Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

FT Challenge: Can you find U space on ANY non-stop flight to/from PDX or SEA?

Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I noticed that ever since the July schedule changes that occurred last weekend, I can't find a single flight from PDX or SEA through the end of July that has even on U class seat. My guess is that the same will happen to U class in August when those schedule changes take place (presumably next month). I know they are trying to limit seats due to social distancing, but it just seemed odd that ever single PDX or SEA flight zero'd out in U class through the end of July.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
A fun challenge, and one that I have failed thus far. That said, it's nice to see that I'm not alone.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
A fun challenge, and one that I have failed thus far. That said, it's nice to see that I'm not alone.
My guess is that this is partly due to social distancing on board through July (at least) and they are moving all upgrades to gate control to manage seating. I had no problem finding U space a few weeks ago, but it literally disappeared after last weekend.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
In normal times, after schedule updates I've also seen all U space pull back for a few days.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Questions like this challenge and "Has anyone...?" almost always can be answered positively. Here are two QX for June. July is more of a challenge, but U is available PDX-DFW on mainline AS 652 on 8/1, as well as 3/4 SEA-DFW flights on that day.

NB. AS is adding mainline service (A320) back to SEA-DAL in July. No U yet on the random days I checked.

eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Questions like this challenge and "Has anyone...?" almost always can be answered positively. Here are two QX for June. July is more of a challenge, but U is available PDX-DFW on mainline AS 652 on 8/1, as well as 3/4 SEA-DFW flights on that day.

NB. AS is adding mainline service (A320) back to SEA-DAL in July. No U yet on the random days I checked.

Congrats! Particularly on finding U space in June....the August schedule seems relatively untouched and therefore a lot easier to find U space....now if you can find that elusive U space in July, let us know
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Why are you making me do all the work? Hard to find? Yes. Nonexistent? Not at all.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 12, 2020 at 8:20 pm
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone

Interesting that AS2411 is already selling in K class or higher. I anticipate the fare buckets are 2/3 or less of what they would normally be with seat blocking. H class for a 75K without a GGU is $364, $5 more than purchasung F. lol

James
eponymous_coward and pcoll like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It's still hard to find and is rarely a good value, but it's back! U space for a Jan 17th flight:

So far, I've only found it to/from SEA, PDX and LAX
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:14 pm

It's still hard to find and is rarely a good value, but it's back! U space for a Jan 17th flight:

U is for unicorn! But I just saw some more U on PDX-SEA the first week of the year too. Wondering if its worth using to attach a companion fare to - and extend the life of GGUs....

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 7, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:28 pm

This is a promising development. Thank you for reviving the thread with some results, RAD_PDX. I'm seeing some U availability on DCA > SEA (example: January 16 is showing U3), but with a one-way I fare for $279, it is cheaper to outright buy F than buying a K+ fare and using a GGU.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
U is for unicorn! But I just saw some more U on PDX-SEA the first week of the year too. Wondering if its worth using to attach a companion fare to - and extend the life of GGUs....
oUtstanding! I can't wait to attach one of my 10 expiring GGUs to this inventory so I can pay $60 more not to get a 75% COS bonus, 2 checked bags & Lounge access in SEA & LAX.

I will just let them, along with the AL Passes die.

James
pcoll and williwaw like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert
This is a promising development. Thank you for reviving the thread with some results, RAD_PDX. I'm seeing some U availability on DCA > SEA (example: January 16 is showing U3), but with a one-way I fare for $279, it is cheaper to outright buy F than buying a K+ fare and using a GGU.
At the very least, this should be a sign that AS does not plan to extend it's seat blocking policy past the current date.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
oUtstanding! I can't wait to attach one of my 10 expiring GGUs to this inventory so I can pay $60 more not to get a 75% COS bonus, 2 checked bags & Lounge access in SEA & LAX.

I will just let them, along with the AL Passes die.

James
Id assume Id roll the fare into something more useful and extend the GGU life when ticket changed. But it is sort of a Hail Mary pass....
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
As a follow-up: I'm seeing a fair amount of U space on DCA > PDX once the nonstop flight resumes on 2/11. With the current 40% Touchdown & Takeoff Sale (thanks, Russell!) I was just able to book a one-way ticket in February for $174 and confirm F by burning a GGU that is due to expire at the end of the year.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.