Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] AS to Eliminate Gold Guest Upgrades (GGUs)? Hints from a New AS Survey

[Speculation] AS to Eliminate Gold Guest Upgrades (GGUs)? Hints from a New AS Survey

Old Aug 1, 20, 8:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
One man's Joke, another man's Jewel! Out of curiosity, what would you find useful as a replacement, if there was a replacement? Honest question.
No change fees for companions.
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
I would suggest bonus miles or replace them
for lounge access which is at least able to use. They don’t release U space for them on long hauls. You can only use them on flights up and down the west coast. Big deal...
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I consistently find U space on SAN - BOS routes. Losing GGUs would really suck if I can’t guarantee myself an upgrade on these long routes
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:30 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
I consistently find U space on SAN - BOS routes. Losing GGUs would really suck if I can’t guarantee myself an upgrade on these long routes
Perhaps the non-SEA Transcons? I’ve Never been able to find U space SEA-anywhere 3.5 hours+. The GGU’s are completely useless for me being based in SEA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, they wouldn’t even release U space 6 months prior on IAH-SEA with zero passengers booked into F and zero passengers in F. I had to call MileagePlan and request they open space.
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Perhaps the non-SEA Transcons? I’ve Never been able to find U space SEA-anywhere 3.5 hours+. The GGU’s are completely useless for me being based in SEA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, they wouldn’t even release U space 6 months prior on IAH-SEA with zero passengers booked into F and zero passengers in F. I had to call MileagePlan and request they open space.
I’ve used GGUs on SEA-NYC/BOS/WAS flights many times. Had one booked for May but ended up canceling the flight due to work canceling the meeting.

Individual experience differs, but the seats are out there. Definitely requires a good measure of flexibility, and it isn’t consistent. I always find a way to use them, though.

If I could make a change, it would be to drop the U space requirement. Most of the complaints seem to revolve around that. If they have to “balance the books” somehow, give out 3 instead of 4.
Old Aug 2, 20, 9:35 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If I could make a change, it would be to drop the U space requirement. Most of the complaints seem to revolve around that. If they have to “balance the books” somehow, give out 3 instead of 4.
I feel like if they were considering eliminating U and having GGUs book into a revenue class (likely I or P), they would have included it in the survey.

United has a "skip waitlist" feature for their PlusPoints that is intermittently offered, but costs more points. If AS finds that folks really like GGUs as certificates and identifies an unserved population of inflexible travelers, they could potentially allow folks to spend 2 GGUs for access to a higher fare class.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I feel like if they were considering eliminating U and having GGUs book into a revenue class (likely I or P), they would have included it in the survey.
It was a statement of a change I would enjoy, not what I think they're planning to do, because speculation is a waste of time. Whatever happens I will simply adjust to it.
Old Today, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
They should just eliminate complimentary upgrades altogether to increase profits. Helps align with One World and an inevitable AA Merger.
Old Today, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mfolf View Post
They should just eliminate complimentary upgrades altogether to increase profits. Helps align with One World and an inevitable AA Merger.
It is a balancing act. If they take away just a little bit too much, it could be very costly. What other oneworld airline is predominantly domestic with no flights greater than 3K miles? Complimentary upgrades aren't to lie-flat seats on transoceanic flights. Doesn't AA provide complimentary upgrades to their Elites? Are they in misalignment with oneworld?

This is about GGU upgrade instruments earned for attaining status like SWUs on AA, not complimentary upgrades. They are called Gold Guest Upgrades because you earn them at Gold & Gold 75K but they can be gifted to anyone, status or not, as your Guest.

James
Old Today, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Originally Posted by mfolf View Post
Eliminate complimentary upgrades.m. Um... That would be anti-competitive knowing Both Delta and United offer unlimited complimentary upgrades. American, however, is 500 miles voucher driven but complimentary.

Do people actually want complimentary upgrades to go away? I hope not. That is one of the perks that differentiate AS from WN and sought after by elite frequent flying members.

Alaska did play with the idea of eliminating F about a decade ago, however.

and AA merger? Am certainly hoping this will never happen. Aside from bigger network, do we actually want AS to go that low?

Jiburi

Search this Thread
Search Engine: