FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Boarding back to front, F last?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2018405-boarding-back-front-f-last.html)

AKLifetimeFlyer May 26, 2020 3:35 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer (Post 32403574)
If you’ve ever flown JAL, or CX, you’d know that this is what they do already prior to COVID. Frankly it makes boarding a lot faster I don’t know why we don’t this already

When I took my first CX flight (out of LAX) in F at the age of 27 I was shocked at the the boarding process and the fact we had our own entryway onto the plane. What fond memories, the best flight of my life.

flyvinci May 26, 2020 3:41 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32403063)
I'd be pissed if flying F and having 100 strangers slow-walk by my fancy seat sneezing or coughing in my general direction :)

While not in F, flew a couple of times on J with QR and if you're seated after the bar on the A350 (non-QSuites), you'll see all Y pax boarding and looking down on you. In retrospect, I'll be thinking again when boarding first and sitting in rows 7-9.

On the other hand, sat on 4F on the 777 and also saw Y pax passing through. So yes, will be boarding last next time :)

mtofell May 26, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA (Post 32403223)
Going on last seems like a privilege?

It is around my house.... my wife's been doing for 15 years and I think she's very happy with it :) :)

sjbsf May 26, 2020 10:31 am

I flew on United from SFO to SEA on May 12 and they did board back to front, F last. The flight was probably 25% capacity so overhead bin space was not an issue. They told us to ignore the boarding zones on the boarding pass and wait until our row was called. On the same day I flew Alaska SEA to SFO and they were still using the standard boarding process. It hardly mattered since there were so few people that after first class, everyone pretty much boarded all at once.

s0ssos May 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf (Post 32404924)
I flew on United from SFO to SEA on May 12 and they did board back to front, F last. The flight was probably 25% capacity so overhead bin space was not an issue. They told us to ignore the boarding zones on the boarding pass and wait until our row was called. On the same day I flew Alaska SEA to SFO and they were still using the standard boarding process. It hardly mattered since there were so few people that after first class, everyone pretty much boarded all at once.

And yet Alaska will board everybody at once when they are late taking off. But apparently operational timeliness reasons trump safety reasons for AS.

Hipplewm May 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Airbuss 319/320 have so little OH space for F, 80% of the time F has baggage in E+

I think F passengers would be annoyed to board last and be told - sorry we have to gate check your bag.

arcticflier May 26, 2020 1:45 pm

Atleast half the reason we enjoy boarding first is so that we can flaunt our privilege to every Economy seated passenger as they shuffle by.

Plus its early boarding that allows me the quickest access to open bar.

My opinion is this concept is a very bad idea.

arcticflier May 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by metallo (Post 32403694)
Sounds perfect. I often prefer to board last in F and certainly would prefer to do so while COVID-19 remains prevalent. The FAs could simply close all the F overhead bins during Y boarding (and could even consider leaving one or two "buffer" bins in the back just in case the F bins fill, although it seems this would less likely be a problem while loads are lighter on many flights).

Once a privilege or perk is willingly forfeited, it is very seldom given back when circumstances return to normal.

notquiteaff May 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by arcticflier (Post 32405449)
Atleast half the reason we enjoy boarding first is so that we can flaunt our privilege to every Economy seated passenger as they shuffle by.

and in return those underprivileged unwashed masses streaming by will bash you in the head with the 30 lbs backpack hanging off their one shoulder if you are sitting in the aisle seat :)

Plus its early boarding that allows me the quickest access to open bar.
did your auto-correct got confused when you typed “miniature water bottle” and thought you meant “bar” ?

John Aldeborgh May 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Hello, anyone can board last! Tell me how this is a benefit? If your worried about COVID-19, don’t fly, planes are germ capsules, boarding order means nothing. If you fly coach on a full plane, don’t plan on having luggage space near your seat (if at all) if you board last. My reaction, NEVER. I’ve paid my dues, I have no interest in boarding last unless I’m guaranteed that I have sufficient baggage space next to my seat, which is practically speaking not possible. Planes are like busses today, boarding last is not a privilege, that’s why the cheap fares always board last. It will also extend the boarding time as the premium passengers will all stand around complaining they have no where to store their bags and they will refuse to have them checked.

ajf87 May 26, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm not sure about other airlines but on American I'm Platinum and have MCE with boarding group 3 at the very least - people in later boarding groups stuff their carry-ons in the overheads marked "Main Cabin Extra Only" all the time, and there are too many MCE seats for the FAs to really police this. I don't want to be "that guy" but if I'm the first or second person in a MCE row and the bins that are marked for MCE only carry-ons are full I'm going to involve the cabin crew...

Hopefully this is a moot point as I think most flights are going to be at reduced capacity for a while.

pmiranda May 26, 2020 1:53 pm

I'd like it if they always did this, and restricted ALL carryons to a size small enough that there was enough overhead bin space for all.

notquiteaff May 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh (Post 32405463)
Planes are like busses today, boarding last is not a privilege, that’s why the cheap fares always board last.

I didn’t know that AS prioritized boarding based on the price of the ticket.

flyboy_88 May 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Yes, most frequent flyers prefer to seat last. They prefer to wait on the plane as little as possible. The pre pandemic method works fine though. Business class has their own line and can they can board first and whenever they want after.

Mike Rivers May 26, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm usually among the last to board, but not because I'm in First Class, but that I'm a tightwad, buy the cheapest seat I can stand, and I'm always in the last boarding group. I'm always worried that I might not have space for my carry-on, but so far (though the last time I flew was in January) I've been lucky.

I don't think I'd mind at all boarding from the back (where my seats usually end up) and getting on early.