"No mask, no travel, no exceptions"

Old Aug 5, 20, 7:36 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
"No mask, no travel, no exceptions"

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...icy-no-mask-no

Effective Aug. 7, all Alaska guests age 2 and older will be required to wear a cloth mask or face covering over their nose and mouth – with no exceptions. If a guest is unwilling or unable to wear a mask for any reason while at the airport, they will not be permitted to travel. If a guest refuses to wear a mask after boarding their flight, they will be suspended from future travel.

In late June, Alaska empowered its flight attendants to issue a final notice to any guest – in the form of a yellow card handed to them – who repeatedly disregards the requirement to wear a mask while onboard. Going forward, if a guest chooses not to comply after receiving the yellow card, his or her travel with Alaskawill be suspended immediately upon landing. Any remaining portion of the guest's itinerary will be canceled – including connecting or return flights – along with any future trips the guest has booked. The guest will be provided with a full refund for any unused travel and will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements from that point.

Neil
Old Aug 5, 20, 7:41 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
If I'm reading this right it means there's no medical exception. If you can't wear a mask you can't fly. This matches Southwest. Delta will allow no masks but only with special procedures at least 24 hours in advance of your flight.

Edit: JetBlue also just moved to this policy with roughly the same language as Alaska.
Seattlenerd and Emeraldcity like this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Great. If you can’t wear a mask for “valid medical reasons” (still haven’t found any reputable sources that someone can’t wear a mask but whatever), you shouldn’t be flying in a pandemic. Some decisions are best made outside the hands of the individual.

The faster we curb the spread the faster we can redeem miles on AS long haul partners FFS
Old Aug 5, 20, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is the only sensible approach.

Presuming that there are valid medical reasons where a mask should not be worn, that still does not account for the risk to others from the non-mask wearer. Balancing the interests of the rest of the passengers and crew in the vicinity of the non-wearer against that of the non-wearer, the answer seems easy.
AS Flyer, alanw, jiburi and 13 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
They have also followed DL in not allowing masks with valves. I saw a fair number of N/K95 masks with exhalation valves on my last flight. i also saw a guy in a hazmat suit and a full-on gas mask. From the look of him, he would not have taken kindly to being told he could not wear it. I wouldn’t relish being the FA who had to tell him he couldn’t wear his gas mask. It would not have ended well.

Unacceptable face coverings:
  • Face coverings with direct exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings that do not cover a guest's nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without masks.
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
Great. If you can’t wear a mask for “valid medical reasons” (still haven’t found any reputable sources that someone can’t wear a mask but whatever), you shouldn’t be flying in a pandemic. Some decisions are best made outside the hands of the individual.

The faster we curb the spread the faster we can redeem miles on AS long haul partners FFS
The disgusting irony is these liars are the same people who say people who are so ill or weak that they need others to socially distance or wear masks should "stay at home and let us live free"
Old Aug 5, 20, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
The disgusting irony is these liars are the same people who say people who are so ill or weak that they need others to socially distance or wear masks should "stay at home and let us live free"
I agree with you, but we’re approaching mod closing the thread territory.

To get it back on topic, does this make AS the most “covid friendly” airline to fly with, with no middle seats and strict mask requirements?
alanw likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I support AS in this decision.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Actually, every thread, across almost every FT forum, related to masks eventually gets locked (almost w/o exception)

I'm not sure why people feel compelled to keep starting new ones. At this point, pretty much everyone knows the rules (whether or not they like or agree with them). People just shout at each other, they say the same things over and over, no hearts or minds are ever changed and then it gets locked.

Then we do it again a few days later...

Regards
BigJC and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:13 pm

To get it back on topic, does this make AS the most “covid friendly” airline to fly with, with no middle seats and strict mask requirements?
Among the best. AS has always been more customer-centric than most carriers ime.
I'm very happy to see more airlines taking this stance. Until there's a vaccination, masking and distancing are simply common sense in enclosed spaces.
Old Aug 5, 20, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
age 2 or older? I’ve yet to meet the two year old who will keep a mask on for more than five minutes. That is a lower threshold than others right which are at least three or older? BA is like 11 or r]older I think. That’s a little high but two is way too low.
Chugach likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN and AA are also 2 YOA, no exceptions.

Again, the issue is not the convenience of the mask wearer, but the other passengers. I don't really care whether it is a 2 or 20 year old who infects me and I suspect that few do.
Emeraldcity and jgor like this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’ve lived abroad for a few years in Asia, and even before covid parents had their children wearing masks like we wear seatbelts (and horribly I found the seatbelt training in Asia to be horrid). It’s a matter of culture and what the society you live in puts value in.

My nieces (2 and 4) both wear masks with no issue. If travel is so necessary that one needs to bring their 2 year old, the parent will figure out a way to keep it on their faces.
Old Aug 5, 20, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I support AS in this decision.
In "what will it take you to travel again"-type surveys I've received (including one after a WN trip in June), the lax mask enforcement (including in terminal, especially @sna) was main reason one I described I was not eager to get on another plane again anytime soon.

Having this policy in place makes it much easier for the airline employees.
Old Aug 5, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
No talking, no snacking, no sipping?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: