Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] AA Moved to SFO Terminal 1 - More Gates/Consolidation for AS in T2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] AA Moved to SFO Terminal 1 - More Gates/Consolidation for AS in T2?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

AA moved to T1 on May 12. With AA's gates now vacant, I wonder if AS will consolidate all operations in T2 (none in the International Terminal).
Old May 14, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I’d guess so. Right now Intl Terminal Concourse A appears to be closed anyway.

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ngle-concourse

I also assume they currently don’t operate from Int’l concourse G?
Old May 14, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I’d guess so. Right now Intl Terminal Concourse A appears to be closed anyway.

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-r...ngle-concourse

I also assume they currently don’t operate from Int’l concourse G?
The only thing AS had left were Int'l Arrivals in A. To the extent that any are operating, they'd be arriving in G.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
AA moved to T1 on May 12. With AA's gates now vacant, I wonder if AS will consolidate all operations in T2 (none in the International Terminal).
Hasn't that been the plan for years, that American would head to T1 and Virgin America (now AS) would get all of the T2 gates?
Old May 14, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Gate wise, I believe there are 16-17 gates at T2 and I know AA was using 2 gate in the C - Terminal. There was a rumor UA might take a couple of gates in T2 but it was never substantiated. AS will have to grow substantially to use all those gates.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
Hasn't that been the plan for years, that American would head to T1 and Virgin America (now AS) would get all of the T2 gates?
The plan was for AA to move but the plan was never to have AS take over all the gates in T2. Other airlines were to move into those extra gates. Now, who knows what will happen as presumably none of the airlines at SFO are going to need all the gates they were using pre-COVID-19 and by the time gates are needed, the T1 expansion could already be complete giving the airport ample gate space for growth.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:30 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Yes, that was the plan, but COVID has changed many plans.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yes to the first, no to the 2nd.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The plan was for AA to move but the plan was never to have AS take over all the gates in T2. Other airlines were to move into those extra gates. Now, who knows what will happen as presumably none of the airlines at SFO are going to need all the gates they were using pre-COVID-19 and by the time gates are needed, the T1 expansion could already be complete giving the airport ample gate space for growth.
Delta was interested when the Boarding Area C construction was still on track for them to temporarily relocate to T2, but that's no longer starting in June due to the pandemic.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:01 pm

I was at SFO and on train from rental car they said Terminal 2 is only Alaska. I thought they used to say AA also. So good to see in not crazy.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Now the important question... what of the AS SFO Alaska Lounge.

The old one has only been closed how many years... a decade?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:54 pm

According to a recent article in the Business Times, Alaska is picking up one more gate in T2 effective July 1, for a total of 10 gates. I still haven't seen any news about the remaining gates recently vacated by AA.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Delta was interested when the Boarding Area C construction was still on track for them to temporarily relocate to T2, but that's no longer starting in June due to the pandemic.
This appears to still be the plan. An SFO press release says that DL is relocating its ticket counter to T2 effective this week, and splitting flights between T2 (D gates) and T1 (C gates), until their new T1 ticket counter opens in mid-2023.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
This appears to still be the plan. An SFO press release says that DL is relocating its ticket counter to T2 effective this week, and splitting flights between T2 (D gates) and T1 (C gates), until their new T1 ticket counter opens in mid-2023.
Which is wonderful news, hopefully that can lend support to reopening of concessions/retail in T2.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:14 pm

Of particular note, I didn't realize that the airside connector would be wiped out during the construction. Although it's still my understanding that the construction itself has been delayed, so that likely won't go into effect for awhile - from the press release linked above:

"With the closure of Delta’s current ticket counter location, passenger movement between Harvey Milk Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 will be limited during construction activity. Passengers are encouraged to use AirTrain to transfer between terminals or walk into the Domestic Hourly Parking Garage. Harvey Milk Terminal 1 can be accessed via Tunnel B on Level 1 of the garage, and Terminal 2 can be accessed via Tunnel C or Tunnel D on Level 1 of the garage."
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:17 pm

I interpreted that statement differently, as saying that the landside connector would be wiped out, but the airside connector would remain. That seems to make the most sense to me: the airside connector needs to remain for T2 check-in of C gate flights to make sense, while the landside connector would lead to an active construction site (the new DL check-in area) and therefore is probably out of commission for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.