Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Seats are NOT being blocked on all flights.

Old Aug 5, 20, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I was about to book SNAóSEA in august and looked at the seat map. There were no blocked seats on any of the flights. I called in and asked reservations If they are still blocking seats. They said they are only blocking seats on some flights and that route is not included. Itís deceptive that they are posting the seat blocking policy on the website as it implies that they are blocking seats on all flights. I guess Iím flying Delta for this trip.

Last edited by sfjohn; Aug 5, 20 at 12:07 pm
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:24 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
What day are you looking at? I just took a sample of various flights on various dates in that market and there were blocks on all of them
Finkface likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:36 am
Original Poster

8/9 1:30pm flight 2709. I donít see anything blocked.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sfjohn View Post
8/9 1:30pm flight 2709. I donít see anything blocked.
? All B seats are blocked. Where they are selected, that is likely a couple.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I just tried to post a pic of the seat map from the app, but Iím not allowed to yet. It shows 3 seats in F booked, but the rest are available to select.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I just tried to post a pic of the seat map from the app, but Iím not allowed to yet. It shows 3 seats in F booked, but the rest are available to select.
My bad, you didn't specify F. They are still capping sales, as there are only 4 F seats for sale on that flight, even though there are 9 empty seats. They will move things around at the gate to space people out.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:00 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Did you mean 8/29? Your original post said end of August.

Either way, I see the majority of the B seats blocked on both days
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
My bad, you didn't specify F. They are still capping sales, as there are only 4 F seats for sale on that flight, even though there are 9 empty seats. They will move things around at the gate to space people out.
I called back in to reservations because last month they were showing the blocked seats on the seat maps for these flights. The operator just told me that the blocked seats only show on the desktop site (not mobile or the app). Also, she told me that they are allowing couples to book together in most of the F rows, so theoretically 11 of the 12 seats could be occupied. Itís not the social distancing that I was hoping for in F.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not seeing any blocking in Y on SFO-SNA or SFO-SAN. That's for flights this week.

Regardless of blocking, the reports are that AS will put people next to you if the flight is full. DL or WN (or possibly B6 - no personal experience) is your best bet if you want to be sure of an empty seat next to you.
Old Aug 5, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
The "preview seats" is inaccurate. I reported about this prior. I think this may be because it is an OO flight. AS flights are showing correctly. If you go through the booking process, you will get the correct seat map to chhose your seat from.

Here is an August 6th, SFO-SAN example.

SFO-SAN Preview Seats

Here is the same flight seat map during booking.

SFO-SAN Available seats during booking.

James
Finkface and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I called back in to reservations because last month they were showing the blocked seats on the seat maps for these flights. The operator just told me that the blocked seats only show on the desktop site (not mobile or the app). Also, she told me that they are allowing couples to book together in most of the F rows, so theoretically 11 of the 12 seats could be occupied. Itís not the social distancing that I was hoping for in F.
Net Jets - Perhaps youíd feel more comfortable flying in your own private cabin ?
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:00 pm

It's also worth noting that having the seats blocked at booking or seat selection is no guarantee. My parents report that several rows in the back of the plane (MCI-SEA) recently had every seat filled. The Alaska agent announced in the gate area, "Because this is a very full flight, you may be seated next to someone you don't know. If you are not comfortable with this, we will try to rebook you on a different flight." Sigh. Thankfully, my parents were in Econ+ where the spacing was maintained.
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:10 pm

I have had flights MSP to SEA with someone beside me in middle. Numerous flights from ONT to PDX with someone beside me and PDX to SFO.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
Net Jets - Perhaps you’d feel more comfortable flying in your own private cabin ?
No need to mock the OP. They are raising a valid point. AS is promising empty seats and should deliver as promised. And AS agents should be trained appropriately. And if there is a it in the displaying of the seat map, AS ought to fix that.
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
No need to mock the OP. They are raising a valid point. AS is promising empty seats and should deliver as promised. And AS agents should be trained appropriately. And if there is a it in the displaying of the seat map, AS ought to fix that.
I agree. It is a valid concern further complicated by the BOI agent's response. It is unfortunate, as I find the BOI agents to be stellar.

When I first illustrated the discrepancy between the "Preview Seats" in a search result and the actual seats available for assignment during the booking process, that was wide spread. Subsequently, there was an alignment between the two. Perhaps the discrepancy illustrated today is still existent on OO operated flights.

While AS is blocking seats through October 31st, they also disclose that there could be times when some of those blocked seats could be occupied.
Onboard seating
  • Through October 31, 2020, weíre limiting the number of guests on our flights and blocking seats.
  • Gate agents may reassign seats to create more space between guests or to seat families together.
  • There can be occasions where extra space cannot be guaranteed due to unforeseen changes such as reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your day of flight, please speak with a customer service agent about your options.

James

Search this Thread
Search Engine: