FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   QX headed back to Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2020234-qx-headed-back-alaska.html)

Chugach Jun 22, 2020 4:08 pm

QX headed back to Alaska

Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying

bmvaughn Jun 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?

Chugach Jun 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 32477266)
Could this plane be used on the milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC? Or is that so cargo-heavy that they require 737 service?

Guessing flights 61/66 and 64/65 will stay 737 for cargo purposes plus for capacity on ANC-JNU, but that’s just a guess.

This feels like a redux of the Q400 experiment, which was mostly about getting 737’s off ANC-FAI. Except the 175 is vastly superior from a passenger perspective.

Wouldn’t be surprised if ADQ gets the E175 eventually, too.

BOB W Jun 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 32477221)
Only this time with E175's.

Looks like ANC-FAI/AKN/DLG to begin with; curious if they will also use it on SEA-ANC to rotate in and out of the state.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...-alaska-flying

You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!

AKLifetimeFlyer Jun 23, 2020 2:02 am

Looks like E-175's will start ANC-SEA route

Saw this on ADN today about E-175's fulfilling some ANC-SEA flights. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...-state-routes/

LGACIC Jun 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 32477723)
You had me scared for a minute with flashbacks of the disastrous Q400 launch and ultimate failure. Having been on flights that were downright scary, I was about to give up on this new experiment. The E175's make better sense and I suspect AS is repurposing them now that RAVN is out of the picture (and Covid-19 freeing up aircraft_. Time will tell how it goes but I wish AS success!

Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.

beckoa Jun 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^

Chugach Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by LGACIC (Post 32480137)
Okay, off topic, but were the Q400s really that bad in AK? I mean, I hate the plane in general, but how were they scary to fly there? I've never much more than ordinary turbulence between ANC and FAI.

They could get a little bumpy over the Alaska Range since they had to fly lower but nothing terrible in the many times I had to fly them on the route. Never took them to ADQ or SCC though.

Chugach Jun 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 32480454)
Excited to see what new routes AS offers ^

I saw that little nugget in the headline. I’d imagine (hope) they are looking at ENA, at least. Probably waiting to see what happens with Zombie Ravn before pulling the trigger on Kenai or anyplace else.

BOB W Jun 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by LGACIC (Post 32480137)

The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...

LGACIC Jun 23, 2020 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 32480666)
The Q400's did not take well to the cold weather in Alaska. I was on a flight ANC-FAI in the winter that was beyond scary. At altitude over Denali, the engines were surging, then almost cutting out, then surging again, over and over again. It seemed that the pilots were struggling to keep them running. When we landed in FAI, the return flight was cancelled. The plane simply does not work well in cold climates. I find this weird since at altitude the flight is in extreme cold, but they have all been moved to warmer routes...

Well, that does sound terrifying!

AKLifetimeFlyer Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 32480666)

Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.

SNAnghbr Jun 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer (Post 32482436)
Interesting, seeing that ConocoPhillips is using Q400's to fly into Kuparuk now.

Even more interesting as at least one of the ConocoPhilps birds is a former QX bird.

Chugach Jun 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.

PDXPremier Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 32485439)
Found the first E175 flight in Alaska...flight 2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC daily.

Nothing for ANC-FAI/SEA yet.

What dates? I'm looking at random July dates and can't find anything other than a normal non-stop to DLG.