Search

QX headed back to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
QX headed back to Alaska

Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?
Guessing flights 61/66 and 64/65 will stay 737 for cargo purposes plus for capacity on ANC-JNU, but that’s just a guess.

This feels like a redux of the Q400 experiment, which was mostly about getting 737’s off ANC-FAI. Except the 175 is vastly superior from a passenger perspective.

Wouldn’t be surprised if ADQ gets the E175 eventually, too.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Chugach
Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying
You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Looks like E-175's will start ANC-SEA route

Saw this on ADN today about E-175's fulfilling some ANC-SEA flights. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...-state-routes/
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by BOB W
You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LGACIC
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.
They could get a little bumpy over the Alaska Range since they had to fly lower but nothing terrible in the many times I had to fly them on the route. Never took them to ADQ or SCC though.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^
I saw that little nugget in the headline. I’d imagine (hope) they are looking at ENA, at least. Probably waiting to see what happens with Zombie Ravn before pulling the trigger on Kenai or anyplace else.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by LGACIC
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...
Well, that does sound terrifying!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.
Even more interesting as at least one of the ConocoPhilps birds is a former QX bird.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.
What dates? I'm looking at random July dates and can't find anything other than a normal non-stop to DLG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.