Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Cuts All OAK - Hawaii Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
AS Cuts All OAK - Hawaii Flights

I believe effective on or about 8/1 AS has cancelled several daily direct flights into KOA from OAK. Specifically they no longer run on Saturday which was always very busy so hard for me to understand why that day was dropped. When I called and asked if it was a temporary change I was basically told no one knows. Even the agent I spoke to thought it was odd the Saturday flight was dropped. For years that was my go to flight to KOA as I work on Hawaii and regularly do the trip on Saturday. Sunday does run as I believe Monday as well so it looks for time being I'll be using the Sunday flight.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This is just covid19 cancellation thru early Aug. It's still on the schedule from mid-Aug and forward.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
This is just covid19 cancellation thru early Aug. It's still on the schedule from mid-Aug and forward.
Unless something has changed in the last 24 hrs that is not correct. The Saturday and I believe Tuesday and Thursdays direct flights are cancelled, well at least as far as to 2021. I tried to book both November and December flights and they were not available. Agents said no plans to add them back "at this time". I realize things will change and can only hope you are correct.

Last edited by nomad420; Jun 22, 2020 at 11:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVP
OAK-KOA is 4x weekly in Nov: Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
And 3x weekly in August: Tue/Thu/Sat.

We'll see if the quarantine is extended again in HI, time will tell if this even operates.

Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And 3x weekly in August: Tue/Thu/Sat.

We'll see if the quarantine is extended again in HI, time will tell if this even operates.

Very strange that they run Sat, Tu, Th in August then it appears they flip it and run Sun, Mon, Wed, Friday later in the year. I don't know exactly what dates the changes occur but all I know is when I need the direct flight it isn't running and apparently when I can't use it (ie. Aug) it is running on Sat. Go figure..... But as you state, this may all be moot if the quarantine is extended.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:32 am

It's surprising the OAK-Hawaii flights still exist at all, through the WN entry and now this.
JPat likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Very strange that they run Sat, Tu, Th in August then it appears they flip it and run Sun, Mon, Wed, Friday later in the year. I don't know exactly what dates the changes occur but all I know is when I need the direct flight it isn't running and apparently when I can't use it (ie. Aug) it is running on Sat. Go figure..... But as you state, this may all be moot if the quarantine is extended.
Tue/Thu/Sat schedule is only for first couple weeks of August. Wed/Fri/Sun/Mon starts on 8/19.

Old Jun 23, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Tue/Thu/Sat schedule is only for first couple weeks of August. Wed/Fri/Sun/Mon starts on 8/19.

Thanks! I figured someone would come up with the exact date of the schedule switch. I think I will look into that Sat WN direct flight although the hours are not so great for me. As I work there certain days of flying work better than others hence the reason for my somewhat inflexible schedule. Thanks again for the info.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Well as predicted it now looks like AS dropped direct flights into KOA completely (well at least through August). Having to now depart out of SJC into KOA which is far from ideal for me. Even when Hawaii opens up I suspect OAK into KOA will never attain the previous level of direct flights into KOA.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

From what I see it looks like SJC to KOA and back is running about every other day in August. Hopefully this won't be cancelled as I have booked a couple RT's now. As above not sure what the future status of OAK to KOA will be. Southwest out of OAK to KOA is also not running at all after the first week of August. For now they said they would look into restarting in September.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:53 pm

It's odd to see them cut SFO-KOA but, so far at least, OAK-KOA is still on the schedule in October and beyond (along with OAK-LIH). Why are the rules so different for these routes than any others? These are the only routes served at OAK but not SFO, while basically everything else only goes through SFO (or SJC).
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It's odd to see them cut SFO-KOA but, so far at least, OAK-KOA is still on the schedule in October and beyond (along with OAK-LIH). Why are the rules so different for these routes than any others? These are the only routes served at OAK but not SFO, while basically everything else only goes through SFO (or SJC).
UA has a few flights from SFO... one of a couple reasons.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
UA has a few flights from SFO... one of a couple reasons.
Yes, but that doesn’t explain why these flights and no others are OAK-specific. It’s not like there isn’t competition at OAK - WN and HA on OAK-LIH and WN on OAK-KOA.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Yes, but that doesn’t explain why these flights and no others are OAK-specific. It’s not like there isn’t competition at OAK - WN and HA on OAK-LIH and WN on OAK-KOA.
JMHO, when (not if) travel opens up into all of Hawaii I anticipate OAK to the Islands will ramp up again. I still have a OAK-KOA flight booked for late November so that is still running AS OF NOW. UA out of SFO at one point was running THREE direct flights into KOA alone on certain days. I was blown away by this as I had no idea there was that much travel into KOA even in high season but I guess they were filling them. Having said that it did last long as after only running them a few months the SIP order came down and it was game over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.