QX headed back to Alaska

Old Jun 22, 20, 4:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 2,762
QX headed back to Alaska

Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying
eponymous_coward likes this.
Chugach is online now  
Old Jun 22, 20, 4:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ballard, WA (SEA/PAE/LKE)
Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,798
Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?
bmvaughn is offline  
Old Jun 22, 20, 4:46 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 2,762
Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?
Guessing flights 61/66 and 64/65 will stay 737 for cargo purposes plus for capacity on ANC-JNU, but thatís just a guess.

This feels like a redux of the Q400 experiment, which was mostly about getting 737ís off ANC-FAI. Except the 175 is vastly superior from a passenger perspective.

Wouldnít be surprised if ADQ gets the E175 eventually, too.
Chugach is online now  
Old Jun 22, 20, 9:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,427
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying
You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!
BOB W is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 2:02 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ANC
Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Posts: 910
Looks like E-175's will start ANC-SEA route

Saw this on ADN today about E-175's fulfilling some ANC-SEA flights. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...-state-routes/
AKLifetimeFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 5:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, NZ Silver
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.
LGACIC is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 8:40 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,797
Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^
beckoa is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 9:06 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 2,762
Originally Posted by LGACIC View Post
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.
They could get a little bumpy over the Alaska Range since they had to fly lower but nothing terrible in the many times I had to fly them on the route. Never took them to ADQ or SCC though.
Chugach is online now  
Old Jun 23, 20, 10:03 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 2,762
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^
I saw that little nugget in the headline. Iíd imagine (hope) they are looking at ENA, at least. Probably waiting to see what happens with Zombie Ravn before pulling the trigger on Kenai or anyplace else.
Chugach is online now  
Old Jun 23, 20, 10:57 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,427
Originally Posted by LGACIC View Post
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...
BOB W is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 11:12 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, NZ Silver
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...
Well, that does sound terrifying!
LGACIC is offline  
Old Jun 24, 20, 1:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ANC
Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Posts: 910
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...
Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.
AKLifetimeFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 24, 20, 3:38 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.
Even more interesting as at least one of the ConocoPhilps birds is a former QX bird.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
SNAnghbr is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 2,762
Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.
Chugach is online now  
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,758
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.
What dates? I'm looking at random July dates and can't find anything other than a normal non-stop to DLG.
PDXPremier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: