Boarding back to front, F last?!

Old May 26, 20, 2:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If thereís one thing that I donít like about FT, and by extension flying in J/F often, some of the people I encounter are pretentious snobs.
writerguyfl, arcticflier and ft543 like this.
Old May 26, 20, 2:23 pm

I wouldn’t have a problem with it at all, as long as the overhead space was protected for those in that class of seating. I would be extremely annoyed if I boarded and found that all the overhead space towards the front of the plane had been taken by those seated towards the back.
Old May 26, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
All of our domestic flights are with UA and I agree with this change.
Old May 26, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM, New Sagaya
The OH space problem is easier to solve if the airline wants to reverse the order. Just keep the OH doors shut over F or Y+ until that group is allowed to board. Once you hear a latch clicking open you know someone is breaking the rules.

That said - early boarding has been so monetized on most airlines I hardly see that changing. Personally my calculus on boarding depends on more than the class, but also time of day. Early morning flights I want to just get in that seat and snooze. Rest of the day, I'd like to enjoy my drink in the lounge, plop down and push back.
NoLaGent and pcoll like this.
Old May 26, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I agree that the back of the plane should load first and that if necessary the flight attendants should guard the overhead in First Class until the first class passengers board.
Perhaps more important for me is how slow and inefficient deplaning is. If we are trying to minimize close contact time for ALL passengers then someone should tell ALL the passengers to not block the aisle while fishing around in the overhead for luggage. Let the people behind you who are ready to walk off the plane without stopping go ahead. This would also help passengers with tight connections. If I'm in the outboard seat, I usually sit back in my seat and watch the folks behind me walk off the plane. Eventually some joker in the back will fumble around and block the aisle for 20 seconds and at that time I get up, grab my bag, and then leisurely walk off the plane. If I'm in the aisle seat then I make sure that I'm ready to go or I don't stand in the aisle. This is only showing common courtesy to the rest of the passengers and makes for efficient deplaning.
Old May 26, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska air
Boarding last makes sense!

I simply donít get these negative comments by John and others. It is very simple for FA to ensure economy customers donít use J F overhead space. I have seen plenty of FA stop that from happening. This is not rocket science. I would much rather sit in the lounge and board as the door is closing behind me.
notquiteaff and writerguyfl like this.
Old May 26, 20, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K; Wyndham Rewards Platinum; Hertz Gold
Personally, I've never understood why each assigned seat doesn't come with a corresponding assigned OH space. You're sitting in 2A or 28A? Above you there's a section of an OH compartment designated for 2A or 28A. (I'd be interested in reasons why anyone thinks or knows it's not done that way.)

Professionally, I love that there's a FIFO/LIFO discussion happening here over boarding procedures, and that one of the factors under consideration is 'Do I get to keep drinking longer in the lounge?' vs. 'Do I get to start drinking sooner on board?'.
williwaw likes this.
Old May 26, 20, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K View Post
Professionally, I love that there's a FIFO/LIFO discussion happening here over boarding procedures, and that one of the factors under consideration is 'Do I get to keep drinking longer in the lounge?' vs. 'Do I get to start drinking sooner on board?'.
Lounge drinks tend to be better, but onboard drinks are more likely to be free. It's quite the conundrum.
Old May 26, 20, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Personally, I've never understood why each assigned seat doesn't come with a corresponding assigned OH space. You're sitting in 2A or 28A? Above you there's a section of an OH compartment designated for 2A or 28A. (I'd be interested in reasons why anyone thinks or knows it's not done that way.)
Good idea in theory, but that would mean that it would have to be enforced, which I'm sure FAs wouldn't like. Plus, increased potential for conflicts during boarding (peoples bags possibly infringing into others designated area).

And not everyone uses overhead space, so who decides who gets what's left over?

Personally, I prefer the former since I can usually get a proper drink in a lounge vs. sparkling wine (if you're lucky) on board out of a plastic cup.
Old May 26, 20, 7:57 pm

Programs: USAirways; LHW; IHG
I'm fine w/back to front - like it was before. However, I think airlines need to standardize overhead space and make it assigned to decrease hogging and jerks who use the first empty bin, then walk back 10 rows, luggage-free.
Old May 26, 20, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Lounge drinks tend to be better, but onboard drinks are more likely to be free. It's quite the conundrum.
Admirals Club has fresh guac or avocado toast and way better drink options than domestic first class.
Old May 26, 20, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
Admirals Club has fresh guac or avocado toast and way better drink options than domestic first class.
However, the Alaska Lounge does not and the free liquor is worse than onboard. All of this is kind of a moot point though, since no spirits are currently available in the one open lounge right now in the entire network and by policy, none are available as a PDB, even when those were (rarely) offered.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 4:06 am

You realize there are not enough bins for the number of passengers.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyboy_88 View Post
You realize there are not enough bins for the number of passengers.
And that is why the poster said "a section of!" Of course, that would assume every passenger had the same amount of carry-on, similarly sized and that all overhead bins were created equal from a volume perspective. The bin'ettes for A seats in F on the E175 may hold a few dozen beignets but a stanard acceptably sized roller-bag is dead at the door. Heaven forbid one passenger's carry-on encroaches into another passenger's section. There is a reason it has never been implemented; it is simply impractical.

James
Old May 27, 20, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
I would be annoyed with this. I seldom drink (and I certainly don't pay airport prices for booze!), I don't have a lounge membership (not every airline allows access to the lounge simply because you're in a premium cabin, which in my case usually just means the front of the back, anyway), and the seats on the airplane are usually far more comfortable than those in the gate area. Wasting time by boarding early isn't an issue since I'm just doing the same thing (reading) onboard as I am in the terminal. In the front cabin overhead space wouldn't usually be an issue, but I've been around since the days of overhead racks and am quite capable of fitting my stuff under the seat in front of me (I'm tall, but my legs are proportionally short -- 6-doot-1 with a 29-inch inseam! -- so don't need it for leg space). I always get a window seat, so don't get jostled by people in the aisle, and if they don't like my being there that's their problem, not mine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: