FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Does Alaska Airlines have an unpublished flat-tire rule? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2022758-does-alaska-airlines-have-unpublished-flat-tire-rule.html)

Flying for Fun Aug 4, 2020 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 32581955)
Perhaps you can add this useful info as a Wikipost.

Where would you propose it be appropriately posted? I am not aware of any other markets where there are red-eye flights commencing between midnight & 4:00 am. Even the SEA-PDX shuttle market doesn't have flights in that time window.

James

NoLaGent Aug 4, 2020 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32582066)
Where would you propose it be appropriately posted? I am not aware of any other markets where there are red-eye flights commencing between midnight & 4:00 am. Even the SEA-PDX shuttle market doesn't have flights in that time window.

James

Perhaps the Mods could modify this thread title with the appropriate (and currently only?) city pair and it be added here? It's the only one I'm aware of also.

dayone Aug 4, 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32582066)

James

Probably best if you post/add it in this thread.

Flying for Fun Aug 4, 2020 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 32582136)
Perhaps the Mods could modify this thread title with the appropriate (and currently only?) city pair and it be added here? It's the only one I'm aware of also.

Even AS 178 ANC-LAX non-stop departs at 11:55 pm. However, I also see that AS 172 ANC-PDX departs at 12:45 am. It would apply there too.

Another unknown is if AS would allow a SDC on a connection as well, say ANC-PDX/SEA-PHX. Even if they wouldn't, you could still build in a layover on a through fare. That might be advantageous to some.

James

Flying for Fun Aug 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 32582282)
Probably best if you post/add it in this thread.

WIKI added. Also of note, AS is commencing red-eye service Seattle to Chicago on October 1st with a 12:15 am departure. That would be eligible for a SDC to the day prior as well.

James

eponymous_coward Aug 13, 2020 12:07 am

They don't have a formal policy, but there was this one time I forgot to set an alarm and woke up just after my flight out of Newark 30 miles away had left. Called AS, they put me on standby at the airport, got my BP when I checked in for the evening flight to SEA. I have never been happier to be in a middle seat on a transcon ever (I was going to have to burn a LOT of miles for a last seat Y ticket instead). This may have been before the formal "we cancel on no-shows" rule (this was like 2014 or so), but I had for sure missed my flight and no-showed it.

beckoa Aug 17, 2020 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32579405)
now that you mention it, they did indeed (paging beckoa, maybe they still do?) have some flexibility wrt redeyes; however I think it only applied to flights between 2200 and 0430

Really haven't used this- but it is an option.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32582305)
Even AS 178 ANC-LAX non-stop departs at 11:55 pm. However, I also see that AS 172 ANC-PDX departs at 12:45 am. It would apply there too.

Another unknown is if AS would allow a SDC on a connection as well, say ANC-PDX/SEA-PHX. Even if they wouldn't, you could still build in a layover on a through fare. That might be advantageous to some.

James

I've had luck with routing changes with SDC's and coterminals. However if adding stops, there will be an addcollect of taxes (and its irregular- think it should be $10 or less, but have had it $30 once too- YMMV)

I've used this to have stopovers too ^

Flying for Fun Aug 17, 2020 8:14 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 32609172)
Really haven't used this- but it is an option.

I've had luck with routing changes with SDC's and coterminals. However if adding stops, there will be an addcollect of taxes (and its irregular- think it should be $10 or less, but have had it $30 once too- YMMV)

I've used this to have stopovers too ^

I was pertaining to already having a connection. For example a "red-eye " flight ANC-SEA connecting to the first flight SEA-PHX. If you SDC to an ANC-SEA flight the day before, could you also SDC the SEA-PHX flight to the day before, say, the last flight of the day prior?

If not, as I mentioned & you have utilized, creating a stopover/layover on a through fare connection may be a "side" benefit of the ability to SDC a "red-eye" flight to the day prior.

James