Lack of Transparency on AS COVID Page

Old May 8, 20, 2:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA State
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Posts: 118
Lack of Transparency on AS COVID Page

Iím an Alaska fan. Through and through. I thought I would hit million miler before age 43.....then COVID19 happened, and it may be closer to 47 or so.

Theyíve done tons of things right - absolutely leading the industry on change fee waivers, flexibility, status extension, and when I had to call today - great customer service.

what Iím disappointed in is that their COVID page is not transparent - by any stretch of the imagination - when it comes to regional travel restrictions.

Example 1: all they share about Hawaiíi is the mandatory quarantine. They donít mention that they have suspended all service to all but one island because of this restriction.

Example 2: Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta have all completely closed their airports to tourism. Alaska is currently not flying to any of these places. Not a single mention of Mexico on the regional updates section.


Quarantine is KILLING me! And Iím so ready for a trip somewhere be it work or personal, I rely on Alaska to be up front if theyíre going to provide advisories, and when the first places Iíd want to go arenít transparent, it makes me wonder how much else isnít transparent.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
mikexner is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 2:23 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 27,733
This seems like a fairly minor gripe at the moment, especially with so much changing on a daily basis. To your first point, an attempt at booking would show what is and isn't possible to book; a reference to a 14-day quarantine seems the more important information. Your second point I don't understand. If they are not flying to Mexico (since airports are closed), you'd find out pretty quickly when attempting to book. Yes, they could put a big banner up saying "we're not flying to Mexico" I suppose.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 8, 20 at 9:54 am
LondonElite is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 2:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by mikexner View Post
Example 1: all they share about Hawaiíi is the mandatory quarantine. They donít mention that they have suspended all service to all but one island because of this restriction.
I can't speak to #2 but am very familiar with #1 as I live on Maui part-time and want/need to go to the mainland but need to be able to come back (and not be stuck inside for 14 days). I've been watching Alaska and other airlines closely and I think you might be giving them too much credit having a plan. It's not a matter of them not being transparent. I don't think they know day to day, week to week what they are going to be doing. Governor Ige (who has been a disaster through this whole thing communication-wise, btw) could say a few words and it completely changes the airline's whole outlook, schedule and approach. They have no idea if/what/when things are going to happen.

I'm in the same boat and am frustrated but it's not just Alaska.... it's every airline and every part of society for that matter.
be_rettSEA and ACBLtd like this.
mtofell is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 9:26 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 69
LondonElite hits it on the head there. It will be pretty obvious they aren't flying to those destinations when you try to book. It's certainly not convenient to try to perform multiple searches before realizing they just don't fly there for the time being. We all know it's frustrating to search flights between city pairs with multiple misses when there aren't daily flights. This isn't a "lack of transparency" issue though. They aren't hiding that fact for either location. If anything, it's just a lack of a webpage that lists all their schedule exceptions.

How does a few months of not flying or let's even call it 6 months, translate to a 4 year "delay" in qualifying for MM status?
clarrkkent is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 9:41 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA State
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Posts: 118
When we return to the new normal, my work travel will never be the same as it was. Half is a lofty expectation. Thatís why my years double.
mikexner is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 10:46 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TUS/PDX
Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
[...]I live on Maui part-time and want/need to go to the mainland but need to be able to come back (and not be stuck inside for 14 days).
I’m willing to bet there will be a quarantine—which seems more like house arrest than quarantine—for quite some time for out of state arrivals. Kauai County has had zero cases for something like three weeks. I’m no fan of Ige, but it seems to be working. At least that’s the view from 3,000 miles away and on weekly FaceTime calls with friends out there.

I think you’ll be able to get out to the mainland in June, but I doubt there will be many mainland flights outside the normal HNL-LAX/SEA/Bay Area runs.
tusphotog is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 11:29 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Portland, Or USA
Posts: 1,752
Originally Posted by mikexner View Post
Iím an Alaska fan. Through and through. I thought I would hit million miler before age 43.....then COVID19 happened, and it may be closer to 47 or so.

Theyíve done tons of things right - absolutely leading the industry on change fee waivers, flexibility, status extension, and when I had to call today - great customer service.

what Iím disappointed in is that their COVID page is not transparent - by any stretch of the imagination - when it comes to regional travel restrictions.

Example 1: all they share about Hawaiíi is the mandatory quarantine. They donít mention that they have suspended all service to all but one island because of this restriction.

Example 2: Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta have all completely closed their airports to tourism. Alaska is currently not flying to any of these places. Not a single mention of Mexico on the regional updates section.


Quarantine is KILLING me! And Iím so ready for a trip somewhere be it work or personal, I rely on Alaska to be up front if theyíre going to provide advisories, and when the first places Iíd want to go arenít transparent, it makes me wonder how much else isnít transparent.
AS220 arrived in PVR at 2:53 yesterday, 22 minutes early. Didn't check your other destinations, but it appears you've not been transparent about your efforts to locate these flights.
kimberlyrose likes this.
johnp012001 is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 11:46 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,051
"Transparency" is the wrong term. OP is concerned that the page is "incomplete".

Frankly, I would not rely on an air carrier website for information about legal requirements anymore than I would rely on Hawai'i's state website for AS scheduling.

The place to check whether there are flights is on the online booking tool. That will tell you what is scheduled at this minute. If you are contemplating travel, definitely check official sources for your destination and also consider what may be required on your return to the US / Mainland as the case may be.
ashill, be_rettSEA and Red L like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 11:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,277
Originally Posted by clarrkkent View Post
LondonElite hits it on the head there. It will be pretty obvious they aren't flying to those destinations when you try to book. It's certainly not convenient to try to perform multiple searches before realizing they just don't fly there for the time being. We all know it's frustrating to search flights between city pairs with multiple misses when there aren't daily flights. This isn't a "lack of transparency" issue though. They aren't hiding that fact for either location. If anything, it's just a lack of a webpage that lists all their schedule exceptions.
An easier approach is to use the flexible or calander view to see availability for a month at a time. This is particularly useful to see what days AS flies to a destination with less than daily service.

Here is what SEA-OGG looks like for May. Of course, things can change very quickly.



Tentatively, SEA-OGG service commences on May 31st.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 12:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,037
With so many quarantines and stay-at-home orders to keep track of that seem to change by the minute, it must be difficult to keep their regional advisories page updated. For example, there is an advisory about Montana having a 14-day quarantine for out of state travelers, but nothing about Idaho which has the same 14-day quarantine until at least the end of the month. I delayed my trip to BOI until June and when I was talking to the AS rep on the phone, they had no idea there was a quarantine and they were based in BOI.
PDXPremier is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 12:35 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,051
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
With so many quarantines and stay-at-home orders to keep track of that seem to change by the minute, it must be difficult to keep their regional advisories page updated. For example, there is an advisory about Montana having a 14-day quarantine for out of state travelers, but nothing about Idaho which has the same 14-day quarantine until at least the end of the month. I delayed my trip to BOI until June and when I was talking to the AS rep on the phone, they had no idea there was a quarantine and they were based in BOI.
This.

AS ought to get out of the business of playing legal advisor. It will only lead to people claiming that somehow they got bum advice, flew somewhere which had just imposed a quarantine, and wound up indoors for 14 days.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 6:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This.

AS ought to get out of the business of playing legal advisor. It will only lead to people claiming that somehow they got bum advice, flew somewhere which had just imposed a quarantine, and wound up indoors for 14 days.
Providing no advice when known restrictions are in place could be just as problematic as out-of-date advice. All the notices about restrictions have links to state or national authorities for further info or advice to contact the embassy.

In any case, air carrier t's & c's disclaim any liability for what happens with respect to admissibility for international travel as they always have and domestically the airline obviously has zero legal obligation on what local authorities impose on anyone once their are within that local authority's jurisdiction.

They probably should put a disclaimer at the top of the webpage though.
robsaw is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 7:26 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,193
I like Marriott's language. "Customers should review government guidance to confirm eligibility to travel."
AS Flyer, Red L and clarrkkent like this.
dayone is offline  
Old May 12, 20, 9:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,473
Originally Posted by mikexner View Post
Iím an Alaska fan. Through and through. I thought I would hit million miler before age 43.....then COVID19 happened, and it may be closer to 47 or so.

Theyíve done tons of things right - absolutely leading the industry on change fee waivers, flexibility, status extension, and when I had to call today - great customer service.

what Iím disappointed in is that their COVID page is not transparent - by any stretch of the imagination - when it comes to regional travel restrictions.

Example 1: all they share about Hawaiíi is the mandatory quarantine. They donít mention that they have suspended all service to all but one island because of this restriction.

Example 2: Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta have all completely closed their airports to tourism. Alaska is currently not flying to any of these places. Not a single mention of Mexico on the regional updates section.


Quarantine is KILLING me! And Iím so ready for a trip somewhere be it work or personal, I rely on Alaska to be up front if theyíre going to provide advisories, and when the first places Iíd want to go arenít transparent, it makes me wonder how much else isnít transparent.
This has probably already been corrected by someone else but AS is flying to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara in Mexico from LAX
AS Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: