Wiki Posts
Search

No gold our guest upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines
No gold our guest upgrades??

What is going on? I have been looking for flights in October, December, and March. There is not a single gold or gold guest upgrade available on any dates on any flights. Looking for SEA-BOS or SEA-any New York airport. Included via all the California airports. Absolutely nothing.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by professortim
What is going on? I have been looking for flights in October, December, and March. There is not a single gold or gold guest upgrade available on any dates on any flights. Looking for SEA-BOS or SEA-any New York airport. Included via all the California airports. Absolutely nothing.
This discussion has been happening on the GGU thread so you may want to read some of those posts. I can give you the Reader's Digest version: For some reason, perhaps due to limited F cabin capacity, there is ZERO U space currently being released with the exception of flights within 24 hours which would of course be of limited value to elites. For the time being, GGUs are really only useful if you want to upgrade a non-elite friend or family member within 24 hours of departure (assuming U space is available).
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

That’s a way to get people to fly (not)!

Wow! What a way to get people to come back, take away one of the few benefits they can really use.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! What a way to get people to come back, take away one of the few benefits they can really use.
Yup...very true.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yup...very true.
Heh. Whereas in the other thread, the majority say they're worthless and can't be used. Truly a YMMV.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I used them a lot

I make several trans-cons and used them all the time. Sometimes I had to go SEA-SAN-EWR or BOS but could always make something work. I’m at the point in my life that I don’t travel coach and relied on these. I also book 11 months in advance to ensure I could get them.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I make several trans-cons and used them all the time. Sometimes I had to go SEA-SAN-EWR or BOS but could always make something work. I’m at the point in my life that I don’t travel coach and relied on these. I also book 11 months in advance to ensure I could get them.
If GGUs stick around I suspect that U space will return after the pandemic...it just may be awhile.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Right now, nobody knows if AS is flying specific routes and timings 11 months in advance. Or really even a couple months in advance. You're asking for metaphysical certitude in an extremely challenging environment for airline operations- for instance your SEA-NYC route would imply 14 day quarantine on arrival at JFK/EWR. How many people will be traveling when they don't even know if they'll be in quarantine when they get to their destination or not?

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If GGUs stick around I suspect that U space will return after the pandemic...it just may be awhile.
Exactly. Kind of hard to blame an airline that is operating F cabins at half or so capacity and is losing a seven digit amount of money a day doing so that they're not handing out enough freebies.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right now, nobody knows if AS is flying specific routes and timings 11 months in advance. Or really even a couple months in advance. You're asking for metaphysical certitude in an extremely challenging environment for airline operations- for instance your SEA-NYC route would imply 14 day quarantine on arrival at JFK/EWR. How many people will be traveling when they don't even know if they'll be in quarantine when they get to their destination or not?

Exactly. Kind of hard to blame an airline that is operating F cabins at half or so capacity and is losing a seven digit amount of money a day doing so that they're not handing out enough freebies.

The amount of money the company is losing is completely irrelevant to their lack of communication regarding their actions which affect their customers. They have made decisions to survive financially, specifically with U space and upgrades and should communicate it rather than leave customers in the dark.

Otherwise, they are no better than United in my book.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:01 am

What do you want communicated? “We’re losing a ton of money”? Hadn’t you noticed the press? “Things aren’t very normal and it’s not how we’d like tu run our airline, but we’re making do?”

Anyways, go fly United. Enjoy. I’m sure they’ll fit your needs.

I realize this is FlyerTalk, where you can hear the whining about missed PDBs from neighboring galaxies, so sure, take your business elsewhere, I guess.
That they are reducing the ability to redeem GGU certs.

I understand you don’t expect much communication from AS, but I find it fascinating that you don’t understand other people may want to know when AS is changing benefits, even temporarily.

AS even has a COVID19 page where they could post a short statement about it.. “due to C19 we want to ensure maximum travel flexibility for our guests and will be reducing the ability to redeem GGU certs.”

I didn’t say I would be taking my business to United. I made a comparison to United.

Your responses seem inappropriate and hostile.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
AS even has a COVID19 page where they could post a short statement about it.. “due to C19 we want to ensure maximum travel flexibility for our guests and will be reducing the ability to redeem GGU certs.”
It's not even a case of "maximum travel flexibility for our guests", it's that the schedule is unusually subject to change, even close in. They literally don't know how much F capacity they're going to have on a route in a month.

It's not the first time U has been in fairly short supply (it happened a fair amount when the VX->AS merger was in process) and businesses don't tend to tell everyone about the stinking fish they're selling as marketing. It isn't exactly AS's fault that COVID-19 is making a hash of their ability to project revenue, seats in a market, etc. I don't find what you propose to be a very reasonable expectation.

Your responses seem inappropriate and hostile.
Alert the moderators, I guess? I actually don't know you enough to want to be hostile. I'm quite sincere in thinking people should just go "goodbye cruel airline" when the business they're patronizing no longer works for them. The only way to make them learn is through the pocketbook.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 3, 2020 at 10:27 am
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:30 am

It's not even a case of "maximum travel flexibility for our guests", it's that the schedule is unusually subject to change, even close in. They literally don't know how much F capacity they're going to have on a route in a month.

It's not the first time U has been in fairly short supply (it happened a fair amount when the VX->AS merger was in process) and businesses don't tend to tell everyone about the stinking fish they're selling as marketing. It isn't exactly AS's fault that COVID-19 is making a hash of their ability to project revenue, seats in a market, etc. I don't find what you propose to be a very reasonable expectation.

Alert the moderators, I guess? I actually don't know you enough to want to be hostile. I'm quite sincere in thinking people should just go "goodbye cruel airline" when the business they're patronizing no longer works for them. The only way to make them learn is through the pocketbook.
AS tends to have better than average customer service than other airlines, so expecting them to communicate changes or potential changes to benefits or their availability isn’t unreasonable.

Or, alternatively contact Alaska Listens / Customer Care.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or, alternatively contact Alaska Listens / Customer Care.
Sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.