Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEA-IAH canceled tomorrow (6/21), Nothing available until 6/23?!

Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

What is AS doing, cancelling flights like this? How do they expect to get people to book if there is a (pretty good) chance they will be stranded. I saw another thread today about the SLC-SEA-ANC fiasco. A good friend of mine is trying to get home to IAH and tomorrow's AS 698 was cancelled. AS said the soonest they can get him there is the 23rd. How can this be? I would be irate!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
What is AS doing, cancelling flights like this? How do they expect to get people to book if there is a (pretty good) chance they will be stranded. I saw another thread today about the SLC-SEA-ANC fiasco. A good friend of mine is trying to get home to IAH and tomorrow's AS 698 was cancelled. AS said the soonest they can get him there is the 23rd. How can this be? I would be irate!
The limited footprint (and frequencies) of AS has always been a problem in IROPS, except perhaps up and down the west coast. COVID-19, with its route cancellations and decreased frequencies, only exacerbates the situation that already existed.

Id be asking AS to reroute me on another airline in this scenario, although I havent dealt with them for COVID-19 related IROPS thus far, so I dont know whether theyre being stingy in this regard and insisting on AS rerouting.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by metallo
The limited footprint (and frequencies) of AS have always been a problem (except perhaps up and down the west coast). COVID-19, with its route cancellations and decreased frequencies, only exacerbates the situation that already existed.
Apparently the flight crew timed out. This is going to be an issue henceforth for city pairs with only 1X per day service.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:26 pm

Apparently the flight crew timed out. This is going to be an issue henceforth for city pairs with only 1X per day service.
One would think there would be an excess of reserve flight crew considering they are only flying a fraction of the number of flights they were last year at the same time. Like how do you cancel a morning flight from the largest hub due to lack of crew?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by metallo
The limited footprint (and frequencies) of AS has always been a problem in IROPS, except perhaps up and down the west coast. COVID-19, with its route cancellations and decreased frequencies, only exacerbates the situation that already existed.

I’d be asking AS to reroute me on another airline in this scenario, although I haven’t dealt with them for COVID-19 related IROPS thus far, so I don’t know whether they’re being stingy in this regard and insisting on AS rerouting.
I was booked on Evening JFK SEA decently booked flight last weekend but flight cancelled 6 days prior. Earlier 11:30 flight was already Booked full but agent insisted they Are not authorized to book on other carrier but Alaska only. I was on a main cabin albeit R class fare. They offered me routing via LAX Which involves an overnight in LAX, or same day early morning From over the Hudson Newark via SFO to SEA. All terrible options. Miraculously, a new flight Was added Wednesday, which departed at 10am from JFK Sun Jun 14 AS9231. I had them reverse course and placed me back to the newly added flight.

Am not sure how they found resources to fund this flight but am glad they got this flight to operate. Inbound SEA to JFK june13 had about 10 passengers, but return AS9231 must have had about 80 passengers....probably Gaining passengers from originally cancelled5pm flight and perhaps got some of the overbooked 11:30 passengers to fly earlier.

My phone agent insisted they aren’t able to use other carriers. Seem that is one way they are preventing The bleeding of core operating costs.

Jiburi

PS- As for IAH flight, I see that flights are full beyond 6/24 now. I wonder if AS could sub A321 for the originally scheduled 739. 🤔

Last edited by jiburi; Jun 21, 2020 at 2:55 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
UA isnt even flying SEA-IAH right now. Id request a refund from AS and rebook on another carrier with a connection (DL via SLC is the most straight-line connection). Ridiculous that AS wont offer a solution on something so egregious. Thats ULCC-level stupid.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would look at other options for today and tomorrow and price them. If cheaper, cancel AS for a refund and purchase a new ticket. If more expensive, at least ask for a reroute. Have the specific carrier(s) and flights handy. Don't expect much.

AS has reserves to match its smaller footprint and this is going to be a problem going forward. Hard for it to compete on TCON and MIDCON routes against the legacies.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:38 am

As a data point, I have family that was booked on the original 6/21 flight.
AS rebooked them on a United flight for 6/22 through Denver without prompting.
After checking, no flight options were available on United to get to IAH on 6/21.
AS was operating flights to Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas with space for 6/21 so I am assuming they could have been accommodated in those if they wished.
Often1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.