Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Entertainment - Tech Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Inflight Entertainment - Tech Issue

Brought aboard a new Fire HD 8 tablet. Tried to access free inflight entertainment, but received error message: Incompatible device/browser. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
I have an older cheap 7” fire tablet. I had to jailbreak it to make it look just just like an Android. Then download apps from the Play store. But last time I used. I got the messsge you got. I’m hoping it just needs all the apps updated. Haven't figured it out yet.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Interesting....IPAD MINI4

I have IPAD Mini4 and noticed similar message when I'm using Chrome Browser. It works fine when using Safari Browser. Seem gogo people need to address compatibility issues for variety of browsers....

Jiburi
Old May 5, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I usually need to use Safari on my iPad Pro
Old May 5, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I use to have zero issues getting Alaska Beyond until the last year and I've had an even tougher time trying to log-in to the streaming system on AA flights. I use to be able to just have the Gogo ap downloaded, click it, and play movies....not so much anymore so I agree something has changed from a technical standpoint (I think).
Old May 5, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have this occasionally on my iPhone / iPad without rhyme or reason...seems to depend on each plane or Gogo's service at that time. Also sometimes let's me login on Chrome on one but not the other one as well...frustrating
Old May 5, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Wow..no idea there were so many similar issues. My previous Fire HD 8 connected just fine. I read a few articles about installing Chrome on these Fire tablets. This might be something I try. Thanks for the input!
Old May 5, 2020, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm not getting any movies in right now.

I wish gogo worked from home
Old May 5, 2020, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by afrugal1
Wow..no idea there were so many similar issues. My previous Fire HD 8 connected just fine. I read a few articles about installing Chrome on these Fire tablets. This might be something I try. Thanks for the input!
ANC RED-EYE has had some experience with these... paging him
Old May 5, 2020, 4:46 pm

Silly you -- didn't you know that AS entertainment system works best with a Commodore or Tandy?! Probably best in F, as the weight of the computer is too much for the E tray tables....
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Silly you -- didn't you know that AS entertainment system works best with a Commodore or Tandy?! Probably best in F, as the weight of the computer is too much for the E tray tables....
My BlackBerry does pretty good.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:21 pm

Based on the following blog post, for android devices you need at least Android 7.1 (Fire OS 6) and Chrome 77 or newer.

blog.alaskaair.com/travel-tips/inflight-entertainment-best-practices/

Last edited by dayone; May 28, 2020 at 1:43 pm Reason: Fix link.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I can get the card promo and the trailers to play, but the movie refuses to start, just sits there with the loading circle spinning. Frustrating. Using Chrome 81, but since the trailers play guessing it's not a browser issue.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
I can get the card promo and the trailers to play, but the movie refuses to start, just sits there with the loading circle spinning. Frustrating. Using Chrome 81, but since the trailers play guessing it's not a browser issue.
Got a new Samsung tablet and got exactly the same - trailer and ads work then spinning circle.. loads fine on android phone.. any advice?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:00 pm

I have a new Fire HD 10 tablet and was wondering the same thing: will the Silk Browser on the tablet work with Alaska Beyond or do I need to install a different browser before the flight? The Alaska IFE FAQ says Safari or Chrome 77 or above are supported but doesn't specifically say other browsers aren't supported either.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Dec 12, 2021 at 7:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.