Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Seatac and AS to begin temperature screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seatac and AS to begin temperature screening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Widespread temperature screening has been widely used in a number of countries that have successfully controlled COVID, including South Korea.

Maybe it helps. Maybe it doesn’t. But I don’t understand why people here are arguing about it when they know little about pandemics at all.
Because it's the internet and people believe everything they see, like 5G wires are being hidden in their masks, 5G caused the virus, Bill Gates is trying to implant tracking chips in vaccines, "MASKS ARE TRAMPLING MAH LIBERTY," and "MASKS ARE PART OF THE SECRET WORLD GOVERNMENT PLAN TO CONTROL ALL OF US!."
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CLT
Every time the host/hostess took it, I would ask them to show me the temperature. Upon entering one establishment my temperature was read as 87 degrees.
They didn’t call an ambulance?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It is likely illegal to require a medical test for domestic travel. I haven't checked in detail obviously, but you can be sure that any medical exam for domestic travel will be heavily challenged.

Even Alaska and Hawaii have to still let people in with a positive/non-existant covid test result (once in the state they can require quarantine, but travel in of itself is allowed even if you're deathly ill).
Hawaii turns people around fairly regularly and sends them home on the next flights in the last month or so. I don't know by what criteria they determine whether you're allowed to stay or not but they aren't allowing everyone that flies in to stay.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It is likely illegal to require a medical test for domestic travel. I haven't checked in detail obviously, but you can be sure that any medical exam for domestic travel will be heavily challenged.
Denying someone air travel, and denying them free domestic movement between states are two very different things. Airlines have been given a lot of liberty in their ability, as a private business, to deny service to people based on criteria they've set in the name of public safety. It's perfectly legal to take your gun across state lines in your car... but you shouldn't try to carry one onto a plane.

Don't like their rules? Take a bus. Interstate travel is a right, air travel is a privilege.
AS Flyer and Klrduks like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Hawaii turns people around fairly regularly and sends them home on the next flights in the last month or so. I don't know by what criteria they determine whether you're allowed to stay or not but they aren't allowing everyone that flies in to stay.
It's whether or not you claim to have an arranged place to serve out your quarantine. If you don't, then out you go.
AS Flyer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Why on earth would someone undergo a voluntary temperature check? I see no advantage from a passenger perspective.
It's well known that an elevated temperature could be linked to a litany of non-Covid19 related issues and that a normal temperature in no way excludes one from having it.
Just more COVID theater. Seems like they’ll do anything to make travelers feel like they can fly safely again. Not saying I blame them.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by finlandia
It's whether or not you claim to have an arranged place to serve out your quarantine. If you don't, then out you go.
Who pays for the return flight?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who pays for the return flight?
I think the airline is obligated to carry you back to where you came from, assuming there's an open seat - if not then I imagine you spend time in a hold cell somewhere. Obvi, it's Canada - so a foreign country which is a slightly different situation. I have a friend that flew to Toronto. Got there on a late evening flight and they determined they weren't going to let her in (despite her husband being a Canadian citizen and him being in their home in Toronto that she shares with him part time...). She ended up being held overnight in a holding cell at the airport for the night until they could get her on a flight the next morning out. These are crazy times, indeed.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Widespread temperature screening has been widely used in a number of countries that have successfully controlled COVID, including South Korea.

Maybe it helps. Maybe it doesn’t. But I don’t understand why people here are arguing about it when they know little about pandemics at all.
Many of them started it with SARS (the 2003 version) where people who had the disease were almost certain to have a fever, so it was a matter of updating things. Even if not everybody who is contagious shows a fever, if a substantial fraction do then it could still be a useful rapid screening tool.
danielflyer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:14 pm

Temperature checks are about 50% effective.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG
We just flew back to Alaska after overnighting in Seattle and there were no temperature checks at the airport. I will say the airport was much less crowded compared to our flight down, not that it was overly crowded.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Many of them started it with SARS (the 2003 version) where people who had the disease were almost certain to have a fever, so it was a matter of updating things. Even if not everybody who is contagious shows a fever, if a substantial fraction do then it could still be a useful rapid screening tool.
It COULD be useful, but in it's current iteration it's completely useless. We don't even have to jump into discussion about false positives/negatives regarding COVID to see it's useless.

Imagine someone who is symptomatic of COVID or any other number of illnesses that cause fever. This person booked a flight and showed up to the airport despite their symptom(s). Clearly they intend to take that flight. Do we REALLY think that person is going to voluntarily undergo a temperature screening that could cost them their trip? Absolutely not. They made the conscious decision to fly anyway. Whatever their motivation is for taking the trip, it certainly won't be superseded by some vague moral/ethical obligation to the public and voluntary screening.

If it's not mandatory, then it's a complete waste of resources. Perhaps the plan is to make it mandatory.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by glob99
Temperature checks are about 50% effective.
If there wasn’t significant pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic transmission, the temperature screening would be helpful. Hence why temperature screening was an effective screening tool for H5N1 Influenza and SARS-CoV-1. But you have to make it mandatory.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jul 27, 2020 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Have flown twice since July 14 (latest one today) and no temp checks at security, boarding gate, or anywhere. Dang, and I took my tylenol in advance too! (jk)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.