Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dipped my toe in the water today...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
S3? isn't that the international or Delta gates? I have departed and landed at the B gates on AS, and once saw a Q400 at an S gate back in the days of very crowded SEA, did not think they needed to use S gates though! amazing
You are correct, S gates are in the International South Satellite Terminal where Customs & Immigration is located. I was wondering what International flight was departing from S3 myself. Of the 5 Canadian destinations AS serves (YVR, YEG, YYC, YYJ & YLW) YYJ & YLW do not have US pre-clearance facilities. Flights from those two cities arrive at the S terminal, internationally, as they need to clear Customs & Immigration. Since Q400s are used on those routes, you will see them in S, usually gate S1A.

James
Old May 23, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Boarding gate was a zoo at SEA today.
"Social distancing" will be almost impossible in airports as travel picks back up. People who are uncomfortable/fearful simply shouldn't travel.

Regards
Old May 23, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ctporter
S3? isn't that the international or Delta gates? I have departed and landed at the B gates on AS, and once saw a Q400 at an S gate back in the days of very crowded SEA, did not think they needed to use S gates though! amazing
there were Delta flights boarding around us. But AS was using S3 for the RDU/CHS flight
ctporter likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I'm encouraged by the fact that your post has been up nearly 24 hours and no one has dropped in to chide you for flying a non-essential trip, breaking stay-at-home orders, or endangering the general population. I simply dropped by a nearly deserted airport a couple weeks ago to see if TSA agents were wearing masks and caught some flak when I posted about it.

I appreciate your trip report; thanks for sharing it.
I wouldn’t take lack of disagreement as approval.

At this point it’s been debated ad. nasuem beaten into a dead horse. If one has essential travel, that’s fine for work or family reasons. But leisure travel right now is still incredibly selfish and as long as people are okay with being selfish there’s nothing more to discuss
Old May 23, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I wouldn’t take lack of disagreement as approval.

At this point it’s been debated ad. nasuem beaten into a dead horse. If one has essential travel, that’s fine for work or family reasons. But leisure travel right now is still incredibly selfish and as long as people are okay with being selfish there’s nothing more to discuss
Others may feel differently but, to me, we live in a pretty selfish age in the Entitled States of America.
steve64, tusphotog, ACBLtd and 5 others like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Others may feel differently but, to me, we live in a pretty selfish age in the Entitled States of America.
Sigh. You couldn't have said it better. Thank you for your service on what I consider a frontline of this war.
AS Flyer, pcoll and DrAlex like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:33 pm

I debated on whether to post this or not - and I don't want to start a whole conversation as to whether this is right or wrong. We've already heard most people's opinions on that here and, as TravelingZoomer pointed out, the horse is dead. That said, I am posting this without judgement of any kind, just as an observation. Over the last two weeks I've seen a noticeable uptick in loads on flights that I've been on. They're still far from full - and there is a commitment to keep center seats open through June. I've also noticed that the mix of people seems to have shifted from people that are traveling for some sort of essential purpose to tourists and people traveling for vacations. Some are traveling around Alaska, some to see friends or relatives. I've also noticed that a number of people come on with a mask but take it off at some point and don't bother with it again - even if reminded. I'm not posting this as any sort of judgement - just my observations. A couple of weeks ago I shared that the people I've encountered were primarily traveling as essential workers or for emergency family needs and I thought I would share this noticeable change. Personally, for whatever it's worth, I am thankful for travelers starting to come back while at the same time apprehensive about planes becoming more full and people being less careful. Just some observations for those of you that may be interested. We all NEED the planes to start filling up - but we also don't want to take a giant step backwards.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
thank you for that

to paraphrase Leonard Nimoy (Mr Spock) — “The needs of the many should outweigh the wants of the few”
Old May 24, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Thanks AS Flyer - interesting to hear. And agreed - the balance of too much too quick versus too little to be viable is quite the needle to thread.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree....this is a difficult balance for the airline industry and the traveling public as well.

Last edited by PDXPremier; May 26, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS
AS Flyer, Please accept our thanks for all you do.
We have been in California since stay at home orders came down from Gov. Newsom. Came down for birth of granddaughter and have been here since March. Trying to plan our trip to get back home to Seattle.
apprehensive about traveling under current conditions. But, very appreciative of safety measures AS is taking.
Will travel in June, using masks and gloves. Thankfully, it is a short flight.
LAX Terminal 6 should not be too crowded😫😷

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.