"No mask, no travel, no exceptions"

Old Aug 6, 20, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I do not find the evidence that Sweden did it better than the rest of the world, as their death rate was higher than ours per populations. (today's cumulative numbers for Norway are 9,444, and Denmark is 14,586, while Sweeden is 81,967 but the good news is that they are ALL declining - but not the USA). I am glad Alaska is requiring masks but to me this is not about personal freedoms, it is a question of do I have a "right" to endanger anyone else? For my sake I do hope others wear a mask, and I appreciate that FAs have less interactions with service for me now but, that is for their sakes, not just mine. I really hope our entire country will be able to find a way back to normal this year, but I am afraid that I might not like what the new normal will look like.
Old Aug 6, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Actually, every thread, across almost every FT forum, related to masks eventually gets locked (almost w/o exception)

I'm not sure why people feel compelled to keep starting new ones. At this point, pretty much everyone knows the rules (whether or not they like or agree with them). People just shout at each other, they say the same things over and over, no hearts or minds are ever changed and then it gets locked.

Then we do it again a few days later...

Regards
Gee... I wonder if I'll be proven right...

Regards
Old Aug 6, 20, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Gee... I wonder if I'll be proven right...

Regards
Not when we refocus, refocus, refocus on the Alaska Mask Policy and not the greater issue of masks in general. Accordingly, I post that (1) I am support of the AS no exception policy; (2) I am pleased for the employees of AS that there is a clear no exception directive; and (3) I am more likely to consider a flight on AS once I hear feedback that there is high compliance few to no incidents of inflight tantrums causing gate returns or authorities meeting aircraft.
Old Aug 6, 20, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer View Post
I would state this exactly the opposite. Individuals are ALWAYS the ones who should make decisions for themselves and for their family, not the government. This wonderful country was founded on rugged individualism.

In this case I have no problem with private businesses enforcing a requirement for masks (although if we are honest with ourselves the airlines are doing this for liability protection and no other reason). My family and I will be abiding by this private business mandate and will be wearing masks on our upcoming AS flights and then summarily removing them the second we cross through the airport exit to the outdoors. Others will choose to keep them on all the way through to their rental car (and including while they drive) and that is okay. Both positions should be supported with graciousness.
So by this logic people should wear masks when flying Alaska because the private business decided to mandate them, but they should choose for themselves whether to wear seat belts or to smoke on the plane, since those are mandated by the government (and thus Alaska is just enforcing rules set by the government)?
ronin98syu likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Great job Alaska, you just joined the ranks of Delta, United, American, and Southwest, only weeks later.
nope. Delta will still let someone fly without a mask, they must be vetted through the Delta medical system however - and that shouldn’t be a problem for most people given enough time in advance. American and Southwest announced the change in their policy two weeks ago on 7/22 and Spirit and JetBlue just changed their policy this week as well. United will also still make exceptions on an individual basis when needed.
Eastbay1K and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Aug 6, 20 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 6, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Not when we refocus, refocus, refocus on the Alaska Mask Policy and not the greater issue of masks in general <snip>
Yea.... good luck with that. Again, few hearts and minds are changed on FT; this place used to be about the joy and wonder of travel, but sadly its become as politicized as the rest of society...

Regards
Old Aug 6, 20, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not when we refocus, refocus, refocus on the Alaska Mask Policy and not the greater issue of masks in general. Accordingly, I post that (1) I am support of the AS no exception policy; (2) I am pleased for the employees of AS that there is a clear no exception directive; and (3) I am more likely to consider a flight on AS once I hear feedback that there is high compliance few to no incidents of inflight tantrums causing gate returns or authorities meeting aircraft.
As many businesses have found, it is also good business to have tough -- no exceptions -- policies. Bet that this provides a needed financial boost to carriers too. People who have been unwilling to fly may now be willing to try it.
skyblue and NoLaGent like this.

Last edited by Often1; Aug 7, 20 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by ctporter View Post
... I am glad Alaska is requiring masks but to me this is not about personal freedoms, it is a question of do I have a "right" to endanger anyone else? For my sake I do hope others wear a mask, and I appreciate that FAs have less interactions with service for me now but, that is for their sakes, not just mine. ...
more importantly, it should be a matter of "whether I have said "right" or not, I have the responsibility to NOT endanger anyone else"
Old Aug 7, 20, 9:05 am

I thought I had posted a reply to this thread but I can't find it.

The thread keeps getting flagged in "myflyertalk" similar to other threads I've replied to but my reply is always missing

Has my post been deleted for breaking the rules. I have had no notification

Or has my post been lost somewhere in the internet never to be seen again
Old Aug 7, 20, 9:32 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread, like most COVID-related threads, has a tendency to go off-topic and sometimes get personal. The discussion should relate to AS' mask policy, not masks in general. Some off-topic posts (and replies to them) have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
Bellerina likes this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club
I've been envious of Delta's policy for some time, and am thrilled that Alaska has taken a firm stance. My initial flights with Alaska in March and April were, frankly, frightening with the amount of laxity shown. However, Alaska asked for feedback after each flight and apparently was listening, because on my last flight I noted almost 100% compliance with mask wearing at both the gate and the plane. Alaska's policy on mask wearing is a "best - practice" scenario, which means practicing a standard of care which has the best possible outcome. Thanks, Alaska, for stepping up to protect your frequent fliers and safe travellers.
Old Aug 7, 20, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Does AS stock extra masks onboard and/or in the airports?

Curious (as recently, when I was out and about, the elastic snapped on a mask while I was wearing it.)
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*

Curious (as recently, when I was out and about, the elastic snapped on a mask while I was wearing it.)
Yes, to both.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:22 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
After seeing a guy traveling in First class with a leathery BDSM fetish Style mask in May with no filter of any kind, am glad Alaska have tightened the rules.

Jiburi
be_rettSEA and Bellerina like this.
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Shout out to the ANC airport where they were giving out packages of 4 or 5? re-usable cotton masks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: