SFO or SJC to/from Walnut Creek to SEA

Old Jul 26, 20, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
SFO or SJC to/from Walnut Creek to SEA

I have a project coming up on a Friday in August, normally I would fly from Sea on Thurs to OAK and back to SEA on Fri evening, but now the latest return flight of the day is at 2:25pm. The outage is scheduled from 8am to noon, but if they do not finish in time, I won't be able to leave by noon and run a risk of missing that last flight of the day out of OAK back home. So, I could fly through either SFO (about 30 minutes no traffic) or SJC (about an hour no traffic) both have flights leaving as late as 6 something which is much less stressful (even with traffic, there should be enough time to make a flight even if the project goes 2 hours over?). So, the question is, since there is also the chance the project does finish early, which airport is the better airport now (with most things shut down due to Covid-19) to wait for a flight? Any suggestions? (having a glass of wine is almost a necessity too). Also, I can SDC to earlier flights if all goes well, both have something around the 2ish time
Old Jul 26, 20, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I havenít driven in/around the Bay Area in a long time, but with those options Iíd probably suck it up and book WN at 550pm from OAK ... that said, if things go really elliptical to where even a 6-ish departure looks iffy, AS has an 840pm from SFO but nothing later from SJC
Old Jul 26, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ctporter View Post
I have a project coming up on a Friday in August, normally I would fly from Sea on Thurs to OAK and back to SEA on Fri evening, but now the latest return flight of the day is at 2:25pm. The outage is scheduled from 8am to noon, but if they do not finish in time, I won't be able to leave by noon and run a risk of missing that last flight of the day out of OAK back home. So, I could fly through either SFO (about 30 minutes no traffic) or SJC (about an hour no traffic) both have flights leaving as late as 6 something which is much less stressful (even with traffic, there should be enough time to make a flight even if the project goes 2 hours over?). So, the question is, since there is also the chance the project does finish early, which airport is the better airport now (with most things shut down due to Covid-19) to wait for a flight? Any suggestions? (having a glass of wine is almost a necessity too). Also, I can SDC to earlier flights if all goes well, both have something around the 2ish time
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I havenít driven in/around the Bay Area in a long time, but with those options Iíd probably suck it up and book WN at 550pm from OAK ... that said, if things go really elliptical to where even a 6-ish departure looks iffy, AS has an 840pm from SFO but nothing later from SJC
Either the OAK on WN or if you want to keep it on AS, the 4:20p or 6:20p out of SFO. I wouldn't even consider SJC from WC.
BearX220 and tusphotog like this.
Old Jul 26, 20, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I looked at flying back home on WN, but holy cow it is expensive. I think SFO is sounding much more attractive (PC is free for me, decent chance of up grade, although FC is only $45 more ($89MC, $104PC, $140FC). On WN it was $89 for the wanna get away, $316 for anytime and $340 for the nonstop getting home at 8pm To change (standby) flights I would have to purchase the anytime fare, much too much for that!
Old Jul 26, 20, 8:34 pm

If you want to keep it on AS, I would go with SFO as you have transportation options other that car, which might provide a more consistant travel, such as BART from SFO to walnut creek. Of course that depends on how confortable you are with public transport during covid.
aquanine likes this.
Old Jul 26, 20, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
If you want to keep it on AS, I would go with SFO as you have transportation options other that car, which might provide a more consistant travel, such as BART from SFO to walnut creek. Of course that depends on how confortable you are with public transport during covid.
thanks, I was trying to see the viability of driving down to SJC compared to crossing a bridge to get to SFO plus, what is available at the airport once I arrive. Still seems to be SFO as the best best for me. (My job is in Orinda, the hotel will be in Walnut Creek which hopefully will have places to eat. I am not afraid per se of public transport, it is typically cheaper to rent a car due to our corp discount. For leisure, when my husband comes along with me, we use Bart (or the local equivalent) most of the time.
Old Jul 26, 20, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
thanks, I was trying to see the viability of driving down to SJC compared to crossing a bridge to get to SFO plus, what is available at the airport once I arrive. Still seems to be SFO as the best best for me. (My job is in Orinda, the hotel will be in Walnut Creek which hopefully will have places to eat. I am not afraid per se of public transport, it is typically cheaper to rent a car due to our corp discount. For leisure, when my husband comes along with me, we use Bart (or the local equivalent) most of the time.
Lots of outdoor dining and to go in WC for the hotel, you'll be good.
Old Jul 26, 20, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
On WN it was $89 for the wanna get away, $316 for anytime and $340 for the nonstop getting home at 8pm To change (standby) flights I would have to purchase the anytime fare, much too much for that!
WN is offering last seat availability on WGA fares right now. Look at tomorrow's flights OAK-SEA.

WC => SFO is 35 minutes with no traffic. Around rush hour, it's going to be at least an hour, possibly 90 minutes, as rush hour traffic has returned to both the city and the maze, though nothing like what it was pre-COVID.
Old Jul 27, 20, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
WC => SFO is 35 minutes with no traffic.
Can OP ditch the rental car @ WC and take BART straight to SFO?

I've stayed up in WC several times to attend San Francisco work events without paying San Francisco hotel prices... via BART the ride to Market Street is about the same as drive time, +/- 30 minutes, and it's no more than an hour all the way to SFO.
Old Jul 27, 20, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
via BART the ride to Market Street is about the same as drive time, +/- 30 minutes, and it's no more than an hour all the way to SFO.
It's 1:09.

Anyone who can avoid BART right now, does.
Old Jul 27, 20, 10:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Roads are less crowded now than they were 10 years ago. I would expect the same for BART. Driving WC to SFO should be relatively easy. Uber or rental car should work.

If I had seen this thread yesterday, I could have helped the OP get a better fare on Southwest using their free change window (wide open free change due to schedule reductions) but that opportunity ended at midnight.
Old Jul 27, 20, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Can OP ditch the rental car @ WC and take BART straight to SFO?
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Anyone who can avoid BART right now, does.
or certainly should ... public transit is an exceedingly high-risk environment

I may have to make an out-of-pocket trip to the Pentagon in a couple weeks ... in a normal world I'd take the SEA-BWI redeye, the MARC train to Union Station, and Metro; yeah, the DCA flight costs a little more, but in this environment the ~$250 for that convenience and a hotel in Crystal CIty -- an easy walk to and from the building, and (weather permitting) back to the airport -- is a no-brainer
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
or certainly should ... public transit is an exceedingly high-risk environment

I may have to make an out-of-pocket trip to the Pentagon in a couple weeks ... in a normal world I'd take the SEA-BWI redeye, the MARC train to Union Station, and Metro; yeah, the DCA flight costs a little more, but in this environment the ~$250 for that convenience and a hotel in Crystal CIty -- an easy walk to and from the building, and (weather permitting) back to the airport -- is a no-brainer
If the train is mostly empty, it doesn't seem particularly high risk, certainly compared to everything else if you're flying somewhere - transiting two airports and sitting in a confined tube with likely many more people.
PDXpress and BearX220 like this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:09 am

In terms of traffic, though nowadays it is different but traffic is getting worse daily:
so you don't care so much about traffic when you are flying in to the Bay Area, I presume cause you don't have time constraints, and SFO is quicker and you can always do a rental car one-way (eg SFO to SJC), so I'd recommend flying in to SFO.
For Friday if you would be leaving Walnut Creek I'd still recommend going to SFO vs SJC, for SJC you can take the 680 but going in to SFO in the afternoon shouldn't be bad, even crossing the bridge, because most people are heading out of SF.
One difference is if you care about the public transit business for SFO you need to take the airtrain which is a small automated train, whereas in SJC you can just walk (presuming you are flying AS or WN) from the rental car center to the terminal (literally just cross the street).
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
One difference is if you care about the public transit business for SFO you need to take the airtrain which is a small automated train, whereas in SJC you can just walk (presuming you are flying AS or WN) from the rental car center to the terminal (literally just cross the street).
It's a short walk from SFO BART to International Terminal, and a long walk from there to Alaska gates. Up to 15 minutes total walk.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: