Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Requires Passengers to Wear Face Masks (TSA Extends to 1/18/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS
Gov. Newsom has mandated that masks are now mandatory in the state of California. No longer recommended but required. This mandate overrides county rules. (Orange County is now going to be very unhappy)
Eastbay1K, AS Flyer and anteater like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by jiburi
Not sure whether AS will follow competition and penalizing passengers not following Mask requirement, but am hopeful they do.

I had to deal with a defiant passenger going through TSA, and causing a commotion, "Oh, look, you'll have to tolerate 20 seconds near me without my mask on" He was clearly making people around him uncomfortable....

Jiburi
And what did TSA do about this behavior?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by jiburi
Not sure whether AS will follow competition and penalizing passengers not following Mask requirement, but am hopeful they do.
I don’t see Alaska mentioned here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-str...ht-11592400726

But it would be comforting to know that the staff enforces the mask policy at all times and the airline bans passengers who don’t comply.

And I wouldn’t mind if the policy included keeping talking to a minimum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/h...nfections.html
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I don’t see Alaska mentioned here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-str...ht-11592400726

But it would be comforting to know that the staff enforces the mask policy at all times and the airline bans passengers who don’t comply.

And I wouldn’t mind if the policy included keeping talking to a minimum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/h...nfections.html
Unfortunately they do not enforce it. I had to ask the flight attendant to speak to people who had their masks off, which I (as an introvert) did not want to do.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS
With masks becoming mandatory in Washington State, should help matters at SEATAC. Masks already mandatory in California.
Up in the air, seems like a crap shoot. This is why the distancing is more important to me.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Seattle Times front page article: Airlines, passengers grappling with coronavirus safety policies
Issaquah resident Ashley Musta said her first airline journey since the coronavirus pandemic struck will likely be her last for some time.

Musta, 32, was left unnerved by an Alaska Airlines flight she took from Phoenix to Seattle on Thursday afternoon in which she said social distancing and other coronavirus safety measures were ignored.
Like masks or not, not great publicity for Alaska.
QT31415 and vanillabean like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mehdron
Seattle Times front page article: Airlines, passengers grappling with coronavirus safety policiesLike masks or not, not great publicity for Alaska.
How are these quotes from the article great publicity? The article shows the airline does not have control of passengers and paints it as risky/dangerous to go fly.

It looks like what has to happen in these planes to please the folks who are in the mask camp and ease everyone's concerns over the virus, is no eating, no drinking, and no talking. Talking appears to be a risk now based on the reports we are hearing like that birthday party in TX where 18 people contracted Coronavirus. None had masks and it would be interesting to know if masks would have helped them. Who knows. But whatever. Masks must be on at all times if we actually want to be serious about stopping the spread of Coronavirus and there needs to no longer be any excuse to have them off. If there are excuses for taking the mask on/off then the benefit of having the mask at all is being diluted. There is in reality no mask requirement. All you have to do is "eat or drink" and that is your get out of wearing the mask card.

Flying etiquette is in for some major changes going forward.

Originally Posted by Link to Seattle Times front page article: [url=https://www.seattletimes.com/business/airlines-passengers-grappling-over-coronavirus-safety-policies/
Airlines, passengers grappling with coronavirus safety policiesLike masks or not, not great publicity for Alaska.
“I would say half of the first-class cabin was not wearing their masks,” Musta said. “People in the rows nearby me were not wearing them, talking with them off.”
Musta couldn’t remember if flight attendants asked passengers to put on masks on Thursday. But just a few rows ahead of her, in the first-class cabin, Tiffany Fetters, 47, of Capitol Hill saw the cabin’s male flight attendant ask a couple directly behind her to wear theirs several times.

She said he told them: “If you don’t do it for you, do it for your grandmother,” but after they didn’t listen, he confided to her there wasn’t more he could do.

Willamette University law student Brittany Gerst, 25, felt the same way last Wednesday on an Alaska flight from Orlando, Florida, to Seattle with her 13-year-old sister-in-law. “Nobody was wearing masks,” she said.

Last edited by storewanderer; Jun 25, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer
How are these quotes from the article great publicity?
Originally Posted by Mehdron
Seattle Times front page article: Airlines, passengers grappling with coronavirus safety policiesLike masks or not, not great publicity for Alaska.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yesterday, at both airports (SEA and PDX) FAs walked around the gate area reminding passengers that the airport requires all persons to wear face coverings or masks to those that were not obviously eating. At PDX the seats down at the far end of C had signs on various seats saying do not use to maintain social distancing. On the PDX SEA leg there were a lot of airline crew passengers, all wore masks the entire flight. Both flights were noticeable quiet, the only noise was from toddlers traveling with mommy. It is almost becoming a thing to see someone without a mask on. You can see a lot of folks wearing the masks at their necks, or just covering the mouth, leaving the nose free. Wonder what is spread out from a neck?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:52 pm

Can a state law (or a Governor's executive order) extend to interstate flights?

While the feds don't regulate alcohol consumption, so that the states can require individual state liquor licenses for airlines serving that state, I wonder if principles of federal law pre-emption would preclude state executive orders from being enforced on interstate flights? If on a flight from California to State X (where State X does not require masks), can people take off their masks once the plane crosses the California state line?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson

While the feds don't regulate alcohol consumption, so that the states can require individual state liquor licenses for airlines serving that state, I wonder if principles of federal law pre-emption would preclude state executive orders from being enforced on interstate flights? If on a flight from California to State X (where State X does not require masks), can people take off their masks once the plane crosses the California state line?
Excellent question and I am not an expert but I would assume it’s similar to maritime law in that the rules of the originating airport’s location are in affect until landing or deplaning.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If on a flight from California to State X (where State X does not require masks), can people take off their masks once the plane crosses the California state line?
I am under the impression that the airline can require masks regardless of the departure and destination locations.

"In a shared mission, multiple airlines announced they will force passengers to wear face masks while flying, with penalties for non-compliance include being barred from future travel with the carrier."

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/l...&utm_campaign=

I am also under the impression that a county can always go stricter, but not looser, than the state it's in.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:54 pm

The best recourse the airline has is to ban customers who do not follow the rules. Unfortunately as long as eating and drinking are allowed in flight that is the get out of jail free card for not having your mask on. So the rule is not very meaningful.

Many airports are requiring masks in the airport now too, some in conjunction with state or county rules, some just took it upon themselves to require masks given the airports are a large public area. It is pretty simple at this point if you are doing air travel: put the mask on before you enter the airport to depart, and don't plan on taking it off until you exit the terminal at your destination.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean

I am also under the impression that a county can always go stricter, but not looser, than the state it's in.
That is state-specific. Some governors have preempted the ability of a local government to have a more restrictive requirement than the statewide requirement..
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That is state-specific. Some governors have preempted the ability of a local government to have a more restrictive requirement than the statewide requirement..
Georgia is one such state.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.