Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Seattle Times: To survive the pandemic, AS prepares to shrink and shed 1000s of jobs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle Times: To survive the pandemic, AS prepares to shrink and shed 1000s of jobs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
Interesting.

Are they just asking the typical 'Have you been near anyone with symptoms lately?', 'Have you had symptoms lately?', and 'Have you traveled to a hotspot lately?' questions.
For flights departing SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, the answer to the last question would be yes for all passengers. Have you traveled to a hotspot lately?

For a wiseguy, "have you had symptoms lately", 90-100% of people have the same symptoms as an asymptomatic Covid-19 patient.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
For flights departing SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, the answer to the last question would be yes for all passengers. Have you traveled to a hotspot lately?

For a wiseguy, "have you had symptoms lately", 90-100% of people have the same symptoms as an asymptomatic Covid-19 patient.
You forgot flights departing JFK, EWR, BOS, FLL....

I am still curious what the questions will be.

Speaking of which: Yesterday I had my first medical appointment since the pandemic began. An email from the provider's office told me they'd take my temperature and "ask me a series of screening questions" upon my arrival.

I was ready for The Spanish Inquisition.

Instead, after the receptionist met me at the door and took my temperature, her screening question was, "So...<shrug>...any problems?" To which I proudly and accurately answered, "YES. LOTS! Lots and lots of problems. But none that I think we're talking about here."

Point is, which I'm sure you're stating too, screening questions of any sort are going to contribute very little to the general health and welfare. The fact that they exist might help put some people at ease, and I guess there is some value in that, but that's about as far as it goes.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raymoland
You may have to wait. My wife works for a major Seattle area employer who are likely one of AS' top 5 customers. She has been in budget meetings the past couple of days. Their travel budget for 2021 is 90% lower than it was for 2020.
May I ask whether that's the budget for the entire company, or just a certain division or function?

I'm not part of budget meetings at my company (could be the same one, who knows), but I'm getting the sense that our trips to other company locations will continue to be curtailed, but those to customer sites will resume.

In other words, the folks in Sales will resume flying off to play golf with existing or prospective customers at Pebble Beach, Les Bordes, and Abiko. But if I need to collaborate with a group of colleagues in Virginia or Berlin, I'll sometimes find myself video conferencing in my robe at 5 AM or 10 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sounds to me like the old 9/11 questions you had to answer when checking in both in-person and electronically. (Has your bag been out of your control...) At least on-line, it was like clicking through a "do you accept cookies..." note on a website. You do it without thinking often. I doubt it will stop a person who is symptomatic who really wants to fly. Hope springs eternal but this seems to be a liability play, not one for safety.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Each place I have gone to for work has had a questionnaire (have I been to a hot spot, do I have any symptoms, am I close to someone with the virus) and had my temperature taken. If I did not bring a mask, one was provided. Most places had signage all over the facility about maintaining 6' apart with arrows showing the measurement. At first they were very serious when asking the questions, but now they seem much more relaxed and anticipating you would have all the right answers. I assume it will be similar when checking in for a flight.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Klrduks
Sounds to me like the old 9/11 questions you had to answer when checking in both in-person and electronically. (Has your bag been out of your control...) At least on-line, it was like clicking through a "do you accept cookies..." note on a website. You do it without thinking often. I doubt it will stop a person who is symptomatic who really wants to fly. Hope springs eternal but this seems to be a liability play, not one for safety.
This - a questionnaire will not completely indemnify AS from a potential Covid claim but it'll be a lot better than having done nothing.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
May I ask whether that's the budget for the entire company, or just a certain division or function?

I'm not part of budget meetings at my company (could be the same one, who knows), but I'm getting the sense that our trips to other company locations will continue to be curtailed, but those to customer sites will resume.

In other words, the folks in Sales will resume flying off to play golf with existing or prospective customers at Pebble Beach, Les Bordes, and Abiko. But if I need to collaborate with a group of colleagues in Virginia or Berlin, I'll sometimes find myself video conferencing in my robe at 5 AM or 10 PM.
My Fortune 500 company hosts conferences. They aren't planning for any of those anytime soon. And frankly if you can get pretty good results with video instead of an in person 5000 person conference, without paying for catering, hotels, tchotchkes, etc. that's all economic activity that isn't coming back, plus the planes to fly people around, and it's savings the beancounters can capture.
be_rettSEA and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My Fortune 500 company hosts conferences. They aren't planning for any of those anytime soon. And frankly if you can get pretty good results with video instead of an in person 5000 person conference, without paying for catering, hotels, tchotchkes, etc. that's all economic activity that isn't coming back, plus the planes to fly people around, and it's savings the beancounters can capture.
I hear ya. We've got one near the end of each year in Vegas that attracts 40K+, and so far it's still taking registrations for in-person attendance. I've no insight into this, but I'm guessing a decision won't be made about whether that really happens until a month or so beforehand. If not, our beancounters will probably be lamenting the partial refunds that'll have to be disbursed. Who can justify the same price for a video conference as an in-person one in Vegas?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive had to transition to doing online training instead of going to our labs across the country, its not as good as the in person training because I have no feed back (body language, facial expressions, etc) So, I do not know when to switch it up and emphasize various portions of the training or shorten others. It has become just a spew it out type of presentation, with much less interaction. All of my association meetings where I am a speaker have been cancelled. from March through October except for one, and that is in MT, but they are making seating charts to ensure social distancing, bringing in plated and packaged foods, and more to ensure limited exposure for those in attendance and those serving the meeting. My meetings are typically between 125-250 people, very small compared to those large events. the one larger event for June did cancel, they are doing several days of meetings online now, with online ballots to formalize acceptance of new standards.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.