Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Travel Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Canada Travel Restrictions

This week Canada extended the border restrictions for travelers from the U.S.through August 31st, requiring anyone entering Canada from the U.S. to quarantine for 14 days. We have an award flight in F on August 31st SMF-YYC which I need to change to September 1st in order to avoid the quarantine order. This is a 10 day vacation so quarantining for 14 days is not possible. The Aug 31st flight is still showing as operating but I guess it will carry only those who are willing to quarantine. I called AS and they will not allow an involuntary reroute to Sept. 1st without my having to use 20,000 additional miles per ticket. They will involuntarily reroute only if the flight is canceled. This doesn't seem fair to me. I'm aware that the border restrictions could go on for months, but I want to be optimistic.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Under the present rules, you are not permitted to enter Canada for a vacation, quarantine or not.
2. The present quarantine rules permit one to leave the country in less than 14 days.

Thus, if #1 is not renewed for September 1 onwards, but #2 remains, you could theoretically spend your 10 days in quarantine / isolation. That might be doable, depending on what you intend to do.

There is no way to predict what the rules will be for 9/1 forward nor is there a way to predict what AS might do vis-a-vis ticket changes. "Fair" is not likely the best way to look at this. If you purchased new tickets for 9/1 today, they would cost X miles and those are the miles which AS is charging you today (when combined with what you have already paid).
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

If I give them the additional 20,000 miles, are they going to charge me a change fee as well ? I don't understand why they are even showing a SEA-YYC flight operating in August given the extension of the order. They have canceled all of these flight in July.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
They probably haven’t made all of their flight changes and cancellations for August. Can you just wait a few more weeks and see if they cancel it like they did the July flights? Personally, that’s what I would do as you don’t know for sure if the Canadian restriction will be extended again.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bellerina
They probably haven’t made all of their flight changes and cancellations for August. Can you just wait a few more weeks and see if they cancel it like they did the July flights? Personally, that’s what I would do as you don’t know for sure if the Canadian restriction will be extended again.
Thanks. I think that's what I'll do. For the additional 20,000 miles each I guess they will make award seats available down to the last open seat so it makes sense for me to wait. I don't know why they are screwing around waiting to cancel. They have known for several days that the orders are in effect through August.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You also may want to rethink your plans completely. Given how things are not improving in the US coupled with the fact that Labor Day is the 7th, it would be foolish for Canada to open up right before the holiday and have hordes of Americans crossing the border in early September.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You also may want to rethink your plans completely. Given how things are not improving in the US coupled with the fact that Labor Day is the 7th, it would be foolish for Canada to open up right before the holiday and have hordes of Americans crossing the border in early September.
Oh I'm not holding out a lot of hope. We planned this trip 8 months ago and have been so looking forward to being able to travel someplace. But, who knows. Miracles do happen. As suggested, I'm just going to sit tight and wait and see what happens.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Forget about your trip to Canada this year. I've rescheduled such a trip twice now (June, again early August) and just given up at this point. Huge bummer, but at least no funds lost. Hope Alaska cancels your flights so you can get your money back. In light of travel restrictions even if your flight isn't canceled, if you talk to Alaska, they may work with you and give you a refund anyway due to the travel restriction thing.

Canada has a lot of US Borders to think about before they can open things up again. They have no problem closing the border to US tourists either.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
If I give them the additional 20,000 miles, are they going to charge me a change fee as well ? I don't understand why they are even showing a SEA-YYC flight operating in August given the extension of the order. They have canceled all of these flight in July.
Airlines, all airlines, are selling a lot of flights for upcoming months that may or may not operate. It is kind of weird. But that is what they are doing.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This week Canada extended the border restrictions for travelers from the U.S.through August 31st, requiring anyone entering Canada from the U.S. to quarantine for 14 days. We have an award flight in F on August 31st SMF-YYC which I need to change to September 1st in order to avoid the quarantine order. This is a 10 day vacation so quarantining for 14 days is not possible. The Aug 31st flight is still showing as operating but I guess it will carry only those who are willing to quarantine. I called AS and they will not allow an involuntary reroute to Sept. 1st without my having to use 20,000 additional miles per ticket. They will involuntarily reroute only if the flight is canceled. This doesn't seem fair to me. I'm aware that the border restrictions could go on for months, but I want to be optimistic.
I think a vacation in Canada this year for US citizens/ residents is pretty much off the table. I’d reschedule for next year or take a travel voucher.
EuropeanPete, chrisl137 and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Fortunately the flights are award ones paid for with miles so I don';t have to worry about getting cash back. If I cancel now I guess they will charge reinstatement fees so best that I wait it out. I just don't understand why they can't firm up a schedule that's just 3 weeks away. I agree. the chances of this vacation coming off are close to zero.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks. Fortunately the flights are award ones paid for with miles so I don';t have to worry about getting cash back. If I cancel now I guess they will charge reinstatement fees so best that I wait it out. I just don't understand why they can't firm up a schedule that's just 3 weeks away. I agree. the chances of this vacation coming off are close to zero.
August 31 is three weeks away from July 5th?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
August 31 is three weeks away from July 5th?
The order limiting entry to Canada is through August 31st so it affects flights from August 1st through the 31st. They are still showing SEA-YYC flights operating the whole month of August. So yes, why can't they have an accurate schedule for even August 1st, which is about 3 weeks away ?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:43 pm

You might want to find out if your particular frequent flyer program is allowing free cancellations, and if so, until what date.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Airlines, all airlines, are selling a lot of flights for upcoming months that may or may not operate. It is kind of weird. But that is what they are doing.
Same with cruises to Alaska . They were selling those cruises up to last week. Canada extended closed date for ports. Now cruise lines finalized their plans -No Alaska cruises this year.
Side Note: I was sad to fly into SEA and see no cruise ships at either piers.
ctporter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.