Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Government Employee Fare Codes? (YCA and _CA)

Old Jun 16, 20, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond

Does anyone know what fare code/class government tickets are? Those booked through DTS.
Old Jun 16, 20, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I believe the Govt contract carrier on any particular route uses a fare code with a basic inventory bucket (Y, Q, K, H, etc) followed by "CA"; iirc, at one time there was also another category "DG" which other carriers could apply to matching fares

GSA City Pair Program website

FY20 City Pair highlights
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I would also mention that Gov't contract fares do not earn any class of service bonus. I found that out the hard way after my Y class SEA-DCA trip...
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Iíve never flown Alaskan and Iím doing a status match to MVP Gold because Iíll now be in the position to fly them more often. I just didnít know if upgrades to the government fares were restricted. I usually fly AA and cannot use a System Wide Upgrade on government fares.
Old Jun 16, 20, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, UA Gold
YCA books into Y, I think. _CA books into whatever the first letter ends up being. In DTS's flight selection screen, you should be be able to click on the flight and have it tell you the fare class. I often end up in R.

Upgrades will work as normal so long as your AS number transmits. I've occasionally had to add it manually after booking.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS MVPG
FWIW, on Alaska they are rarely actually Government (at least on CONUS routes IME), but rather “me too” rates that AS offers to match the GSA rate in the market. Not all agencies are allowed to book such fares. Might be worth investigating the GSA tables to make sure AS is actually the contract carrier for the relevant city pair and your agency will allow you to purchase if not.
Old Jun 16, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by finlandia View Post
Upgrades will work as normal so long as your AS number transmits. I've occasionally had to add it manually after booking.
But no instant upgrade on government Y, IIRC.
Old Jun 16, 20, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, UA Gold
Ah, good point. I meant upgrades within the elite upgrade window will work normally.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 16, 20, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS, DL Kryptonium Medallion, UA, Starbucks Gold
In my limited experience a few years ago, AS was also willing to disclose government fares, availability, and and fare codes over the phone so you could then look for them on DTS.

IIRC, DCA is one of the few east coast stations staffed by actual Alaska Airlines employees and DCA-SEA and DCA-PDX (not sure about DCA-LAX/SFO) tend to be staffed by specific crews with lots of seniority as it's a high bid route.
Old Jun 16, 20, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
I’ve never flown Alaskan and I’m doing a status match to MVP Gold because I’ll now be in the position to fly them more often. I just didn’t know if upgrades to the government fares were restricted. I usually fly AA and cannot use a System Wide Upgrade on government fares.
it’s Alaska; there’s no “N” on the end

Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Might be worth investigating the GSA tables to make sure AS is actually the contract carrier for the relevant city pair and your agency will allow you to purchase if not.
AS has the contract for DCA-SEA and DCA/BWI-PDX

AA has DCA-LAX; UA has DCA-SFO, IAD-LAX/SEA/SFO
Old Jun 17, 20, 2:58 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE View Post
In my limited experience a few years ago, AS was also willing to disclose government fares, availability, and and fare codes over the phone so you could then look for them on DTS.

IIRC, DCA is one of the few east coast stations staffed by actual Alaska Airlines employees and DCA-SEA and DCA-PDX (not sure about DCA-LAX/SFO) tend to be staffed by specific crews with lots of seniority as it's a high bid route.
Some of my best flights (and not just AS flights) have been on that DCA-PDX run. I think some of the staff at DCA also once upon a time worked for TWA.
Old Jun 17, 20, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
But no instant upgrade on government Y, IIRC.
This is correct, and no fare class bonus on Y, either. Have been upgraded a handful of times, though, and almost exclusively on the Y fares given how long the upgrade list usually is on the route. And can agree with others about the seniority of FAs. Saw a lot of the same ones (and some I really got to know a bit) on the route.. In my experience (at least 5 years of govt travel in SEA/DCA route), the capacity limited fare _CA has booked into Q fare bucket.

Last edited by be_rettSEA; Jun 17, 20 at 7:42 am
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
itís Alaska; thereís no ďNĒ on the end

AS has the contract for DCA-SEA and DCA/BWI-PDX

AA has DCA-LAX; UA has DCA-SFO, IAD-LAX/SEA/SFO
Iím about to move so I wonít be flying out of DCA anymore and we have a lot of leeway with the booking we do as long as itís one of the three government Rates. Plus itís sometimes cheaper than the actual GSA rate so itís an easy sell to the approver.
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
Iím about to move so I wonít be flying out of DCA anymore and we have a lot of leeway with the booking we do as long as itís one of the three government Rates. Plus itís sometimes cheaper than the actual GSA rate so itís an easy sell to the approver.
RIP to leaving home/the office an hour before your flight and still making it before boarding starts. I love flying out of DCA. And lucky your agency is still being flexible on travel. I got away with lower cost fares combined w/ date changes for personal travel allowing me to use AS (and on LAX/DCA, upgraded almost everytime) for a good year or so before they required us all to use contract carriers only, every single flight. At least AA counts toward earning on AS again, but I miss flying them (not that I'm flying anymore period for awhile anyhow though).
hawkfan7314 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: