Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy One, Get One for Just Taxes and Fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I wish I could just book the row just to MYSELF as part of this BOGO; Buy one seat for myself, and be able to stretch my seat to a bed of seats for tax and fees.

Jiburi
Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wish i could jump on it $79 each way for 1 person BOS-SEA-LAX. I'm not scared to fly, i just don't know where i'm going to stay for forced quarantine
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Absolutely horrible idea in a pandemic that is being downplayed by leadership in this country. It's why no other country wants U.S. citizens - 1,000 people a day dying and there are covid parties, rallies, and people flying for miles. Insane.
notquiteaff, JPat, ab2013 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Absolutely horrible idea in a pandemic that is being downplayed by leadership in this country. It's why no other country wants U.S. citizens - 1,000 people a day dying and there are covid parties, rallies, and people flying for miles. Insane.
In the absence of government policy, businesses are left to self help. Do you really expect airlines to say, “don’t fly” and effectively kill their future?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
In the absence of government policy, businesses are left to self help. Do you really expect airlines to say, “don’t fly” and effectively kill their future?
They did take almost 1 billion dollars in taxpayers money. Not "don't fly" but fly if you "must" until the pandemic is better under control. Promoting social interaction even with masks will only have a greater negative impact and prolong the financial problems.
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
What's the best practice in a companion situation like this for booking a group of 4, where 2 are MVP and 2 have no status?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
What's the best practice in a companion situation like this for booking a group of 4, where 2 are MVP and 2 have no status?
I assume you’re asking in terms of upgrades? Just make sure you don’t have an MVP and a non-status companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded (assuming that’s what you want).
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If I was stupid enough to fly non-essential trips, I think my wife, a physician, would quarantine me in a dog house in the yard. And rightfully so.

I can afford to pay regular fares when things are better and still have two companion passes that need a purpose in life. So this offer gets a pass from me (and a frown in the general direction of AS marketing).
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I assume you’re asking in terms of upgrades? Just make sure you don’t have an MVP and a non-status companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded (assuming that’s what you want).
Yes, thanks. And if you have 2 MVPs on one res and 2 no status on the other, is there any way to get everyone seated together in the preferred seats at booking?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:04 pm

They did take almost 1 billion dollars in taxpayers money. Not "don't fly" but fly if you "must" until the pandemic is better under control. Promoting social interaction even with masks will only have a greater negative impact and prolong the financial problems.
While the government support helps with payroll, there are many other fixed costs the airlines need to cover. If we want airlines to stick around, the government either needs to support them during a shutdown or we need to let them fly those that want to travel.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Yes, thanks. And if you have 2 MVPs on one res and 2 no status on the other, is there any way to get everyone seated together in the preferred seats at booking?
Not that I’m aware of (perhaps if you called and asked?) It might be a pain, but you could book in pairs with an MVP and a non-status companion, get the preferred seats, and then separate the reservations so you can get upgrades. I know this will work, but perhaps someone can suggest a simpler alternative.
lensovet likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I saw this last night and thought they must be getting desperate. My guess is they're looking at September-October bookings and seeing them falling off a cliff.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Quite irresponsible from AS really. This is not a matter of anyone “afraid to fly” I have no fear personally of getting seriously sick from COVID. It’s a sense of responsibility to reduce the opportunities to become a super spreader and prolong the pandemic.
tkelvin69 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most reports suggest that air travel itself is very low risk given current precautions - nowhere near that of covid parties or even many other routine activities

lets not reduce lives to some binary choice between anyting goes and lock everyone down
Old Aug 8, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Not that I’m aware of (perhaps if you called and asked?) It might be a pain, but you could book in pairs with an MVP and a non-status companion, get the preferred seats, and then separate the reservations so you can get upgrades. I know this will work, but perhaps someone can suggest a simpler alternative.
You can't split reservations that are done with a BOGO (or at least every time I've called to do so they've refused).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.