Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Would Carlsbad make sense for Alaska turboprops?

Would Carlsbad make sense for Alaska turboprops?

Old Jun 9, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
lol

source of the screenshot (p.6 of the timetable)
offtopic - that timetable is awesome. For someone who didnít grow up in the PNW it is amazing to see some of the routes that were available some 50+ years ago.

Nine stop service from Seattle to Burns, OR?
Old Jun 9, 20, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titatium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
offtopic - that timetable is awesome. For someone who didnít grow up in the PNW it is amazing to see some of the routes that were available some 50+ years ago.

Nine stop service from Seattle to Burns, OR?
Or PDX to Lakeview!!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I would like this also as I live about 5 minutes away from the airport but don't see it happening. Used to always take the AA connection and fly to LAX then onto JFK, ORD, and even Hong Kong once. Did the United connection a few times for flights to Hawaii.
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by holocker View Post
I would like this also as I live about 5 minutes away from the airport but don't see it happening. Used to always take the AA connection and fly to LAX then onto JFK, ORD, and even Hong Kong once. Did the United connection a few times for flights to Hawaii.
The only problem was fog. If it was foggy at Carlsbad, United or American would put you on a bus and drive you to Carlsbad. I remember one time I walked to the commuter gate at LAX and a bunch of people were standing around. The guy behind me asked what was going on. I said fog. We're taking the bus. He asked me if I wanted to split a rental car. I said of course. He had Emerald Aisle access. We hopped in the car and he drove to the airport. I handed him $20 and never spoke to him again.
JPat and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by buzglyd View Post
The only problem was fog. If it was foggy at Carlsbad, United or American would put you on a bus and drive you to Carlsbad. I remember one time I walked to the commuter gate at LAX and a bunch of people were standing around. The guy behind me asked what was going on. I said fog. We're taking the bus. He asked me if I wanted to split a rental car. I said of course. He had Emerald Aisle access. We hopped in the car and he drove to the airport. I handed him $20 and never spoke to him again.
Also very frequent on the SMF-SFO microhop on UA. I have been booked on that flight a dozen times at least and I think I have actually only flown the trip twice. The rest of the times I was in a rental car (often with other random travelers), on Amtrak, or getting rerouted through a different hub.
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS MVPG
FWIW I believe CLD service stopped due to a change in policy at LAX that made it effectively impossible to offer prop service at the airport. Hence, even though AS could fly into CLD, I donít think they could use a prop to service CLD-LAX.
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:43 pm

Programs: Various
Are we talking about from LAX ?

I think the chances are higher that they would take over the LAX-SAN from AA, especially once the partnership settles in.

Seems like the times are ripe for a small contract airline to come in to serve the smaller markets on the west coast, and be partners with all airlines/interline etc. Mokulele Airlines does LAX-IPL. They could add other/similar.
Old Jun 12, 20, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
FWIW I believe CLD service stopped due to a change in policy at LAX that made it effectively impossible to offer prop service at the airport. Hence, even though AS could fly into CLD, I donít think they could use a prop to service CLD-LAX.
I didn't know that. I thought it was because United stopped flying props and the Embraer jets are too big for the CLD runway.
Old Jun 12, 20, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
Seems like the times are ripe for a small contract airline to come in to serve the smaller markets on the west coast, and be partners with all airlines/interline etc. Mokulele Airlines does LAX-IPL. They could add other/similar.
This is already happening, albeit in a hodgepodge way with JSX, Contour, SurfAir, Mokulele, Boutique Air, etc. all doing a few things here and there.

JSX has some relationship with JetBlue and Contour now interlines with AA.

I was optimistic about Contour's possibilities pre-CV19, they seemed to be doing the right things and identifying some interesting routes with broad utility to both business and leisure and thus some demand behind them. Let's see if and how they come out the other side.
Old Jun 14, 20, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
This is already happening, albeit in a hodgepodge way with JSX, Contour, SurfAir, Mokulele, Boutique Air, etc. all doing a few things here and there.

JSX has some relationship with JetBlue and Contour now interlines with AA.

I was optimistic about Contour's possibilities pre-CV19, they seemed to be doing the right things and identifying some interesting routes with broad utility to both business and leisure and thus some demand behind them. Let's see if and how they come out the other side.
I checked the route map. Interesting. Interlining with AA is pretty nice and a CLD-LAX run would work and AA has a big presence there. CLD-PHX would work also with AA.
Old Jun 14, 20, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
again, simple geography and on-the-map connectivity are very different things, and the economics of the prospective operation are even more different

Search this Thread
Search Engine: