FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Flight Cancelled, "Next Available" SIX Days Later (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2020109-flight-cancelled-next-available-six-days-later.html)

Kaphias Jun 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Flight Cancelled, "Next Available" SIX Days Later

I have a friend who was scheduled to fly SLC-SEA-ANC on 6/25. Received a notification last night that the SLC-SEA portion, Flight 497, was cancelled. Called AS, they said next available flight out of SLC is on 7/1... six days after the original flight. She was unsure what to do with that pleasant bit of information so left the call at that. What can I have her ask for when she calls back - refund to original form of payment? Rebook sooner than six days later on a different carrier at no cost to her? Obviously things are nuts right now but cancelled with a SIX day delay?

AKLifetimeFlyer Jun 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kaphias (Post 32472287)
I have a friend who was scheduled to fly SLC-SEA-ANC on 6/25. Received a notification last night that the SLC-SEA portion, Flight 497, was cancelled. Called AS, they said next available flight out of SLC is on 7/1... six days after the original flight. She was unsure what to do with that pleasant bit of information so left the call at that. What can I have her ask for when she calls back - refund to original form of payment? Rebook sooner than six days later on a different carrier at no cost to her? Obviously things are nuts right now but cancelled with a SIX day delay?

There are plenty of other flights on AS. AS just has to put her on another one. Their rebookings have been goofy lately but if she gets someone on the phone there is no reason why they won't put her on another AS flight, there are plenty of them.

PDXPremier Jun 20, 2020 3:13 pm

I would let it sit just a day or so...sometimes there are flights that don't show up for sale, but they exist and could potentially have seats for sale.

miadukes Jun 22, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32472327)
I would let it sit just a day or so...sometimes there are flights that don't show up for sale, but they exist and could potentially have seats for sale.

This. We were booked and flights changed (again) and I left it for like a week, kept looking online and it looked like AS just keeps tweaking their schedule, literally hourly. I finally callled this weekend since we are due to travel next week and they had put us on a flight that existed but did NOT show up ANYWHERE and trust me I looked everywhere for options we liked.

Erasmus Jun 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Alaska flight schedules are very fluid right now, and there is a real reduction in frequencies meaning that some times the auto reaccomodation process can't handle everyone, and there just may not be seats. For example, rebooking my family of four with current seat limitations means there can be at most two other people booked in the first class cabin on certain equipment. We had to reroute to avoid a week-long delay trying to get out of an infrequently served city caused by yesterday's schedule changes.

pcoll Jun 22, 2020 2:59 pm

AS current implementation of flight rescheduling has most of us unhappy. Our flight for next week has “disappeared” 3 times in last 2 weeks. I constantly check just To keep on top of this. Never had an email regarding this .
Latest re accommodation had us on different flights! Hold time when calling MVP line was 3.5 - 4 hours.

Kaphias Jun 23, 2020 11:06 pm

I appreciate the suggestions, all. She decided to just stay the extra week - no summer tourism job to get back to anyways.

pushmyredbutton Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am

I ran into this issue over the weekend, overall terrible service from AS.

I was mid-trip on June 20, scheduled to fly from BOS-SEA-DEN on June 23rd.
Got an email that AS cancelled the last SEA-DEN flight of the day going forward.

I'm used to advance schedule changes, but to cancel a flight 3 days before is a bit disruptive.
Called AS, and the best they could do was put me on a SEA-DEN flight a week later!

Not sure why they cancelled if there was so much demand, but AS basically told me to pound sand. No alternate routing possible, no other airlines offered
Since this was within a few days of flying, other options were nearly 4x the price I paid.

Ended up with a forced overnight in SEA at my expense, with a nail biting standby experience this morning.

Often1 Jun 24, 2020 10:55 am

She should start by doing her own research. Are there, in fact, any alternatives showing? If so, simply call AS and ask to be rebooked onto the desired flight. If not, then keep trying.

In the same time-frame, take a look at SLC-ANC on all carriers. If you can find anything else on other carriers and the cost is roughly the same or less, cancel the AS ticket for a refund and purchase the new ticket.

nomiiiii Jun 24, 2020 11:08 am

Alaska has been extremely bad about last minute flight changes, to the point that for this summer I've used the virus cancellation flexibility to book backup flights on Delta/Southwest for every single Alaska flight, and then the day before I decide if I want to take the massively schedule-changed alaska flight or my backup option.

sltlyamusd Aug 1, 2020 2:11 pm

According to flightaware, 47 QX flights are canceled today, 15% of their scheduled operations. Anyone know what’s up?

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/QXE/cancelled

navydevildoc Aug 1, 2020 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 32574483)
According to flightaware, 47 QX flights are canceled today, 15% of their scheduled operations. Anyone know what’s up?

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/QXE/cancelled

Most likely low pax load, that's what they have been doing for a while, isn't it?