Boarding back to front, F last?!

Old May 27, 20, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
And that is why the poster said "a section of!" Of course, that would assume every passenger had the same amount of carry-on, similarly sized and that all overhead bins were created equal from a volume perspective. The bin'ettes for A seats in F on the E175 may hold a few dozen beignets but a stanard acceptably sized roller-bag is dead at the door. Heaven forbid one passenger's carry-on encroaches into another passenger's section. There is a reason it has never been implemented; it is simply impractical.
It isn't just that it is impractical; it's the wrong way to apportion the resource. Some people (I am one of them!) almost never use the overhead space, so it would be inefficient to assign spaces unless the boundaries between them were merely lines. In my experience, it has been exceptionally rare in the last ten years to be on a flight where bin space was not at a premium. So if the space was subdivided somewhat equitably, it seems clear there would not be enough for most people who wanted to stow a bag and too much for those who do not. This isn't like a swimming pool with a separate shoe locker--everyone must stow a pair of shoes, thats a place where having a designated space for each person makes sense.
Old May 27, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
However, the Alaska Lounge does not and the free liquor is worse than onboard. All of this is kind of a moot point though, since no spirits are currently available in the one open lounge right now in the entire network and by policy, none are available as a PDB, even when those were (rarely) offered.
Admirals Clubs have no free bubbly though. And most AA flights don't have it at all. I still find it kind of weird they've positioned it as something premium.
Old May 27, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I flew on 5/21 in F and would have loved to board last. However it was on an E175 and I had a roller carry on with some items that might melt if it was checked (SEA-PHX so heat in PHX is a worry). If I didn't have that I would have boarded last. I was annoyed that people did not do a great job social distancing in the line for boarding.

Currently contemplating boarding last for my return flight, which is also on an E175 as I will no longer have anything that can melt in my roller carry on and have to check another bag anyways.

I would also love it if they made some announcements to prevent everyone in every row standing and crowding when we get to the gate.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
Typically travel with only my briefcase in the current environment and at most a small day bag for some clothes and supplies.

I get on last and finish my hot coffee and work in some extra steps for my Fitbit. Coffee no longer available so I have no problems with this as an option as opposed to a mandate.

I would say that those in FC or premium are likely experienced travelers and thus can make their own determination of need, convenience, and appropriateness.
Old May 27, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I almost always board last. If I have no bags or it gets checked, my goal is to board and have them close the flight behind me. Of course, we still end up sitting there for 30 more minutes since AS boards so horrifically early.

Whenever I fly next, I plan to be the last on the plane.

Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
Coffee no longer available [...]
This sounds terrifying. At which airport is coffee not available?!?
pcoll likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 6:32 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
I almost always board last. If I have no bags or it gets checked, my goal is to board and have them close the flight behind me. Of course, we still end up sitting there for 30 more minutes since AS boards so horrifically early.

Whenever I fly next, I plan to be the last on the plane.

This sounds terrifying. At which airport is coffee not available?!?

coffee not available on board the flight. It’s available in the Seatac terminal.
Old May 28, 20, 3:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Alaska is currently boarding first class, elites, and then back to front.
chrisl137 and Xrayman like this.
Old May 29, 20, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Delta has implemented this but they are allowing Diamonds (their top tier) and First Class to board at any time during the boarding process. If that's what AS wants to go with I'd be happy with it.
Old May 29, 20, 6:15 pm

Yesterday they invited F, elites, and premium Economy to board first but also said they could board any time. Then they said they would be boarding back to front. I guess on an E175 the “back” is just “everyone in rows 10 or higher.”

Myself and a few other F pax boarded last and there was plenty of room in F for carryons. However a few Economy pax had to gate check their rollers.
Old May 30, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
My flight (on a 737) SEA to PDX yesterday boarded from the back right after those needing extra time - no FC or Premium called, we boarded last. On the return (PDX SEA also on a 737) they did it the old groups method, those needing time, families, military, FC, group A, etc.
Old Jun 4, 20, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina View Post
I flew on 5/21 in F and would have loved to board last. However it was on an E175 and I had a roller carry on with some items that might melt if it was checked (SEA-PHX so heat in PHX is a worry). If I didn't have that I would have boarded last. I was annoyed that people did not do a great job social distancing in the line for boarding.

Currently contemplating boarding last for my return flight, which is also on an E175 as I will no longer have anything that can melt in my roller carry on and have to check another bag anyways.

I would also love it if they made some announcements to prevent everyone in every row standing and crowding when we get to the gate.
At any bottleneck you will always have crowding, unless there is someone strictly enforcing distancing. The problem is everybody worries about getting cut in front of.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 20, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Delta has implemented this but they are allowing Diamonds (their top tier) and First Class to board at any time during the boarding process. If that's what AS wants to go with I'd be happy with it.
That should be how it works already; there are two lines (F/Elite and everyone else), once the F/Elite line clears and everyone else is boarding in the other line, you walk up in the F/Elite line and board there.
Old Jun 4, 20, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
That should be how it works already; there are two lines (F/Elite and everyone else), once the F/Elite line clears and everyone else is boarding in the other line, you walk up in the F/Elite line and board there.
This is usually how it has happened in the past on AS, but they don’t specifically announce it. Plus sometimes people start using the F/Elite line.
Old Jun 4, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
coffee not available on board the flight. It’s available in the Seatac terminal.
As long as the coffee is served super hot, I would say this is one beverage that doesn't need to be served in a can....the extreme heat would kill any virus that happened to land in it.
Old Jun 4, 20, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
As long as the coffee is served super hot, I would say this is one beverage that doesn't need to be served in a can....the extreme heat would kill any virus that happened to land in it.
It is illegal to serve it "superhot". What do you mean by "superhot?"
Mcdonalds lost their lawsuit. I bet there is no "low threshold" in how hot a coffee has to be, but apparently it has to be less than 180. I'm going to guess even near that it is "too hot".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: