Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

Old Jun 30, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
From the AS Blog:

We take the use of masks and face coverings very seriously, like we do for any safety, health and well-being issue for our guests and employees.

Overwhelmingly, those who fly with us understand and appreciate the importance of wearing masks and face coverings during this time of COVID-19. We also rely heavily on our guests to do the right thing for the greater good of everyone onboard our flights.

Our flight crews encounter moments when some travelers disregard or disobey our mask requirement. It creates tension and anxiety for many of our passengers who do have their face coverings on. So, a change is needed.

Starting in early July, our flight attendants will be empowered to issue a final notice to any guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on board our aircraft. With that warning – in the form of a yellow card handed to them – the guest’s travel with us will be reviewed and could be suspended for a period. That would be a decision we do not take lightly. By working together, we do more for the common good.

As part of a final warning, this yellow card could be issued to a guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on our aircraft.

(Full post here:https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...k-enforcement/)
obscure2k, jiburi, QT31415 and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
From the AS Blog:

We take the use of masks and face coverings very seriously, like we do for any safety, health and well-being issue for our guests and employees.

Overwhelmingly, those who fly with us understand and appreciate the importance of wearing masks and face coverings during this time of COVID-19. We also rely heavily on our guests to do the right thing for the greater good of everyone onboard our flights.

Our flight crews encounter moments when some travelers disregard or disobey our mask requirement. It creates tension and anxiety for many of our passengers who do have their face coverings on. So, a change is needed.

Starting in early July, our flight attendants will be empowered to issue a final notice to any guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on board our aircraft. With that warning – in the form of a yellow card handed to them – the guest’s travel with us will be reviewed and could be suspended for a period. That would be a decision we do not take lightly. By working together, we do more for the common good.

As part of a final warning, this yellow card could be issued to a guest who repeatedly refuses to wear a mask or face covering on our aircraft.

(Full post here:https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...k-enforcement/)
I would be interested to find out what AS Flyer's take is on this policy, but from my perspective, I think it's a win-win. It provides some measure of mask enforcement while also limiting the potential for direct confrontation between passengers and flight crews. Honestly, I am more considered about passenger to passenger conflicts than crew to passenger. I was on a short SEA-PDX flight the other day where another passenger was visibly upset about another passenger not wearing their mask. It won't be long before we see a FT thread with "Yellow Card Reports"......lol....to keep the soccer analogy going, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the red card
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 1, 20 at 8:12 pm Reason: Deleted quoted image for readability.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I can see it now. As I keep saying. The person who does not want to wear a mask just constantly pretends to eat and/or drink as flight attendant is approaching.

This "take mask off to eat or drink" thing basically kills the mask rule. For this to work we have to keep our mouths shut and covered and that includes not eating/drinking in flight and making it very clear the mask needs to be on at ALL times period.

I guess there are the few people who don't want to wear a mask, are not eating/drinking, and want to argue about why the rule shouldn't apply to them and maybe that is what this card is designed for. In that case you have an uncooperative passenger who is probably verbally abusive to the flight attendant and surrounding passengers and that should be dealt with immediately by police upon landing, not with a "yellow card."

Then there is the "small children and those with medical conditions may be exempt." They cannot require you to prove a medical condition. So that is another "get out of mask" method.

Maybe more strict mask rules IN the air terminal itself would translate into better compliance on the airplane. Yeah some airports are falling under the common mask in public places laws passed on the east and west coasts but there is a whole middle of the US with no such laws so no masks required in the air terminal.
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I would be interested to find out what AS Flyer's take is on this policy, but from my perspective, I think it's a win-win. It provides some measure of mask enforcement while also limiting the potential for direct confrontation between passengers and flight crews. Honestly, I am more considered about passenger to passenger conflicts than crew to passenger. I was on a short SEA-PDX flight the other day where another passenger was visibly upset about another passenger not wearing their mask. It won't be long before we see a FT thread with "Yellow Card Reports"......lol....to keep the soccer analogy going, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the red card
im glad Alaska is putting some teeth behind their requirement.
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I can see it now. As I keep saying. The person who does not want to wear a mask just constantly pretends to eat and/or drink as flight attendant is approaching.

This "take mask off to eat or drink" thing basically kills the mask rule. For this to work we have to keep our mouths shut and covered and that includes not eating/drinking in flight and making it very clear the mask needs to be on at ALL times period.

I guess there are the few people who don't want to wear a mask, are not eating/drinking, and want to argue about why the rule shouldn't apply to them and maybe that is what this card is designed for. In that case you have an uncooperative passenger who is probably verbally abusive to the flight attendant and surrounding passengers and that should be dealt with immediately by police upon landing, not with a "yellow card."

Then there is the "small children and those with medical conditions may be exempt." They cannot require you to prove a medical condition. So that is another "get out of mask" method.

Maybe more strict mask rules IN the air terminal itself would translate into better compliance on the airplane. Yeah some airports are falling under the common mask in public places laws passed on the east and west coasts but there is a whole middle of the US with no such laws so no masks required in the air terminal.
I support masks, particularly in congregate settings like commercial flights. However, attempts at strict enforcement are just silly, as there are simply too many potential exceptions.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Alaska Airlines, if you are reading this... I am not coming back until social distancing and masks are taking seriously by your employees (and passengers are *required* not just in a press release but in practice to adhere to requirements).

All my flying is purely optional and leisure.
This bears repeating. AS is not taking their policies seriously. Employees are not taking it seriously.

Mask stayed like this through entire flight. Two passengers in front of me removed masks for animated long conversation.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
This bears repeating. AS is not taking their policies seriously. Employees are not taking it seriously.

Mask stayed like this through entire flight. Two passengers in front of me removed masks for animated long conversation.
Yeah and go on any other airline, or other form of public transportation, and you will see the same exact thing while transit is taking place.

Same in retail stores in CA and NV too where there are "mask required" policies. Numerous people wearing masks wrong and some not wearing them at all. Many are not taking this seriously.

I guess those who are so concerned about this will need to just stay home unless they want to brawl with the transportation employees and fellow passengers about it.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:43 am

This is not a random person, who wanders into a grocery store.
This is a FA, a professional trained and responsible for passenger safety.
notquiteaff, anteater and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
im glad Alaska is putting some teeth behind their requirement.
You know, all the teeth should be behind the requirement. If they aren't, the requirement isn't being worn correctly!
notquiteaff and ACBLtd like this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...

I guess if I were to fly AS any time soon, I’d just have to bring my own yellow cards to hand out to the crew. Pathetic.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I guess if I were to fly AS any time soon, I’d just have to bring my own yellow cards to hand out to the crew. Pathetic.
Those would be even more valuable online than the AS issued ones!

And I agree, we all have to be onboard (pun intended), or none of this works.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:50 pm

So, did you ring the call button and politely ask the FA to properly use his mask?

Did you contact Alaska Listens or whatever the non-responsive website function is?
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:26 pm

I did make a motion with my hand to pull up mask. He pulled it up and when walking away, pulled it down again. Ugh...
As far as Alaska Listens, or Customer Care follow up. It feels like it would be a waste of my time. Getting a canned response with- insert name here- is not going to help me feel like AS is taking pandemic seriously.
It is about getting revenue now and will be until a flight is traced as a spreader event for Covid.
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I did make a motion with my hand to pull up mask. He pulled it up and when walking away, pulled it down again. Ugh...
As far as Alaska Listens, or Customer Care follow up. It feels like it would be a waste of my time. Getting a canned response with- insert name here- is not going to help me feel like AS is taking pandemic seriously.
It is about getting revenue now and will be until a flight is traced as a spreader event for Covid.
An email to a higher-up regarding crew not following procedure should get prompt reaction.
AS Flyer and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:32 pm

Flights are absolutely a spreader event. No question about it.

But good luck tracing it or proving it. The people on flights are from a variety of physical places and have a variety of destinations. With cases being tracked by county and people on flights from many counties, these counties are not sharing data that says Sick1 from Red County, Sick2 from Blue County, and Sick 3 from Orange County were all on Air Flight 666 so Air Flight 666 was a spreader event. They also were all just in the airport terminal (so prove the flight was the spreader event, and not the airplane terminal waiting area), many just in a rental car or other shuttle, or just used other public transportation the same day.

As far as the employee without a mask covering the nose, who knows if there was a reason. Medical reason or something. I see that all the time out in retail stores people wearing masks like that while doing physical work.

Search this Thread