Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Seats are NOT being blocked on all flights.

Seats are NOT being blocked on all flights.

Old Aug 6, 20, 2:53 am
Original Poster

So yes, I would book a private jet if possible, but I donít have that kind of cash. One of my coworkers went to the hospital two Saturdays ago and was diagnosed with Covid. He died two days later.

I have to take this flight because I have a new job and am relocating. Like most of the folks on this thread, I love to travel, but Iím using common sense and not doing that right now. Iím going to pay the extra $50 for F so that I can attempt to socially distance myself. I love flying Alaska, but am disappointed that they arenít adhering to blocking seats like Delta.

So thanks for the input Flyupfrnt... I am a devout believer in karma.
ijkh, CO-PLAT, NoLaGent and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfjohn View Post
I have to take this flight because I have a new job and am relocating. Like most of the folks on this thread, I love to travel, but Iím using common sense and not doing that right now. Iím going to pay the extra $50 for F so that I can attempt to socially distance myself. I love flying Alaska, but am disappointed that they arenít adhering to blocking seats like Delta.
Traveling solo, I'll only book AS if the flight looks super empty, or I can confirm a single up front on an E75. If I can't confirm the single, I make a back-up reservation on WN, and I've bailed on a number of AS flights because the flight filled up and I was concerned AS might put someone next to me. If the F cabin looks super empty, I'll move over to a D because of the separation from the aisle.

Boarding and deplaning can be extra stressful because of the crowd in the aisles. I avoid crowded jet bridges (typically no ventilation, so this may be the riskiest part of the entire journey) and I try to board last. It's better to sit at either the front of the aircraft, where you can deplane first, or the rear, where you can wait for the aisle to clear. The thing I really like about WN is if you board last, you can pick where you sit and who you sit near. The last point being particularly important.
Old Aug 6, 20, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Listen -

As a frequent AS traveler and shareholder I find it perplexing that mr/mrs John Q. Traveler think an airline owes it to them to block half the seats in FC (Or 1/3 in Coach) to assuage their fears of contracting Covid. As Others have mentioned 6 foot distancing applies fore and aft as well as side to side. I would estimate that in 90 % or more of circumstances you aren’t going to get that in the current environment. The airline is trying to run a business and lose LESS money each day than the day before. I’ve been on somewhere around 30 AS flights since Covid came about (way More than most posters here I would guess) and have seen passenger loads fluctuate up and down and I’ve yet to have a stranger seated next to me in FC Or Coach.

Personally, I do not like Swimming in the ocean because I am (irrationally) scared of being bitten by a Shark.
Many of you likely don’t share that fear. I’m OK with that. But I’ll be in the pool.

Covid scares a lot of people but Covid does not scare me. Sorry, not sorry

sfjohn I’m the guy who’s wearing his mask In public to help make YOU feel better as Otherwise I’d go without. So save your Karma Comments for someone else. Wishing you good luck with your relocation and very sorry about your colleague of course. Despite our different views.
rollthere and SEA777GUY like this.

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Aug 6, 20 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by sfjohn View Post
I was about to book SNAóSEA in august and looked at the seat map. There were no blocked seats on any of the flights. I called in and asked reservations If they are still blocking seats. They said they are only blocking seats on some flights and that route is not included. Itís deceptive that they are posting the seat blocking policy on the website as it implies that they are blocking seats on all flights. I guess Iím flying Delta for this trip.
why should seats be blocked ?
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:07 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
In my experience, have flown 20 segments since lockdown, is that I choose my seat in FC or premium (as a individual traveler) then subsequently the adjacent seat is blocked.

Most using common sense would not”choose” a seat next to me when the majority of other seats are not occupied. Last Friday I was in 4F and apparently an upgrade was seated next to me in 4D. At gate the GA moved this person to 1F (all the D’s were empty on the flight).
flyupfrnt and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
Listen -

As a frequent AS traveler and shareholder I find it perplexing that mr/mrs John Q. Traveler think an airline owes it to them to block half the seats in FC (Or 1/3 in Coach) to assuage their fears of contracting Covid.

Covid scares a lot of people but Covid does not scare me. Sorry, not sorry

sfjohn Iím the guy whoís wearing his mask In public to help make YOU feel better as Otherwise Iíd go without. So save your Karma Comments for someone else. Wishing you good luck with your relocation and very sorry about your colleague of course. Despite our different views.
So flyupfront? Are you are safe because you are taking the "hydroxychloroquine" or you just never have gotten sick? I hope you fly a lot and keep AS in business. I for one will defer until travel in total is less risky. I prefer blocking middle seats. Money is not as important to me as my health and peace of mind. If I want to be in a cattle car there are low cost carriers. If you believe this is a hoax, man are you misinformed. I am no expert but, a licensed healthcare provider and you are too?

AS block the seats! No bait and switch.
Old Aug 7, 20, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
So flyupfront? Are you are safe because you are taking the "hydroxychloroquine" or you just never have gotten sick? I hope you fly a lot and keep AS in business. I for one will defer until travel in total is less risky. I prefer blocking middle seats. Money is not as important to me as my health and peace of mind. If I want to be in a cattle car there are low cost carriers. If you believe this is a hoax, man are you misinformed. I am no expert but, a licensed healthcare provider and you are too?

AS block the seats! No bait and switch.
First, you're taking this in a direction that several people AND the moderator have asked all of us not to. The bottom line is flyupfront is wearing their mask. I don't care what reason they are wearing it or what their personal stance on the Covid is - the bottom line is that this person is wearing their mask. End of story. It doesn't matter to me what their personal feelings are as long as they're participating in safety protocols asked of them - and they are. Stop shaming someone for not feeling the exact same way you do if they're still doing what we would want them to do.

Second, AS is not baiting and switching anyone. If anyone cares to read, the information is there for anyone to see. They attempt to block middle seats but on certain occasions will seat someone in a middle seat. They don't promise anyone middle seats will be open - though they usually are. I have yet to be on a flight where someone was forced to sit next to someone they didn't know, though I understand it has happened.

Finally, if you are a health care professional than you should know that the 17 inches provided by leaving a middle seat open is a far cry from the 6 feet social distancing recommended by the CDC and the WHO. The reality is this - though I've heard many stories of groups of people becoming ill after attending a party or a church service, I've not read one story about a planeload of passengers becoming sick after flying with someone that has Covid. The two HEPA filters on each airplane along with mask wearing and an increased focus on cleaning between each flight seem to be working towards creating a pretty safe environment.
Old Aug 7, 20, 6:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post

Finally, if you are a health care professional than you should know that the 17 inches provided by leaving a middle seat open is a far cry from the 6 feet social distancing recommended by the CDC and the WHO. The reality is this - though I've heard many stories of groups of people becoming ill after attending a party or a church service, I've not read one story about a planeload of passengers becoming sick after flying with someone that has Covid. The two HEPA filters on each airplane along with mask wearing and an increased focus on cleaning between each flight seem to be working towards creating a pretty safe environment.
Forgive me the Omni spin. I didn't read all the previous comments.

I am avoiding all possible exposure at the current time. We don't meet socially in groups. We don't dine in restaurants at the moment. So IF AS offered me a middle seat free option I might consider a trip. At this time flying is not attractive to most people I know who previously flew frequently. Most of us travelers are chomping at the bit to get back. I certainly am ready when it is reasonable. If I could be assured of a 1/2 to 2/3 full flight, fresh hepafilters and of course masks for all maybe. It sounds much more attractive to me, average Jane Doe MVPG flyer. I am sorry AS will loose money on unfilled seats. It is all heartbreaking. My loyalty to AS has not changed. I think "not being scared" is a poor attitude for an airline to adopt at the moment. P.S. Yes it is not 6ft but the open seats do give more room for circulation of the hepafiltered air.
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
Second, AS is not baiting and switching anyone. If anyone cares to read, the information is there for anyone to see. They attempt to block middle seats but on certain occasions will seat someone in a middle seat. They don't promise anyone middle seats will be open - though they usually are. I have yet to be on a flight where someone was forced to sit next to someone they didn't know, though I understand it has happened.
I don't agree with you that they aren't baiting people. In their latest promotional email, Alaska states verbatim, "GET THE ROW WITH BOGO For just the taxes and fees.* For only a few days, get the whole row to yourselves with middle seats blocked through 10/31.**"

Of course, the ** says "Extra space is not guaranteed." in a font size that's about a quarter of the size of the headline. Using fine print that details a scenario that directly contradicts the bolded headline is the very definition of bait and switch. Especially when other airlines (DL, for example) are indeed blocking the middle seats regardless of IRROPS.

I'm not arguing the merit of the clause, but I am saying that the marketing spin on this is intentionally misleading given what their largest competitor at SEA is doing.

Edit - you'll notice the font color is different after I pasted in "Extra Space is not guaranteed". Not surprisingly, Alaska uses a light gray, rather than a sharper bolder black, to denote the fine print. Again, it's my opinion that having marketing burying this clause hangs the gate agents out to dry to deal with irate passengers who thought they would get an empty middle (and the level of outrage for this situation is going to be a lot higher than, say, an out of stock Fruit and Cheese platter or even a seat swap from aisle to middle). That said, I let the reader be the judge, that's just my opinion.
ijkh, lensovet and Kacee like this.

Last edited by sullim4; Aug 7, 20 at 7:45 pm
Old Aug 7, 20, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Plat.
Here is the full text from the email sent to me today. Seems clear enough!

**Extra space is not guaranteed. Certain occasions, such as aircraft changes or reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight, may require guests to be seated next to someone not in their party. If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your date of travel, please speak with a customer service agent about your options
Old Aug 8, 20, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A personal attack post and replies to it have been deleted. We'll leave this discussion open, but it's hanging by a thread (pun intended). COVID discussions belong in other forums, not in the AS forum. This thread, and others like it, are for discussions of AS' pandemic policies and the direct effects of those on policies on AS passengers. This would include anecdotal posts about an individual flight. Thank you for your cooperation.

dayone, AS Moderator
tom911, SEA777GUY, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 20, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've had 7 Alaska flights over the last 10 days. On one of them, SFO-SAN, the gate agent announced that 12 passengers would have unrelated passengers sitting next to them, and if that was of concern the effected passengers could come to the gate for booking on a later flight. I ended up being one of those passengers with someone seated next to me in F on an E175, but it wasn't for long as I was offboarded due to late departure and rerouted SFO-PDX on the way to MCO. Announcement also made there that some passengers could have unrelated passengers sitting next to them, but numbers not provided. Ended up with a pilot next to me on that one. On all other segments, including two long hauls (PDX-MCO, MCO-SEA), did have an empty seat next to me.
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
Listen -
As a frequent AS traveler and shareholder I find it perplexing that mr/mrs John Q. Traveler think an airline owes it to them to block half the seats in FC (Or 1/3 in Coach) to assuage their fears of contracting Covid.
No one's saying that. It's a matter of consumer choice, and whether AS lives up to its marketing hype.

I'm currently choosing to fly DL whenever possible because they don't asterisk their empty middles promise.
Old Aug 30, 20, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Delete.

AS redeemed itself.

Last edited by Chugach; Aug 30, 20 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Very disappointed in my AS experience last Wed Aug 26 ONT-SEA. We booked AS due to the seat blocking policy, expecting as published, that every 'B' seat would be blocked on the EMB175. What we found out was a surprise seat change, where our original seats, 2 windows, were switched to window/aisle and the excuse given was "AS Policy" that customers traveling together would be seated together and we were moved without our consent. When we complained and asked for our original seats, the answer given was "if you don't like the arrangement, we can refund your tickets."

Then, during the flight, multiple passengers were not wearing their masks correctly, and the crew made their required announcements, but failed to enforce the mask policy on the ground when/where it should have been, or in the air during the flight.

All in all, a very poor experience and there was really no benefit to flying AS vs an airline that really doesn't care, like United.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: