Wiki Posts
Search

Sea-ord f - $950 ow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Sea-ord f - $950 ow

Uh, been a while since I've travelled. The $489 price has been pretty standard for this route (think I've seen it as low as $389). But $950, one way, for a midcon, with 9+ F seats still available seems a little unusual.

Saw it on multiple flights, multiple times, multiple days.

Is this the "new normal" for midcons? If yes, I don't know I could take the sticker shock of a SEA-ORL flight. Any folks noticing other routes showing similar increases?

Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Uh, been a while since I've travelled. The $489 price has been pretty standard for this route (think I've seen it as low as $389). But $950, one way, for a midcon, with 9+ F seats still available seems a little unusual.

Is this the "new normal" for midcons? If yes, I don't know I could take the sticker shock of a SEA-ORL flight. Any folks noticing other routes showing similar increases?
Not sure what is going on there. I am flying LAX-GDL tomorrow. AS was asking $725 for F but once OLCI opened, it dropped to $285, an $80 upfare from Main. Still showing 9/16 unsigned with 3 pairs open & 2 on the upgrade list. As #1 , I haven't been upgraded yet.

EDIT: Just chwcked again, F back to $785, Main at $595.

James
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
$489 is standard, and it's available on that day. The $950 is simply due to availability/fare buckets. You can get it for $159 if you want to fly out early Saturday.

This is just supply and demand on a weekend. The am flight gives you the afternoon/evening in Seattle. The pm flight gives you morning/afternoon in Chicago and the loads are heavier for those 2 flights than the one in the middle.

Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The $950 is simply due to availability/fare buckets.

This is just supply and demand on a weekend.
I've been flying this route for a very long time. I've NEVER seen it at those prices before, even with F almost sold out (vs the wide open availability here). Seems more than just S&D, which is why I posted.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:02 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
9+ F seats still available
Not sure what you’re basing this on - Expertflyer shows F1 D1 for this flight, which aligns with the “one seat remaining” message in the screenshot.

(If you’re looking at the seat map, keep in mind that some of those seats are likely not available for booking due to AS’ COVID seating restrictions - in addition to the usual unreliability of seatmaps for calculating loads)

This is also a holiday weekend, though I wouldn’t expect the Sunday morning flight to be particularly full in that case
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would expect that there has always been a published fare in that range, and there has always been availability at a lesser fare. Since the cheapies are still available on some flights, it looks like nothing more than tinkering with inventory management.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:57 pm

In no possible world is Alaska F is worth $900 over the $59 basic economy fare, which comes with free cancellation and middle-seat blocked already.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
In no possible world is Alaska F is worth $900 over the $59 basic economy fare, which comes with free cancellation and middle-seat blocked already.
In the world where money isn't an object, the comparison isn't between $59 and $900+, the difference is between $900 or not traveling.

Also, they'd likely rather have the seat available for sale for onward travel. Unrestricted F ORD/ANC is $978. If AS fills that last seat with a cheapie, it can't sell what some might consider to be a reasonable fare ORD/ANC in full F.
Flying for Fun and bmvaughn like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:21 pm

Funny enough I booked this same weekend for route: ORD-SEA-PHX-SEA-ORD for a mileage run all in I for roughly 500. OP just got unlucky with the fare bucket running out.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Booked a Friday evening ORD-SEA in first, 170 dollars for traveling late September lmao.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I've seen the same pricing phenomenon on SEA-STL and other similar routes. As other posters have mentioned, this is due to fare bucket availability.

I'd also point out advance purchase requirements -- for example, AS may have the 'I' bucket (deeply discounted First) available, but if there's a 14 or 21 day advance purchase for an 'I' fare, it won't matter that the fare bucket is available, as the system will force you to buy whatever eligible fare is left (often full unrestricted 'F' class), which may explain why you see the eye-popping full-fare F price as the only option.

In my experience with AS, to get discounted F, you generally need to purchase farther in advance than with other U.S. airlines like AA, DL, UA. AA, for example, now often has 'I' available on the day of departure, even when there's only one F seat left. On AS, you'll virtually always be paying full fare for the last seat (this is just as frustrating with award tickets, IMO, as AS will expect you to pony up 60k miles for a midcon in F).
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AS won't sell F at those rates and MVPs will end getting upgraded for free... another clueless RM team
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
AS won't sell F at those rates and MVPs will end getting upgraded for free... another clueless RM team
The odds of them selling that segment as a connecting flight (i.e., to ANC) at the same $900-ish, or to FAI (at $1100-ish) is worth the risk of the seat not being sold and given as an upgrade. That is not clueless RM. We're talking about last seat availability here.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The odds of them selling that segment as a connecting flight (i.e., to ANC) at the same $900-ish, or to FAI (at $1100-ish) is worth the risk of the seat not being sold and given as an upgrade. That is not clueless RM. We're talking about last seat availability here.
Pre-Covid, absolutely true. Now? Pretty clueless. I have seen AS selling FLL SEA in the low $300s one-way at the last minute and the F cabin still went to MVPs (including yours truly plus several nonrevs). If they were smart they would have properly revenue managed the flight releasing a few seats at those low rates farther out to build up some but oh no they had the flight at $1569 for most of the year and then poof! Nothing sold. Connecting strategy is even more laughable on AS these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.