Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Advice on international award cancellation and refunding

Old May 13, 2020, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

Back Story: I have a one-way award ticket scheduled for June 15 ANC-KEF and June 19 KEF-TXL on FI. Booked with AS miles. Total cost was 45,000 miles, $150.60 taxes/fees, and $12.50 partner award booking fee. I booked this back in February when Covid was just becoming well known here, so I did buy Allianz trip insurance for $27. Separately, I paid Iceland Air $65 USD for a better seat from ANC-KEF. Obviously, I need to cancel this trip, it appears tourism in the EU won't be possible this summer. If it matters, my status is only MVP right now.

My Questions: 1. Who do I contact to cancel, AS or Allianz?; 2. Will I get the miles and money refund from AS due to the circumstances, or will it be miles and voucher? Or will I get miles back from AS and $ back from Allianz? 3. Any chance on refund from FI? I doubt it but figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance, I really want to avoid wasting not only my time, but the time of the agents at AS/Allianz/FI by starting down the wrong path.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
In my case I had flights booked to Australia in August. Since it is unlikely that I would be able to travel I called Alaska to cancel. Miles credited back to my account, taxes to my credit card and booking fee to my credit card. Miles were instantly credited and credit card refund took maybe 3 or 4 days. I did request a refund of the booking fee.

Sorry I can't help with the seat fee on FI or the insurance questions but I would contact FI and Allianz prior to cancelling.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:06 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
You do have to *call* Alaska to get the fee waived for the award cancellation. The waiver doesn't work online for partner awards. But you'll get your miles back and taxes refunded to the OFP.

Iceland is opening up their borders on june 15, so may not be open to refunding your seat fee.
https://www.icelandreview.com/travel...rs-on-june-15/

And this is what Allianz has to say
  • Am I covered if I cancel my travel plans because of a travel ban or other government-imposed restriction on travel related to COVID-19?
    No, cancelling a trip because of a travel ban or other government-imposed restriction on travel directly or indirectly related to COVID-19 is generally not covered by our travel protection plans.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/covid-19-faq.htm
AKLifetimeFlyer and tom911 like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. AS was generous and took no time to process my full refund (except the nonrefundable partner booking fee, which I didn't bother to bring up). I submitted a refund request on FI's website and explained why I have to cancel the flight, so we shall see. I gave up on Allianz they are useless. I booked the flight on February 20, weeks before Covid was classified as a pandemic but that doesn't matter to them! Thanks Again!
Old May 14, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS
Got the email to call about schedule change. Our award trip On BA , in F , cancelled. CS in Phoenix quickly able to return miles and mentioned refund of taxes and fees would take about 21 days. I asked about the Partner Booking Fee and got the expected “sorry, no can do.” I asked that it be run by a supervisor as it is refundable. After a hold...CS came back and thanked me for bringing it up. “ I guess I missed that memo, now I know”. Received email with confirmation of fees to be refunded, that has been mentioned by others.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
I asked about the Partner Booking Fee and got the expected sorry, no can do. I asked that it be run by a supervisor as it is refundable. After a hold...CS came back and thanked me for bringing it up. I guess I missed that memo, now I know. Received email with confirmation of fees to be refunded, that has been mentioned by others.
Pleasant surprise: received two separate emails tonight that my refunds are being processed. One for the $150 taxes and fees and one for the $12.50 partner booking fee. AS comes through again.
pcoll likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.