. The speed isn't blazing, but certainly not 5 min per query.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
Not until all the planes have satellite Wi-Fi.
PDXPremier and jjmadison like this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

You don't need to pay for wifi access to visit www.alaskaair.com. I did a lot of AS queries inflight before I got unlimited wifi access. The speed isn't blazing, but certainly not 5 min per query.

James
I do access www.alaskaair.com because it's free but it's so painfully slow that it discourages me from ever actually paying for wifi access.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Meanwhile, the speculation provides an essentially no-cost item of goodwill to encourage the non-status traveler to stick with AS, and it won't materially detract/dilute the real status levels. It is "kind of like" WN sending drink vouchers out from time to time to those w/o status after not too many flights.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd probably be in this target audience. I was MVP level for three years, flew about 15k last year, and only had one AS trip at the beginning of this year. I'm WN A-List and often have a decent WN option on my west coast flights. I could *maybe* make MVP again if my regular west coast business trips resume in 2021, or if I just put all of my Oneworld travel in AS once they're in the alliance.

If we were to fix the amount of each of the listed items such that they all had roughly similar value to the traveler, I'd either select the inflight food/bev credit or lounge passes. Early access to fare sales seems too random and ephemeral. Every time an airline has given me a percent-off voucher, it's had strings attached or hasn't really been a full X% off the total cost of the flight. Additional bonus miles may be interesting because these kinds of choices often nudge you that direction by making it the most-valuable option for someone who knows how to use the miles well. Wifi? Maybe, I guess, but I never buy it today except on business trips where I can be reimbursed. On leisure trips I just live without it and don't miss it.
Old Sep 17, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
For a 10K tier, I donít think it calls for much of the noted benefit. I think a simple gesture of early boarding (quicker access to seats and overhead storage) is all that is needed to feeling appreciated.

Jiburi
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
For a 10K tier, I donít think it calls for much of the noted benefit. I think a simple gesture of early boarding (quicker access to seats and overhead storage) is all that is needed to feeling appreciated.

Jiburi
I respectfully disagree with this one, because you've only added to the quilombo of entitled people at ANC/SEA/PDX. A perk that doesn't take anything materially away from anyone else is what is in order. It will only add to boarding times if there is a true pecking order kept, and what a disappointment to get "early boarding" to find the People needing extra time, people with kids under 2, military, F, 75K, MVPG, and MVP come before the 10Kers. [I am reminded of a UA flight on a 777 last year, when I was in the front cabin, and saw somewhere between 75 to 100 people have some sort of entitlement to board before I did.]
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
The lounge option is an interesting one to me. My gut was "Why would someone flying only 10k a year choose a lounge pass?". But then I think about the fact that I have an Amex Plat for lounges because it enhances the airport experience, so yeah lounges are a nice way to start a vacation! If the AS crowd is anything like the DL one, there will be griping about overcrowding if this comes to fruition

Wi-fi and food are probably pretty solid contenders too as an option. Give back something that has a marginal cost, that has an expected breakage cost (expires within X time), and if that gets you an extra ticket, it's well worth it.

I wonder if AS is considering giving everyone a selection at 10k on their way up towards even 75k qualification, or if it's more like an end-of-year bonus.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

James
Yes please, those AS warmed cookies are greattttt!
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Considering that half of those options aren't currently offered to people with status, it will be interesting to see what changes AS might make to the different tier levels. Perhaps this is part of a larger plan/tier restructuring and is tied to the survey that went out regarding the possible removal of GGUs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: