Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Temporarily Suspending LAX-JFK and LAX-IAD

AS Temporarily Suspending LAX-JFK and LAX-IAD

Old Jun 19, 20, 11:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1
AS Temporarily Suspending LAX-JFK and LAX-IAD

Just tried to book flights on the AS app from LAX to JFK and LAX to IAD for September and it is showing no direct flights to both East Coast cities from LAX on AS.

What is going on?
Babydoll4u is offline  
Old Jun 20, 20, 6:21 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SEA
Posts: 142
Not surprised. I don't think I will ever understand the decision to buy virgin America and dissolve it.
SFO777, cmd320, be_rettSEA and 1 others like this.
StrandedinLA is offline  
Old Jun 20, 20, 7:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,054
Flights show as returning on October 1st (although schedule that far out shouldn't be considered finalized yet). They were cut for July through September a few weeks ago -- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446687
Yoshi212 likes this.
xliioper is offline  
Old Jun 20, 20, 1:44 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,927
Originally Posted by Babydoll4u View Post
What is going on?
COVID-19 related reductions in service. I guess you hadn’t heard.

Seattle Times: To survive the pandemic, AS prepares to shrink and shed 1000s of jobs

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA View Post
Not surprised. I don't think I will ever understand the decision to buy virgin America and dissolve it.


“Yeah, we’re totally wanting to shrink the business as a result of the worst pandemic in 100+ years plus a recession that might make 2008-2011 look mild”.
Adam1222 likes this.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jun 20, 20, 5:36 pm
  #5  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: BOS/PVD/ORH
Programs: AA PP
Posts: 293
Once they got rid of the VX seats and service they no longer had a competitive product compared to AA/UA/DL/B6 on JFK transcons.

With COVID, they likely believe they can accommodate LAX-WAS traffic via DCA, given that another airline would need a beyond-perimeter slot to start a competing route and most DC residents prefer DCA.

Buying VX and then “downgrading” the service is odd to me, but it is entirely possible that short haul west coast routes make more money than transcons, given that a plane might be able to make 3 trips up and down the west coast in the time it can make one transcon trip; if airfares fall a certain way it’s just a more efficient use of the asset.
cmd320 and Yoshi212 like this.
VFR is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 7:15 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,750
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Once they got rid of the VX seats and service they no longer had a competitive product compared to AA/UA/DL/B6 on JFK transcons.
This, people flying transcons are generally not interested in an underwhelming domestic F type product.
cmd320 is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:14 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,896
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
This, people flying transcons are generally not interested in an underwhelming domestic F type product.
Do you really think those black/gray manually operated leather recliners would still be competitive especially with those hipster millenials providing "reactive" service beckoned by RED? I am sure they were cool when they were first introduced but they were stuck in the psychedelic purple haze of an era past. Oh, and they weren't that comfortable.

James
ctporter likes this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:22 pm
  #8  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: BOS/PVD/ORH
Programs: AA PP
Posts: 293
I should also add that buying VX was worth it to prevent B6 from having a west coast hub.

I wouldn't be too surprised for AS to reduce frequencies on or close some of the LAX transcon markets and move planes to SEA/PDX/SFO, partly because they no longer offer a competitive transcon product and partly to withdraw from AA's backyard in LAX. It's anti-competitive, but possible to explain it to regulators as the airline shrinking due to COVID.
VFR is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,750
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Do you really think those black/gray manually operated leather recliners would still be competitive especially with those hipster millenials providing "reactive" service beckoned by RED? I am sure they were cool when they were first introduced but they were stuck in the psychedelic purple haze of an era past. Oh, and they weren't that comfortable.

James
No doubt it wasn’t as competitive as a lie flat but certainly more competitive that what one expects on a two hour domestic.
sltlyamusd likes this.
cmd320 is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 9:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,896
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
No doubt it wasn’t as competitive as a lie flat but certainly more competitive that what one expects on a two hour domestic.
Perhaps so, but aren't we talking about transcons commencing from a California Market? Personally, I made a concious choice not to fly the 2-3 hour domestic flights on the pmVX Airbus.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 20, 20, 10:05 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,927
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Buying VX and then “downgrading” the service is odd to me, but it is entirely possible that short haul west coast routes make more money than transcons, given that a plane might be able to make 3 trips up and down the west coast in the time it can make one transcon trip; if airfares fall a certain way it’s just a more efficient use of the asset.
How odd is it? Even B6 doesn’t run Mint fleetwide. Did you think AS was going to install 8 F recliners to serve the massive market for ultra-premium F for SAN-PDX or ANC-JNU? Most of AS’s markets aren’t even transcon- let alone premium transcon. How many 789s with Polaris is UA flying on EWR-SEA? Does AS need to run a premium F cabin everywhere when literally nobody does this in an industry where everyone copycats if it makes them 25 cents more profit?

Yay, we’re still rehashing the VX acquisition!
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jun 20, 20, 10:14 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,750
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Perhaps so, but aren't we talking about transcons commencing from a California Market? Personally, I made a concious choice not to fly the 2-3 hour domestic flights on the pmVX Airbus.

James
I’m not sure I understand your point.
cmd320 is online now  
Old Jun 21, 20, 3:18 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,896
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I’m not sure I understand your point.
The topic is AS discontinuing transcon service out of LAX to IAD & JFK. It was suggested that AS should have kept an 8F pmVX cabin to be competitive in the CA transcon market. The dated product, IMO, wouldn't be at all competitive today.

I have flown a few F transcons in pmVX configured A319 & A320s. The A319 JFK-SEA was a last minute downgrade from an A321 (which I have yet to fly) I never liked the hard product (dark, smaller windows, purple plexiglass that reflected back a distorted image of yourself...) and the prissy young hip FAs with their "I am too good to be an AS employee" attitudes were a little hard to swallow.

My first pmVX F flight was (2-3 hour flight as you mentioned) SEA-LAX. The blatant disregard for passenger safety was appauling and the FAs refused to wear name tags or even make eye contact. Subsequently, I consciously made sure to not include any Airbus in my itineraries.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 21, 20, 6:07 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,750
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
The topic is AS discontinuing transcon service out of LAX to IAD & JFK. It was suggested that AS should have kept an 8F pmVX cabin to be competitive in the CA transcon market. The dated product, IMO, wouldn't be at all competitive today.
So you’re suggesting that a basic domestic F product with marginal legroom and minimal recline is more competitive in the premium transcon market?
cmd320 is online now  
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:11 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Posts: 4,597
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I should also add that buying VX was worth it to prevent B6 from having a west coast hub.

I wouldn't be too surprised for AS to reduce frequencies on or close some of the LAX transcon markets and move planes to SEA/PDX/SFO, partly because they no longer offer a competitive transcon product and partly to withdraw from AA's backyard in LAX. It's anti-competitive, but possible to explain it to regulators as the airline shrinking due to COVID.
With AS trying to get rid of the Airbus aircraft as soon as possible and the MAX grounded, AS won’t have those planes to move to SEA/PDX/SFO. Cutting their weakest flights makes sense. Better to keep flying routes where they are more likely to be competitive and toss the rest.
sfozrhfco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: