"No mask, no travel, no exceptions"

Old Aug 11, 20, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
I donít see any mention of neck gaiters for Alaska here (just Southwest)
Airlines have tightened mask policies, again. Here's what you need to know
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/3308541001/
but Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...9a6_story.html
Old Aug 11, 20, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
no issues on AS (SEA-BWI) last Thurs, but DL (IAD-SEA) on Fri was another story: a woman boarded without a mask, and actually asked the F FA for one when he told her to put one on ... at least twice during the flight I noticed she was wearing it so that it only covered her mouth ...
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
SAN-SFO yesterday the guy in the row in front of me (F) brought on food and was eating french fries one every two or three minutes, leaving his mask off the entire time (including through the onboard announcement that masks may only be removed "briefly" while eating or drinking). Same FA who made said announcement ignored me and another passenger trying to get her attention, and disappeared to the rear of the aircraft, including for takeoff (isn't someone required to sit in the forward jump seat?). After about 15 minutes of this, I politely asked him to please wear his mask and he obliged.
pcoll likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 12, 20 at 8:54 am
Old Aug 12, 20, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
SAN-SFO yesterday the guy in the row in front of me (F) brought on food and was eating french fries one every two or three minutes, leaving his mask off the entire time ...
So many things wrong here that I don't even know where to begin. 🙄
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm 100% for wearing a mask on planes, but we do need to be careful here with our expectations. For example, there is almost no food provided or sold in economy for the time being so when I flew SEA-MCO the other day, I made a point of grabbing a delicious beef brisket burrito to take on the plane for dinner. I generally prefer not to bring my own food on the plane, but in this case, knowing that I wouldn't arrive until close to midnight, I figured I better bring dinner. While eating, I have no desire to move my mask down every time I take a bite or take a sip of my drink. If it takes you 30 minutes to drink a diet coke and eat a burrito, then maybe you do need to put your mask on and off, but I generally eat faster than I probably should so I'd rather just put it back on when I'm done eating.

Also, I want other people to follow the rules and wear their masks, but I have zero desire to be the mask police...it is neither my job nor my responsibility. I know if you kindly asked most other passengers to put their mask back on, they would likely comply without an issue, but there is always the chance you could trigger an emotional outburst that I have no desire to be a part of at 35,000 feet. If I required 100% perfect mask compliance from every passenger and crew member in order to feel comfortable and safe while flying, then I would choose not to fly at this time.
Old Aug 12, 20, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
SPOKANE, Wash. — An Alaska Airlines flight out of Spokane was delayed. Not because of mechanical problems, but because several passengers refused to wear their masks.
------

“Once they were seated, removed their mask below their nose and were not willing to put it back up,” said Schimmels.

She says about 10 passengers in the back of the plane refused to cover their faces properly.
https://www.kxly.com/alaska-airlines...to-wear-masks/

Entire aircraft deboarded as a consequence. Not clear what happened to the offending passengers.
Old Aug 12, 20, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I know if you kindly asked most other passengers to put their mask back on return to their assigned seat they would likely comply without an issue, but there is always the chance you could trigger an emotional outburst that I have no desire to be a part of at 35,000 feet. If I required 100% perfect mask seating compliance from every passenger and crew member in order to feel comfortable and safe while flying, then I would choose not to fly at this time.
Does the statement still scan with this alteration?
(Of course, the simplest action in both cases is to contact an FA if a simple, non-confrontational reminder triggers any but compliance to basic rules of flying)
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
(Of course, the simplest action in both cases is to contact an FA if a simple, non-confrontational reminder triggers any but compliance to basic rules of flying)
Does the seating arrangement have any effect, whatsoever, on safety?
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Does the seating arrangement have any effect, whatsoever, on safety?
not actually relevant to the instant conversation, but the literal answer to this question is "YES" ... pilots CAN require passengers to move forward or aft for weight and balance considerations
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
not actually relevant to the instant conversation, but the literal answer to this question is "YES" ... pilots CAN require passengers to move forward or aft for weight and balance considerations
So which one of Alaska's planes is there a weight balance issue? Is it the A320? Or the 737?

If you really want to talk about weight-balance issues it might actually be better to know passenger's weights. But almost no airline does. Is it because it doesn't matter that much?
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Yes, it does....it's not my job to tell people to return to their assigned seat or put their seat belt on or put their phone in airplane mode, etc. Yes, if you're concerned and want to do something, the easiest (and I would argue best) plan of action is to contact the FA.
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
So which one of Alaska's planes is there a weight balance issue? Is it the A320? Or the 737?
that's why I said it was a literal answer and not exactly relevant to the instant (i.e., AS fleet) issue ... not sure why you're trying to be argumentative here

I want other people to follow the rules and wear their masks, but I have zero desire to be the mask police...it is neither my job nor my responsibility.
... if you're concerned and want to do something, the easiest (and I would argue best) plan of action is to contact the FA.
this ... exactly
Old Aug 12, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
If I required 100% perfect mask compliance from every passenger and crew member in order to feel comfortable and safe while flying, then I would choose not to fly at this time.
I don't "require" anything, but I've been flying a bunch and prefer to be as safe as possible under the circumstances. If that means following up politely when the FA abdicates her responsibilities by hiding in the aft galley, I'm not going to hesitate doing that.

I certainly don't need to be lectured about "expectations."
tom911 and Klrduks like this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't "require" anything, but I've been flying a bunch and prefer to be as safe as possible under the circumstances. If that means following up politely when the FA abdicates her responsibilities by hiding in the aft galley, I'm not going to hesitate doing that.

I certainly don't need to be lectured about "expectations."
And if I am in the midst of eating my dinner and you ask me politely, I will just as politely say I will be happy to put it on once I have finished eating. If that isnít good enough, then I am not sure what else there is to be done.
PDXFlyBoy likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
And if I am in the midst of eating my dinner and you ask me politely, I will just as politely say I will be happy to put it on once I have finished eating. If that isnít good enough, then I am not sure what else there is to be done.
Many airlines, including AS, have expressly called out passengers who drag out eating/drinking as a deliberate subterfuge to avoid wearing a mask. That's why AS's exception expressly states that masks may only be removed "briefly" while eating or drinking.
tom911, Klrduks and be_rettSEA like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: