Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any reason to book non-X fares for CA flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA

Going on a necessary trip and taking AS SFO-LAX. Booked main instead of saver thinking that on such a short flight in the middle of the day, upgrade availability would be decent.

But then realized that SFO-LAX is < 350 miles so there’s going to be zero service. So is there really any point in paying for the “upgrade” here? Plane as currently scheduled is E175.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Costco Club
Yeah, I've been asking that to myself as well. I recently did a couple trips on AS SEA-SFO and saver fare was cheap. I didn't get an offer to upgrade, my traveling companion had a main fare (took advantage of the BOGO) and got offered and took a $49 upgrade at check in on one of the segments. He flew main cabin with me on the other segment and said the only difference was a wine and a bigger seat. With about 40 people on each of our flights the boarding/disembarking was quick anyway so it all depends on the value you get out of it I suppose.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've never looked at what AS passed off as "service" as meaning much. Heavy or light load, the wider seats with better pitch make for a less unpleasant experience. Whether that's worth it to you as an individual is a subjective call. If it's what you spend on an appetizer at a restaurant, go for it. If it's the difference between making your mortgage, I'd pass.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There are some really cheap F (I) fares out there, so consider the regular 75% EQM bonus plus the 50% EQM bonus bonus.(That will keep you away from X)
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Often1
If it's what you spend on an appetizer at a restaurant, go for it. If it's the difference between making your mortgage, I'd pass.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There are some really cheap F (I) fares out there, so consider the regular 75% EQM bonus plus the 50% EQM bonus bonus.(That will keep you away from X)
It would be really neat if a parameter could limit your flight search based on Saver/Main/First price ratio. Say Main no more than 10% higher than Saver or First no more than 20% higher than Main.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It would be really neat if a parameter could limit your flight search based on Saver/Main/First price ratio. Say Main no more than 10% higher than Saver or First no more than 20% higher than Main.
heads would explode throughout the AS IT department ... it's hard-pressed enough to establish and maintain basic functionality in the full website, the mobile version, and the app ... to say nothing of spending time on superficial UI stuff like redesigning the "My Trips" (or "Trips") front page
vanillabean likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It seems like a pretty simple algorithm until Main is cheaper than Saver and K class is more expensive than I or P if it works for yoU.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Even before the current situation, I would occasionally just do X fares on SNA-SFO flights as it was just short enough and I'd get an okay seat anyway. As MVP Gold/75K, the Experience on the E175 was basically Premium Class anyway and usually I didn't need to change plans on those Disney getaways to it didn't matter.

Now that basically everything is flexible, there's no reason not to get an X fare on CA flights unless you're on an E175 and you really need an onboard power outlet.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mfolf
Even before the current situation, I would occasionally just do X fares on SNA-SFO flights as it was just short enough and I'd get an okay seat anyway. As MVP Gold/75K, the Experience on the E175 was basically Premium Class anyway and usually I didn't need to change plans on those Disney getaways to it didn't matter.

Now that basically everything is flexible, there's no reason not to get an X fare on CA flights unless you're on an E175 and you really need an onboard power outlet.
I'm fairly sure many folks assume that the E175s have power in all cabins like AS mainline so the power outlets in F could be a deal breaker between sitting in Y vs. F, especially on longer flights like mid-cons. I echo many others in saying that the E175 is a great airplane with two major flaws: 1) There is WAY too much space between the windows 2) No power outlets in Y
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm fairly sure many folks assume that the E175s have power in all cabins like AS mainline so the power outlets in F could be a deal breaker between sitting in Y vs. F, especially on longer flights like mid-cons. I echo many others in saying that the E175 is a great airplane with two major flaws: 1) There is WAY too much space between the windows 2) No power outlets in Y
I learned something new today. I've never been in the rear of an AS-marketed E175.

Meanwhile, I paid the I fare on a recently booked SEA/OAK - X $69. Cheapest Y -$89. I - $129
GGU cheapest $144, 75K eligible for instant U $227. MVPG eligible for instant U $260. And there's no U space.

1761 EQMs, no?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

1761 EQMs, no?
1,761 EQM is correct, RDM 1,510 for a 75K. Hilarious to earn more EQM than RDM.

James
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
1,761 EQM is correct, RDM 1,510 for a 75K. Hilarious to earn more EQM than RDM.

James
Yep, and because of this, I get to make the move from MVP to MVPG this year
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
50% EQM bonus is there no matter the class of service. The options here are 54/69/99, so the cpm is actually better for the X fare in this case. My desire for service has less to do with something particularly “nice” and more of a practical matter that I don’t need to be at the airport early just to take care of those things. It’s the convenience of having it at my seat without having to deal with airport lines etc.

I’m only at 10k miles so far this year and most likely won’t be doing any more flying, so an extra 375 miles isn’t really going to make the difference here (plus it’s below the 500 mile threshold that AS would normally be willing to grace anyway).

Sounds like X it is.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lensovet
50% EQM bonus is there no matter the class of service. The options here are 54/69/99, so the cpm is actually better for the X fare in this case. My desire for service has less to do with something particularly “nice” and more of a practical matter that I don’t need to be at the airport early just to take care of those things. It’s the convenience of having it at my seat without having to deal with airport lines etc.

I’m only at 10k miles so far this year and most likely won’t be doing any more flying, so an extra 375 miles isn’t really going to make the difference here (plus it’s below the 500 mile threshold that AS would normally be willing to grace anyway).

Sounds like X it is.
True! However any COS bonus also earns the 50% bonus. The EQM cpm is

Saver: 5400 ÷ (500 min × 1.50) = 7.20 cpm
Main: 6900 ÷ (500 min × 1.50) = 9.20 cpm
First: 9900 ÷ (500 min × 1.75 × 1.5) = 7.54 cpm

It appears that Saver will serve you best with your current earnings and anticipated flying as the EQM doesn't come into play for you. It certainlty makes sense for everyone to make the analysis for themselves.

Other's who are anticipating earning a higher Tier may opt for First. The cpm cost is only slightly more, 0.34 cents. With that comes a guaranteed seat in First Class and Alaska Lounge access if available on the route. Also, if you need to check baggage and don't otherwise have a baggage fee waiver the cpm tips in favour of First.

James
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
SDC possibility if your plan changes suddenly or if you want to come home late/early
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.