First Class "promotion"

Old Jul 22, 20, 2:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,998
First Class "promotion"

This is the first time I can recall Alaska promoting their first class fares....I call this a promotion rather than a "sale" since all the fares they've listed (at least from PDX) seem to be the "usual" discounted first class fares that are normally available on these routes. From a cents per-EQM standpoint (especially given the current 50% bonus along with the usual class of service bonus), I would say the fares to DFW/DAL are the best deal on the list.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...ghtDeals&o=PDX
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 3:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 902
Did they just make more I fares available on all fights for the day? Granted that's not a "sale" since they seem to price as typical I fares, but there has been a significant reduction in F prices on some flights I've been eyeing, so clearly it's lowering prices at least. Not a bad way to get some add'l revenue, but not sure it's worth it given the current offerings in F that would normally differentiate the experience a bit more.
be_rettSEA is online now  
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 918
SEA-STL for $229 is an absolute bargain, especially when main runs at $149.

Pre-COVID, this was a guaranteed upgrade for a 75K. Now, not so much.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:43 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 31,887
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Did they just make more I fares available on all fights for the day? Granted that's not a "sale" since they seem to price as typical I fares, but there has been a significant reduction in F prices on some flights I've been eyeing, so clearly it's lowering prices at least. Not a bad way to get some add'l revenue, but not sure it's worth it given the current offerings in F that would normally differentiate the experience a bit more.
[Emfussis addud in kwote] The current offerings in F that differentiate the experience a lot more are the copious sums of EQMs, and while one doesn't get the excitement during the flight, the excitement now often appears upon landing, or shortly thereafter.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 5:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,299
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
SEA-STL for $229 is an absolute bargain, especially when main runs at $149.

Pre-COVID, this was a guaranteed upgrade for a 75K. Now, not so much.
Disagree that SEA-STL was always a guaranteed upgrade (as I had to upfare a couple of flights on this route that would have been missed UPGs within the past year or so) -- I've seen upgrade lists of 50+ with F cabins nearly sold out by the 100 hr window on this route at business-heavy times.

Agree that $229 is a great deal, though... almost as good as the $179 'I' class fares on SAN-STL before the route went away!
metallo is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 5:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Disagree that SEA-STL was always a guaranteed upgrade (as I had to upfare a couple of flights on this route that would have been missed UPGs within the past year or so) -- I've seen upgrade lists of 50+ with F cabins nearly sold out by the 100 hr window on this route at business-heavy times.
Interesting. I even got it often even as an MVP. I guess flying on weekends has its perks.

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Agree that $229 is a great deal, though... almost as good as the $179 'I' class fares on SAN-STL before the route went away!
Indeed. Those were the days...
metallo likes this.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, Wa
Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Posts: 2,372
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Disagree that SEA-STL was always a guaranteed upgrade (as I had to upfare a couple of flights on this route that would have been missed UPGs within the past year or so) -- I've seen upgrade lists of 50+ with F cabins nearly sold out by the 100 hr window on this route at business-heavy times.

Agree that $229 is a great deal, though... almost as good as the $179 'I' class fares on SAN-STL before the route went away!
I've always been UG'd on this route as a 75K myself as well. Now, I would bet business travel to the Boeing leadership / training center is way way down so that will shorten the waitlist. I think they they dropped the route to 1 RT a day for a while going forward too until demand comes back.
metallo likes this.
flyupfrnt is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 9:19 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,998
I still contend that the 737 PDX-SEA flights are the toughest upgrades in the system right now....not that it matters that much on a 30 min. flight, but it's still a tough one. The best of these first class fares are the ones that include at least 2 segments (usually going via SEA) without breaking the fare.
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 9:37 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,069
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
This is the first time I can recall Alaska promoting their first class fares....I call this a promotion rather than a "sale" since all the fares they've listed (at least from PDX) seem to be the "usual" discounted first class fares that are normally available on these routes. From a cents per-EQM standpoint (especially given the current 50% bonus along with the usual class of service bonus), I would say the fares to DFW/DAL are the best deal on the list.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...ghtDeals&o=PDX
For SEA, it's definitely the SEA-ORD fares. $199 for 225% EQM (175%+50% bonus) = over 7700 EQM per round trip. So knock out MVPG in 5-6 round-trips, 75k in 10, for the cost of $400 per round trip... and probably you get oneworld Sapphire or Emerald for 2021 to boot.
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:28 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
For SEA, it's definitely the SEA-ORD fares. $199 for 225% EQM (175%+50% bonus) = over 7700 EQM per round trip. So knock out MVPG in 5-6 round-trips, 75k in 10, for the cost of $400 per round trip... and probably you get oneworld Sapphire or Emerald for 2021 to boot.
Definitely a sale and from SFO, ORD is also at $199, which I've never seen before. Other appealing ones are LAS at $99, LAX at $89, and SJD & PVR at $239.

Hmmmm. I have no business travel for the rest of the year, so these would be strictly personal, but I just don't know if I'm ready to step on a plane yet. My last flight was at the end of February...
be_rettSEA likes this.
NoLaGent is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 9:18 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
For SEA, it's definitely the SEA-ORD fares. $199 for 225% EQM (175%+50% bonus) = over 7700 EQM per round trip. So knock out MVPG in 5-6 round-trips, 75k in 10, for the cost of $400 per round trip... and probably you get oneworld Sapphire or Emerald for 2021 to boot.
SEA-ORD return: 1721 ◊ 2 ◊ 1.75 ◊ 1.5 = 9,035 EQM.

The 50% EQM bonus STACKS on the 75% COS bonus.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 9:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Definitely a sale and from SFO, ORD is also at $199, which I've never seen before. Other appealing ones are LAS at $99, LAX at $89, and SJD & PVR at $239.
SEA-PVR return: 2078 ◊ 2 ◊ 1.75 ◊ 1.50 = 10,910 EQM & SEA Lounge access too.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 23, 20, 10:05 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,069
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
SEA-ORD return: 1721 ◊ 2 ◊ 1.75 ◊ 1.5 = 9,035 EQM.

The 50% EQM bonus STACKS on the 75% COS bonus.

James
Thatís... surprising. I am used to AS bonuses being additive, not stacked. Wow.
Flying for Fun likes this.
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Jul 23, 20, 11:50 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Thatís... surprising. I am used to AS bonuses being additive, not stacked. Wow.
I was surprised too. Finkface confirmed it on a SEA-HNL flight. A few less lines of code for IT.

50% bonus EQM stacked on COS, blocked seating, cheap F fares, hassel free refunds, first quarter rollover, opportunity to earn EQM on the ground and joinging OW later in the year. I guess if AS flies in your market, they want you to be flying with them. Perhaps there is a reason their passenger counts went from 4% in April to 54% now, compared to 2019. Overall, I believe AS has been very generous and it will pay dividends through the recovery and into the "Horizon."

YLW is gone for August. I had booked a flight YLW-SEA-JFK for August 4th. I don't need the flight anymore but interested to see what they offer, if anything. AC YLW-YVR (127 miles) in BE, Q400 service is USD $115 one-way. I am saddened when I see ORD-LAX non-stops in Main for $89 or ORD-PDX/SEA-LAX through fares for $117. SEA-PVR return in F is 4.38 cpm for EQM. I shoot for 90K at or below 5 cpm. That is a challenge.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 24, 20, 8:50 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 335
With the increase in discount FC fares, Iíve seen less U availability, which translates into less likely to receive an upgrade during the MVG75k window.

It reminds me of how United restricts upgrade space greatly until close to departure and then processes the entire upgrade list.

I can only speak for the flights I have done thus far and have upcoming, and call me crazy but it seems like a benefit devaluation as an attempt to increase revenue through increased FC ticket sales. If it is true, it would be appreciated if Alaska communicated it to their FFP members so they can make informed decisions regarding travel plans, especially with respect to benefits.

Last edited by damnyourefine; Jul 24, 20 at 9:53 am
damnyourefine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: