Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska's tone-deaf call to donate miles for health care personnel

Old May 5, 20, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

"We’re showing our nonstop gratitude for all healthcare workers #GoingTheExtraMile with free flights. Donate your miles to the Alaska Airlines Disaster Relief Pool if you’d like to help transport medical personnel to where they’re needed most."

Actually you're not showing your gratitude if you are asking customers to pay for their flights. That would no longer be called free. Free means no miles required.
Old May 5, 20, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
That does send a confusing message. Perhaps they would have been more accurate if they said "we're matching miles donated 1-to-1" or something that showed they are both giving free flights and using donations to pay for other flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 5, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I don't see anything tone deaf or off about this... Alaska has had their donation program for some time now, and this is just one more channel on which to donate. They were two separate programs, and this just ties them together - if anything I think this is the exact right messaging at the right time! YMMV I suppose
Old May 5, 20, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jjmadison View Post
That does send a confusing message. Perhaps they would have been more accurate if they said "we're matching miles donated 1-to-1" or something that showed they are both giving free flights and using donations to pay for other flights.
"Alaska Airlines is providing 1 million LIFT miles to AFW to fly medical staff free of charge to different locations across the United States to help relieve overwhelmed medical care systems responding to COVID-19. We will continue to monitor and fly medical workers where they’re needed most and do everything we can to support their heroic efforts."

While the "tough crowd" may find that the equivalent of 40 or so RT flights is not worthy of mention by this horrible horrible airline, others may find it a perfectly fine gesture. At what point is a donation acceptable? 40 flights? 100 flights? 1000 flights? As many flights as our MP members donate? Enough flights to send us into hopeless insolvency? A Horizon plane flying on demand transport service?

With feedback like some may offer for this and other similar measures, it creates a world of "why bother at all?" for companies that will be more damned if they do than if they don't.

Thank you, Alaska, for doing a good thing, and allowing us to easily contribute, should we choose.
(And if you think there's no cost to AS combining myriad small mileage amounts from many accounts as donations, none of which would have amounted to any sort of free travel for any of us ...)
Old May 5, 20, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Haven't United and Delta been giving free flights already? I bet they have given many more than AS is offering
Old May 5, 20, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Haven't United and Delta been giving free flights already? I bet they have given many more than AS is offering
They’re also much bigger. A comparison based on relative size would make more sense than “many more,” even if you had more information than “I bet.”
Old May 5, 20, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kar120c View Post
They’re also much bigger. A comparison based on relative size would make more sense than “many more,” even if you had more information than “I bet.”
So relative-size, hmm. Would that be like Sun Country or Jetblue?
Old May 5, 20, 3:01 pm

So relative-size, hmm. Would that be like Sun Country or Jetblue?
Are you just going to deflect? Well, I guess you did that last time too so maybe it’s not a surprise.

It’s not my job to defend your criticism of Alaska. If you want to slam them or anyone else with a comparison then provide some rational metric. Perhaps number of planes, flights per day (pre-virus schedule), passenger miles per year or other period (again pre-virus), or something that shows relative size. Delta and United and American are the largest airlines, then Southwest iirc. Alaska is significantly smaller. A critique of someone’s efforts may or may not be appropriate, but the “comparison” you used, again even if you had any actual facts, is definitely not fair.
writerguyfl and PDXFlyBoy like this.
Old May 5, 20, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Are you just going to deflect? Well, I guess you did that last time too so maybe it’s not a surprise.

It’s not my job to defend your criticism of Alaska. If you want to slam them or anyone else with a comparison then provide some rational metric. Perhaps number of planes, flights per day (pre-virus schedule), passenger miles per year or other period (again pre-virus), or something that shows relative size. Delta and United and American are the largest airlines, then Southwest iirc. Alaska is significantly smaller. A critique of someone’s efforts may or may not be appropriate, but the “comparison” you used, again even if you had any actual facts, is definitely not fair.
I guess you don't bother to actually think about any of my responses. Why don't you just google "Sun Country" or "Jetblue donating flights to medical personnel"?
And you can also google their size. Let me get you a link click here
Old May 5, 20, 3:26 pm

I guess you don't bother to actually think about any of my responses. Why don't you just google "Sun Country" or "Jetblue donating flights to medical personnel"?
And you can also google their size. Let me get you a link click here
I did think about it, and I still don’t get your point. Your link shows me Jet Blue is said to be the sixth largest airline in the US. Sun Country is eleventh, Alaska is fifth. But you still provide no facts about what any of them, or the two big ones you named before, are doing in respect to the pandemic that led you to slam Alaska in particular. Other companies are both donating and asking customers to donate as Alaska has done. Jet Blue is also asking customers for donations. What led you to start this thread and criticize Alaska over any other company?

Edit—We’re done here. Looking at your other posts, I see no point in continuing.

I happen to like Alaska. You don’t have to. I see nothing wrong with the email asking for donations or their donation of free flights, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Peace.

Last edited by kar120c; May 5, 20 at 3:48 pm Reason: Read some of OP’s other posts
Old May 5, 20, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

So their planes are mostly empty. I don't understand why they cannot give away seats to medical personnel. Even Marriott, which most on FT seem to hate, has given $10 million in hotel rooms (with Amex and Chase contributing). It just seems like a good thing to do.
I don't know why people think AS is so great. DL has done so many great things. Their evacuation flights, like to Puerto Rico where they sent a plane in to get people out. That sure isn't fun for the pilot and crew and I doubt they made money off that.
Old May 5, 20, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I happen to like Alaska. You don’t have to. I see nothing wrong with the email asking for donations or their donation of free flights, but you’re entitled to your opinion.
Well, I guess nothing will change your mind about Alaska.
Why bother defending Alaska? If I'm entitled to my opinion. If I'm like you and not going to change my opinion. Why do you bother saying stuff that doesn't do anything? If you don't bother to actually research anything and just say irrelevant things like Alaska is smaller, not knowing how many flights Delta gave out or their size in comparison?
Old May 5, 20, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
What a bizarre thread... I see no issue at all. Cabin fever is getting to people!
Old May 5, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I don't understand why they cannot give away seats to medical personnel
The very link you posted states they are giving away seats to medical personnel. Hate Alaska Airlines all you want but, this is a bizarre reason to dislike them.

Good on Alaska for helping out, and for letting others help out as well by providing donations in a form that might be easier than giving away than cash might be at this time.

Edit: I actually see partially where the confusion is, this is a different program that gives free tickets to medical personal for a future flight. Different than the providing transportation program for those needing to get somewhere.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by alphaeagle; May 5, 20 at 7:44 pm
Old May 5, 20, 8:19 pm

So their planes are mostly empty. I don't understand why they cannot give away seats to medical personnel. Even Marriott, which most on FT seem to hate, has given $10 million in hotel rooms (with Amex and Chase contributing). It just seems like a good thing to do.
I don't know why people think AS is so great. DL has done so many great things. Their evacuation flights, like to Puerto Rico where they sent a plane in to get people out. That sure isn't fun for the pilot and crew and I doubt they made money off that.
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...milies-in-need
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...ommunity-needs
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...ommunity-needs

additionally, Alaska contributes in their communities in many ways, often times without issuing a press release - unlike Delta, who congratulates themselves everytime they do something remotely charitable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: